View Single Post
Old 22nd October 2017, 18:50

Tom and thanks to John,

I too have a similar problem, I wore out the cartilage between L3-L4 starting in my thirties. my hobby was running a once a month a timed mile against the clock. This meant running half a track and speed walking the other half for five miles and throwing wind sprints into the mix daily. Some clown had rode a bike on the track, left a rut, which dried and I caught my spikes in it and went ass-over-t#t, severely pulling hamstring and groin muscle, thus ending my dreams of Senior Olympic glory. Next came jogging five miles a day (more knee and back pounding). I was practicing for an upcoming mogal run at a skiing meet, when a skier came out of nowhere and once again ass over. This time three ligaments in my left knee separated. Surgery and nine months physio (lots of pain). Three months conditioning, two months skiing, doing fine. I took a bad fall, didn't come out of my right boot binding and slow learner that I am blew three ligaments in the right knee. Nine more months of crutches-full leg brace, walking stick and thus endith my skiing days. I wont bore you more about tennis elbow, boating accident seven broken ribs and a punctured lung, etc. and the slide to severe back pain. Would I do it all again? Deep breath...Yes, with qualifications. I wouldn't have blown the second knee. I knew everything that was coming, no surprises, that was sheer hell. But for me, being sedentary is not an option, I still fly-fish but half days, can't stand still in the stream for eight hours.

As my back got worse I found some comfort from including back exercise into my floor exercise routine and changed sleeping positions from my side to my back and placing a couple of pillows under my knees. Next I added a couple to raise my head, then added one on my left side to prevent me rolling over. I ended up with seven pillows, sleeping half sitting and legs bent. It eased my pain level quite a bit. The down side I started to snore...my wife now wears earplugs.

My wife did some "shopping exploring" and came up with a good firm mattress that is part of a system that (controlled mechanically and independently) raises the legs and head just like hospital beds. We bought two long twin mattresses that fit our king bed frame and backboard. She can set her side independent of me and I sleep on my back, legs bent half siting-up. It works for me, pain level decreased. Between the mattress and bike riding and floor exercises It's tolerable during the day. Evenings are a bummer though, especially standing-up from a seated position. The bed is a bit expensive, but worth it, anyway I'm not paying for it my kids are, less for them.

Well done John and thank you for your service.

Last edited by Rodney; 22nd October 2017 at 18:56.