View Single Post
Old 28th June 2017, 13:43

Location: Mundrabilla (haha), Melbourne really but I'd rather be in Narvik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey01 View Post
I did have the pleasure of some private aircraft flying in Austers with my brother back in the late 50's
early 60's. A member of the Luton flying Club. In the days before it became what it is today. Just a grass runway. Then the new tarmac runway was built and the big jets started to arrive.
My first big jet flight was with British Caledonian in 1972 on a B707 from Gatwick to Toronto.
This was during the Uganda problems and our plane was late arriving back into Gatwick after bringing out a full load of refugees. Eventually we took off bound for Toronto. We had very severe turbulence over the Atlantic and did a few high speed lift drops. I was to say the least not too happy. Later we were told that due to the jet ban in Toronto after a certain time we were diverted to New York Niagara. From there we were bused to our destination. In all a very long drawn out day and certainly put me off flying for some years.
Now like most of us I take it in my stride and just planning our next long haul to the West coast of USA.
Flown on many aircraft types now but I must say my favourite at this time is the B787 Dreamliner. A very pleasurable flight to Toronto on it. Home from Washington on a B747 on which we got an upgrade to Club. Said I would never fly any other way again. Earlier this year the normal A319 of Easyjet to Spain!

Neville
Upgrades for whatever reason and regardless of how they are achieved tend to inflate one's perception of flying for all time.

Ten years or so ago QANTAS in a moment of madness advertised business class from OZ to the UK 'two for the price of one'! The YMs and I decided after that if we couldn't afford business class for long haul we would not go at all.

Have done a few long haul business class since but never with QANTAS who ever since seem to be around at least half as expensive again as other mid-range legacy carriers like Swiss, Scandinavian, Thai or Austrian.