Thread: Blocking Forums
View Single Post
Old 6th July 2017, 08:59
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Well lets see what life aboard a modern cruise ship is like for the crew then. What they do, the conditions they work under and so on. Lets see cruising from a modern seafarers point of view. That would be interesting.

Richard

What a wonderful post, but I would expect nothing less from a fellow Isle of Wighter

Having cruised myself, albeit a number of years ago, and reading comments over the years, some crew are treated very badly. Many are on board for nine to ten months. The hours they work are long, and very little time off. Their pay is appalling, made worse by passengers no longer tipping in the normal manner. I think there is a service charge on some cruise lines at least that is supposed to be shared evenly I think, but some depending on their rank are paid more, so quite unfair. But crew have told me they rely on their tips paid directly from the passenger to send home, many supporting families back home, not only their own families but parents and grandparents etc. Anyway, those who are still cruising will be better informed than myself.