View Single Post
Old 10th August 2017, 09:48

Olympic Pegasus circa 1970

Hello, I am new to this but need some help. I am seeking info, particularly a pic of the bulk carrier "Olympic Pegasus", not the one in current trade, but the old one from the late 1960's. I understand that it was an "Onassis" vessel. On Monday 15 March 1971, I and three companions were rescued at sea by this ship after our 7.5metre recreational fishing boat broke down off the coast of Perth, Western Australia. We were taken on board at around 1.00am approximately 50 kilometres west of Freemantle (25 kilometres west of Rottnest Island). We were subsequently transferred onto the Freemantle Pilot boat, the "Lady Gairdner" and transported back to Freemantle. Had we not been able to direct this ship to us by radio, we might well have been lost forever.

Now, 46 years later, I am compiling details (press reports, pictures etc) of the event for a family history. Therefore I would be very grateful for a photograph and any details available regarding the rescue ship. Can anyone offer some advice please.