View Single Post
Old 19th January 2018, 07:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-17 View Post
Ooooo, The Caribbean, what a great idea Butterfly. I have heard Bermuda is very nice. Has anyone from the GD been to the Caribbean? White sands, beaches, toned bodies, oops, sorry, just day dreaming. Hmmmm?
Oh! Red - your faux pas about Bermuda being in the Caribbean reminds me of when I was there in 1960. I had been paid off from a delivery job, taking the m.v. "Bird of Paradise" from Greenoch to Port au Spain, Trinidad, and on the way, flying to Canada via Barbados, Antigua, Bermuda and New York, when stopped briefly in Bermuda, Paddy the Irish sailor, who had found a source of rum somewhere along the route wanted to purchase a postcard in the airport to send home. The lady there wanted 10 cents U.S. for this, but Paddy, thinking that indeed Bermuda was in the Caribbean tried to pay with 10 cents West Indies Confederacy currency, with which we had been partially paid off. When the lady refused that, Paddy, sensing that Bermuda was under British administration, offered 6 pence Sterling, which was also refused. Paddy indignantly muttered something incomprehensible and made off with the postcard. When the flight was called to continue, as we made our way over the tarmac towards the plane, we were surrounded by airport personnel, security, the pilot and co-pilot of the plane and the lady from the concession. There was a group of us as in addition to Paddy there were several other former crew members making the trip. On being asked who was in charge of the party, they all pointed at me and said "He is!!" (I had been 2nd. mate for the trip.)Fortunately, being a seasoned group of mariners, one of us managed to come up with an American dime, and upon Paddy swearing to not cause any further trouble, we were able to board the flight to continue to what was Idlewild Airport at the time.