View Single Post
Old 17th October 2017, 00:38

i have been involved in two sea rescues where I saved the lives of those in distress. The first was a sinking cat with two on board. It was sinking and they had just fired off the last distress signal when the mate observed it. We took it in tow to, we hoped the nearest port. Alas it was sinking rapidly and we had to bring them on board. They were nearly exhausted and one of our crew had to go down and assist them. It unfortunately sank. A month or so later I received a letter from a law firm indicating the owners wished to sue me as in his opinion I had not made sufficient efforts to save his boat. I thew it in to file 13.
The second occassion was when a fishing boat in the North sea fouled his propekllor with his nets and was drifting helplessly with gale force winds forecast. I located him after a saerch and he asked to be towed to the nearest port. I connected him using our line and proceeded to Blyth. On aproaching tthere one of his fellow fishermen friends came out and towed him into port. I received a letter from lawers again stating that I had towed him at too high a speed and damaged the stem post. At no time did he indicte I was going too fast. Again I told him to get lost. Further to this when we sent in the log book abstarcts to the charter he put us off hire fo the time involved.
Such were my so called good deeds rewarded