Thread: Ships in Movies
View Single Post
Old 18th July 2017, 19:52

Fires

When Second Mate in the City of Ottawa [ ex Glasgow ] 71. We had a first trip J/E who managed to set fire to his Bunk in PE.
We arrived in Cape Town a couple of day before. Two letters came on boatd. One to the Master to say that J/E......... was in debt to the company to the tune of £ ...... Until theCompany hadrevoverd the debt he could have 2 beers a day 100 cigs a week and NO cash advances. Second letter to said J/E from his bank tosay they had closed his account as he was a bad risk. Well next port PE some one took him ashore. I was woken at abt 0530 by the other J/E hammering on my door shouting Fire Fire down below. Got up went up to Bridge rang the alarms and called PR Port control to reqiest Fire Service. Meanwhile said J/E came out of his cabin via the port onto the main alleyway. Second Stwd meets him as he came into the accomodation stark naked and asked him what was up. " There is a Fire " he say. Second Stwd say where. " Its in my cabin ". Seems he was that p..d that he could not get into his bunk so fell asleep on the Day Bed. Thats how he didnt get burned