Shipping History

Shipping History (https://www.shippinghistory.com/index.php)
-   The Pig & Whistle (https://www.shippinghistory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Home Improvements (https://www.shippinghistory.com/showthread.php?t=235)

BobClay 4th May 2017 15:31

Believe me, Mr Feynman's words have come back to haunt me with some of my theories ..... :D:eek:

BobClay 26th May 2017 14:12

Couple of years ago in a moment of madness I decided to put ceiling fans in all of my rooms (it was after a particularly hot summers day had ney on boiled me alive.) So away I went, living room, computer room, bedrooms, kitchen ... installing ceiling fans (much easier in a bungalow) and wiring them all in. Even bought a couple of duds and repaired them for use (hint: most ceiling fans have two faults ... the switches, speed and light, and the capacitor. These are easily bought a replaced.)

I gotta tell ya, today (it's bloody hot) am I ever glad to have them. :big_tongue:

Farmer John 26th May 2017 15:48

Simply buy a Victorian house with 10 foot height rooms. Can be chilly when the winter comes.

BobClay 26th May 2017 18:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farmer John (Post 3863)
Simply buy a Victorian house with 10 foot height rooms. Can be chilly when the winter comes.

Errrrr ... fans are cheaper. (Especially when you can pick up a dud for £10 that needs a £5.00 switch.) :sweat:

Naytikos 29th May 2017 00:11

Why oh why put the dispensing unit in the kitchen? Apart from it necessitating rising from your seat, traversing the room, opening the kitchen door then closing it so you can get behind it, how can you be certain there will be anything left to dispense when you get there. Kitchens are the domain of cooks and they can be thirsty people…..! Could you not find a section of vacant wall in a more convenient location?

BobClay 29th May 2017 00:14

The ice machine is in the kitchen. The glasses are in the kitchen. The fridge is in the kitchen.

It's all a question of logistics.

Naytikos 29th May 2017 06:03

Obviously you need some more drastic re-arrangements.

BobClay 29th May 2017 08:29

Nope. If it isn't broke, you don't fix it.

Farmer John 29th May 2017 09:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobClay (Post 3974)
Nope. If it isn't broke, you don't fix it.

I often think this could be changed to "if it's been broken for ages, don't fix it."

When i started farming, all the cows escaped most days when we moved them after milking. No one fixed the fence, we were too busy chasing the cows.

BobClay 29th May 2017 10:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farmer John (Post 3979)
I often think this could be changed to "if it's been broken for ages, don't fix it."

When i started farming, all the cows escaped most days when we moved them after milking. No one fixed the fence, we were too busy chasing the cows.

Now that looks like the classic endless loop .... :wink::jester:

Naytikos 3rd June 2017 23:33

Years and years ago, whilst driving down a narrow country lane around 3AM on the borders of Wiltshire/Berkshire I came around a corner to be confronted with a herd of Frisians. After getting out of the car and negotiating with the ladies I was able to get past and stopped in the first village I came to with a telephone box.
I dialled 999, asked for 'police' and got a sleepy-voiced gentleman with a broad Wiltshire accent: 'How can I help you?'
I gave the location 'there's a herd of cows blocking the lane';
'Did you hit an animal?'
'No, but someone might if they are not moved';
'Are they black cows, white cows or what colour?'
'They're Frisians',
'What colour are Frisians?'
'Black and White',
'Do you know who owns the cattle?';
'No, I don't live around here';
'May I ask why you were driving down that road if you don't live in the area?'
'It's a shortcut from the A420 to the A4, can you do something about the cattle before someone runs into them?'
'This doesn't seem to be an emergency, may I ask why you dialled 999?'

At that point I gave up. I just hope the farmer went out early for milking and rounded his cows up safely.

OLDGIT77 1st September 2023 12:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naytikos (Post 4299)
Years and years ago, whilst driving down a narrow country lane around 3AM on the borders of Wiltshire/Berkshire I came around a corner to be confronted with a herd of Frisians. After getting out of the car and negotiating with the ladies I was able to get past and stopped in the first village I came to with a telephone box.
I dialled 999, asked for 'police' and got a sleepy-voiced gentleman with a broad Wiltshire accent: 'How can I help you?'
I gave the location 'there's a herd of cows blocking the lane';
'Did you hit an animal?'
'No, but someone might if they are not moved';
'Are they black cows, white cows or what colour?'
'They're Frisians',
'What colour are Frisians?'
'Black and White',
'Do you know who owns the cattle?';
'No, I don't live around here';
'May I ask why you were driving down that road if you don't live in the area?'
'It's a shortcut from the A420 to the A4, can you do something about the cattle before someone runs into them?'
'This doesn't seem to be an emergency, may I ask why you dialled 999?'

At that point I gave up. I just hope the farmer went out early for milking and rounded his cows up safely.

Naytikos;4299 . Years ago was driving a Bedford TK lorry delivering animal feeds to farms , one day
coming down a narrow country road came to a bend a lady coming the other way in her car .
i stopped , she stopped, now im on a bend [ 12 ton of animal feed on back ] she shouted to me to reverse back so she could pass , i looked pass her that had a wide gateway and said to her to reverse in said gateway she refused .[ impass ] .

she said to me to move , i told her if she could reverse my 12 ton truck she could try
i turned off engine and put on handbrake , got out my flask of coffee , for a while she called me all the names a lady should not [ i thought only sailors done that ] .
in the end with gears crunching and a lot of swearing she rerversed into gateway , she had the last word as i passed thanking her [ you can guess the word ] .

Tony

Malcolm G 1st September 2023 13:50

I scrolled up this page and realised that, apart from the latest post, none of the three contributors are ‘here’ any more. One passed and two MIA.
Oh dear.

Dave McGouldrick 3rd September 2023 18:04

And the site is a little poorer for that.