Thread: Old radio gear
View Single Post
Old 31st March 2018, 12:47

This article was in the monthly LMRES newsletter a few days ago.

Marconi Marine at the Sandford Mill Technical Museum, Chelmsford The following has been received from Charles Marshall, an ex MN Radio Officer... As a ‘Friend’ Sanford Mill Industrial, part of Chelmsford Museums (https://www.chelmsford.gov.uk/museums/ ) . Firstly, I would like to let you know that at Sanford Mill Museum on the outskirts of Chelmsford, we have various mock-up Radio Rooms, dating from Pre Titanic to the Radio Officers” end of play” at the end of the last century. Along with several equipments that we have on display i.e. samples ranging from the CR.100 to Atlanta Receiver to the Apollo from MIMCO (and also various Sailor, Kelvin Hughes and Eddystone kit et al. I have been cataloguing the “Technical Library” there. Believe me there are a LOT of books, Periodicals etc., I am on the downward slope but these is still at least 18 months’ work in front of me to catalogue the collection; by the time it is finished it will be one of the best Historic Libraries in East Anglia. The collection from the Marconi Marine perspective is unique, I have come across several of the handbooks written by the Marconi Wireless & Telegraph Company & Marconi International Marine Company Ltd. which I have seen nowhere else, honestly the products that MIMCO has manufactured is amazing from Hospital Bleeper and Intercom systems to Commander Transmitters. What I want to say to you is that because of the above, if anyone needs some technical information i.e. circuit diagrams, layouts etc. for I may be able to help, However please note I will provide electronic media only (no Photostat copies), the pension only goes so far. Currently I am also trying to get together a new radio room covering late 1970’s/1980’s, filling a gap in our collection that needs plugging, we have the majority of Marconi Marine equipment in the collection to start with, we have most of the “receiving equipment side “ e.g. Apollo & Nebular, Emergency Receivers. And Aerial Box, VHF, AKD and a Reliant Emergency Transmitter. What we need to complete the “set” is main transmitter, e.g. NT201, Commander, Crusader or Conqueror et al.( If you know of one (or all) of these Transmitters slowly degrading in a shed, garage in storage or in a museums archive that they want to have go to a good home and could be “donated” to the Sandford Mill Museum can you please contact us to see if we can agree terms ?). Another topic I have been researching is a display regarding the daily routine of an R/O from the crews perspective. So far I have crew notice board versions of the MIMCO Interflora ad, the Kay's ad, and a Disc Token adverts plus (SLT's - I even have one of GK Services), What I need badly is a copy of a Vernon's Pools advert to complete the set. ( If you know of any others from other companies we would welcome copies of other Notice Board ads for radio services to the crew from other companies).. If we can help you please do not hesitate to contact us., Best regards, Charles Marshall Ex MN Radio Officer If anybody can help Charles then let me know and I’ll pass it on.