View Single Post
Old 27th December 2019, 15:20

Listers were also used as lifeboat engines. I think that they were acquired by Perkins.

This sparked a memory:

On a Lloyd's Survey in Panama as 4/E, I was tasked with starting the port boat engine. The thing refused to start. I even engaged the services of Big Tony, who had been the Sierra Leone national football team goalkeeper to crank it over. The surveyor said," I'll just go and look at something else and come back in a moment", giving me a chance to think: I completely bled the fuel lines, all the way to the injectors - There was a lot of water from condensation in the fuel tank! We quickly drained the tank, replacing completely the DO. More bleeding/priming followed, ensuring fresh, dry DO arriving to the engine. When the surveyor appeared again, the engine started first time and the correct inspection form box ticked.

I subsequently wrote a report for the C/E and superintendent, recommending modifications to the fuel system and maintenance schedule. Unfortunately, I never sailed on that class of vessel again, so I don't know what changes were made. The trip of the non-starting, we had begun in winter on the US east coast (6 inches of snow on deck at St. John Newfoundland), then middle east/far east, onto Vancouver/Seattle (winter), US West coast, arriving to Panama for the transit. My own theory was the changes in temperature and humidity entrapping the moisture in the air.

Rgds.
Dave