View Single Post
Old 1st June 2017, 23:06

Mangelia and Amoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasD View Post
All my stuff! Many of which I did - or supervised - the installation of. The Drupa conversion was, perhaps best described as 'Unofficial'. The Redifon rig was not well suited to a high workload operation, however while in drydock at Falmouth, we had a walk around the Marconi storeroom, found they had an up to date Conqueror/Nebula rig in stock, removed from another vessel. Managed to 'Blag' the store chap to 'deliver' it on board, did a DIY installation, sent the old stuff ashore. Had it surveyed, presented MIMCO and STUK with the 'Fait Accompli', they decided better to do the paperwork than put it all back- job done!
Did have a fair bit of experience in 'cutting edge' stuff with STUK, the first installation of a 'Crusader'; was done on Amoria, suddenly found I had the loudest shout on the ocean 1kw vs the usual T10A (which it replaced) and Oceanspan. Later we did the testing of the 'Selcall' system and 'Lincompex' on Mangelia, (call number for the tests 45500 - I can still whistle the tones!) in 1970. Fitted the first selcall/telex system on Drupa (45501) then the first satellite system (1443401) on Genota. Wonderful, leading edge stuff in those days, seemed no end to the possibilities. Though it was visibly inevitable where it would end. The old key clatterer days were well forecast to be on the way out. Now? Now I struggle to keep up with W10 - but I can do a damn site more with it than with a T10A and a morse key!
Best ! ... Chas
I sailed on both the Shell Tanker S.S. Mangelia (supertanker) and Shell tanker MV Amoria.
The Mangelia had a Crusader in 1975, which gave endless problems. Station was Marconuli rental maintanence and QRT but direct employed Shell R/Os. The Crusader problems were usually
intermittent faults eg cracked I.F. coil, ledex switch wafer arcing through. It resulted with new pa stage being dropped by Chopper off Capetown. Ship was sold to Greeks in 76. The Shell R/O who was on board then got permission to take the Japanese Geisha doll the Shipyard had presented ship which lived in glass case.home and it
takes pride of place in his sitting room in South of England. I have a photo of her.

The tx aerials on Mangelia were whip aerials attached to the funnel. The Capt Capt Skelton) was furious with the radio dept when one fell off due to vibration and nearly speared him. It was deliberate wasn't it?

I also sailed on MV Amoria in 1978. It wasn't a Crusader tx on board then. Think had been Redifon station prior to Shell direct employing R/Os . Certainly the QRC was still Redifon. Worst aspect of the Amoria was the ship having no bilge keels and she would have rolled on wet grass. I was pretty small build then and went flying on many occasions.