Thread: Banana Boats
View Single Post
Old 15th October 2017, 07:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rogers View Post
I guess containers put a stop to the free whisky.
I left deep sea quite a bit before containers came to the fore. But there was one episode which still befuddles me to this day. We finished facing off the stow in the #2 hatch port upper 'tween decks refer lockers and I personally put the padlock on the thick insulated doors. Immediately 4 Rolls Royce Silver Wraiths were loaded into the main hatch area leaving only about 18" between the side of the cars and the doors - hardly enough room to crack the doors even a little bit - certainly not enough to gain access to the cargo. The keys were personally placed by me on the keyboard. The main hatch covers were placed, tarped, battened and dogged. The access hatch was also padlocked shut.

When we started to break stow in L.A. after the cars were removed, I undid the padlock, opened the door, and lo, and behold there were two cases missing. If one was really skinny, and could squeeze through a small opening in the dunnage boards, accessed through the refrigeration hatch, and then in the very small gap between the top of the stow and the deckhead it was still not possible to reach the missing cases. Not only that why bother crawling all the way to the door, when it would have been a lot easier to pilfer from the cargo at the side of the compartment.

As I said, beats me!