View Single Post
Old 20th August 2017, 13:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Jack View Post
Not to forget the Humber Sceptre which was a 'compact' edition of the Humber cars and similarly equipped.

My father-in-law had several Hillman models (new) from '55 up to '68. He used to brag to me that "I don't do my own servicing - that's what the dealers are for". On a trip from Kent to Ferrybridge to visit us, his big-ends went. The garage that repaired it (somewhere up the A1) said the oil and filter had never been changed! He'd had it three years from new.

JJ.

I had a Mark III Humber Sceptre Estate in the late 70's. 1725cc twin carb, overdrive, lovely vehicle to motor in. Went all round Scotland in it sleeping in the back on an airbed and hacking up mountains in the Assynt, on Skye and around Ben Nevis.

On the way back (having become considerably smelly) I parked it in a multi-storey car park in Glasgow and went for a nosh and somebody smashed the quarter light to get in and stole all my dirty washing, jeez, how bad is it in Glasgow for clobber ?

Alas they also stole my camera with all the pix of the trip I'd taken. The police attended but seemed pretty disinterested, understandably I suppose, no chance of solving this one. So I drove home non-stop, the holiday having soured.