Thread: More memories.
View Single Post
Old 17th June 2017, 15:41

One memory I know I haven't shared on here was when I was Senior Second Mate of the ACCRA. I had been there over a year when this incident happened. When the clocks were due to change overnight I sent out the 'clock chits' to the heads of department Captain, Chief, Purser, Chief Steward, Sparks, Engine Room etc. I would write the chits out, sign them, find a tame Apprentice and despatch them. Simple except on this particular day I couldn't find an Apprentice for some reason or other. I thought what the heck I will take them round myself. That is where the fun started! No problem at all with the principal department heads, a few words with each and on my way again. The Chief Steward was obviously 'entertaining' when I knocked on the door as I was 'told to 'come in my Boy!' He just about had apoplexy when I walked in. I was still chuckling at this when I made my 'deliberate?' mistake. I got in the 'engineers lift', the entrance to which was in their communal bath room. I pressed platform and down in the bowels of her we went until somewhere we stopped obviously not too far from a boiler. I waited quite a while before pressing the alarm bell but gradually the sweat started. Off came my jacket and tie, Then virtually everything else. The lift then rumbled back into action and down to the platform it went. When the lift doors opened there was virtually every Engineer, Fridge man and Electrician waiting for this sweat ball!. 'We have waited over a year to catch you' I was told but at least after dressing again I was taken by the Chief for a very cold beer and the Engineers were on the right time next morning.
Happy Days.