View Single Post
Old 4th August 2017, 23:50

Bob. You stated you were interested on that aspect of WW2. When you worked as an ER/O for CP Ships (like myself) you no doubt bought the book offered in 1981 by company written by George Musk - Canadian Pacific - Story of Great Shipping Line. In it was an interesting mention regarding Empress ship sinking off S Africa with great loss of life during WW2. Ship was carrying Italian prisoners of war. After Empress ship had been hit and sinking, U Boat surfaced and took Italian doctor POW only from lifeboat and disappeared. I sailed with Capt Bill Williams on supertanker ID Sinclair 1979 and he talked about surviving that sinking (the cadet jumping overboatd alongside him didnt surface) and being in sea when he was a cadet. In the book it mentions how the ship received course change and then another course change back to original. After the war it said Capt Williams was told by a German radio operator he met that the course change was bogus msg sent by enemy. I wonder if more of that story is in the public domain now.

Last edited by Lucy Knight; 5th August 2017 at 00:07.