View Single Post
Old 23rd April 2017, 16:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy View Post
Ok Dartskipper see if you can get some straight fishing hooks too!
Found some straight and blunt fish hooks, so we'll be ok if the food runs out. (Especially if it runs out before the cook kills it....)

Well I found a little shop selling all sorts of old government surplus stuff. The owner came from one of those eastern places, and I think he had been apprenticed to an old carpet seller in a souk in Marrakesh. He wasn't a tough negotiator, but I don't think he quite understood what I was looking for. I asked him if had a sextant, but he kept trying to sell me six tents. He assured me they were in excellent condition, only ever having been used once. I very slowly and clearly pronounced the word S-E-X-T-A-N-T, and he suddenly smiled.
"Ahh, I understand," he said, giving me a conspiratorial wink. " One of these tents will be perfect for you. A sheik used it for his harem and entertained the concubines every night in it.!"
"No, not s-e-x t-e-n-t, SEXTANT! It's a funny looking thing with twiddly bits and a little telescope."
So he sold me a powerful telescope instead, which he assured me would help me find out my position easily. All I have to do is look back over the stern to see where we have come from, and then look directly ahead to see where we are going. Then I will know we are exactly somewhere on the right course.
I paid for it all with my out of date American Express card, and after he read my signature on the receipt, he kept calling me "Mr. Upyours."
I just need a hand to unload the tents off the roof of the taxi. They may come in handy to set in the rigging as auxiliary power.