Thread: Arcadia
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2017, 19:54
Super Moderator

ARCADIA THE FIRST 21 YEARS PART SEVEN

Due to my shipping articles in Arcadus Captain Dallas always kept me up to date with any news he received by cable. On this occasion, while compiling this special issue, news came through from Head Office:

IMPORTANT NOTICE

If you haven’t yet seen the cables from London about the NEW SHIP they’re set out below along with the Purser’s enthusiastic account of his visit to Island Princess:

“You will be receiving a press release regarding negotiations for the acquisition of the tier-two ship Island Princess and Princess Cruises Inc. STOP This is an encouragement to us all and in no small way due to the efforts of all concerned”. Signed Spanton, Head of Passenger Division.

The second cable from London read:

P&O negotiating acquisition of Princess Cruises Inc, and the 20,216 ton cruise ship ‘Island Princess’ STOP Princess Cruises leading United States West Coast Cruise operator based in Los Angeles and Seattle, is jointly owned by American interests and Norwegian Ship Owners Fearnley and Eger STOP ‘Island Princess built West Germany 1972 can carry 646 passengers STOP Since entering service has cruised Mexico, Alaska, Caribbean from home port Los Angeles STOP P&O state that if the deals goes through ‘Island Princess would be operating from Los Angeles alongside ‘Spirit of London’ Cable ends

Reply from Captain Dallas:

Arcadia delighted at the prospect of welcoming a Princess into the family. The Island Princess hopefully our new ship.

We may not have realised it at the time, but those cables saw the birth of Princess Cruises. Not long after, Sea Venture was purchased and renamed Pacific Princess and of course Spirit of London became Sun Princess. Island Princess is now Discovery and Pacific Princess, now scrapped.

Arcadia however began it all. As she reached her 21st birthday, she can look back as being one of the pioneers of the current market and the pioneer of Alaskan cruising.

I wrote the following after her 21st birthday as we arrived back at our home ports on the west coast of America and the crew change in Vancouver. This was not written in her Special Commemorative Issue of course but forms part of her first 21 years:

SHIPS WE WERE IN PORT WITH

Honolulu 9th May 1974 Hawaiian Progress, Matson Navigation Co 1970. 17.000 tons gross, 721ft length, 95ft breadth and 23 knots. This ship was also with us in Los Angeles and San Francisco and passed us on the morning of 10th May 1974 en route to LA.

Los Angeles 15th May 1974. Fairsea, Sitmar line 1956, Ex Fairland, ex Carinthia, later to join Princess Cruises.

As we set off home for leave, I wrote about the ships that crew not going home on leave could look out for as Arcadia began her Alaska cruising season for that year. Ships in competition with her then were: Monterey, Mariposa, Royal Viking Star, Island Princes (soon to be owned by P&O) Farisea, Princess Carla ex Flandre, ex Carla C, and many more cruise ships including our own Spirit of London later to join Princess Cruises as Sun Princess.

Back to Arcadia's 21st birthday. Here is what the passengers and indeed crew such as myself who were entitled to the passenger menu had for dinner:

ARCADIA’S TWENTY FIRST BIRTHDAY MENU

Captain A.H.W. Dallas in Command

Appetizers Orange Juice Tomato Juice V-8 Juice

Marinade Tomatoes Egg Mayonnaise

Grapefruit Cocktail au Cointreau

Soups Cream of Asparagus Consommé Royal

Iced Gazpacho with Toasted Croutons

Salads Clydebank
Sliced apples peppers and celery with salad cream dressing

Dressings Thousand Island Armstrong Roquefort Sweet

Entrées Poached Supreme of Halibut Mariner
Garnished with shrimps mushrooms and truffles in white wine sauce

Lamb Sate DALLAS with Risotto
Cooked in wine sauce with mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, olives

Fried Chicken JOHN BROWNS
With tomato, bacon, corn cake, pineapple and ivory sauce

ARCADIA Curry with Rice
Curried veal, onions, carrots, with a condiment platter

Celebration Black Peppered Loin Steak Inviting et UN
Garnished with capsicums, black pepper, butter and brandy

Vegetables Buttered Broccoli Whole Green Beans

Saute Potatoes Baked Idaho with Sour Cream

Deserts Kirsch Gateau ANDERSON Peach Tar FORREST

Continental Pastries

Vanilla Ice cream Grapefruit Sherbet Tangerine Ice Cream

Sauces Chocolate Butterscotch Strawberry

Cheeses Assorted Continental Cheeses and Biscuits

Beverages Coffee Tea Iced Tea Milk Postum Sanka

Chef : Gordon Mincham Tuesday 14th May 1974

You will note that the current and first captain’s names appeared in the menu along with the builders name and the lady who launched her. The menu also differs from others I have of her and Canberra possibly because our passengers were mainly American.

Pictures below are Sea Venture before P&O bought her, at Hamilton Bermuda, Island Princess before P&O bought her cruising in Alaska, and the aft swimming pool on Arcadia. I took all three photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0013.jpg (163.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg scan0070.jpg (176.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 1228.jpg (145.3 KB, 9 views)