Go Back   Shipping History > Shipping Discussion > Mess Deck > The Engine Room

Fullagar Engines

Old 11th June 2017, 13:33

Fullagar Engines

I've put this in my Dropbox for anyone interested

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ynkx5dt9c...ngine.pdf?dl=0
Old 11th June 2017, 14:54

As someone born and bred in Stafford, I appreciate that sketch at the beginning. Stafford was once an English Electric Town (locally known as the 'Ingo.') I can still relate some parts of that sketch to my memories.

Of course, it's mostly gone now. It's mostly B&Q and Maplin and Argus and houses.

Presumably that's progress ...... (but I have my doubts.)
Old 11th June 2017, 15:50

Well bugger me, I thought I knew a bit about diesel engines but this is a new one on me. You live and learn.
Old 11th June 2017, 16:02

Dormans was the prime Diesel Engine factory in Stafford, right next to the secondary modern school I attended. Many of my mates went into apprenticeships there. I believe it's still going, but now under the Perkins label.

One of the few factories left in the town.
Old 11th June 2017, 18:37

I wonder if the engines in Sudan or the Gold Coast are still running?
Old 11th June 2017, 21:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Serang View Post
I wonder if the engines in Sudan or the Gold Coast are still running?
There are some at a power station in Australia (Can't remember where) that are allegedly runnable. One in Napier that is not (That's the one I've seen, photos in "the other place") Some in the tunnels on Gibraltar and maybe, just maybe one in Naru that was replaced but not removed.
Old 12th June 2017, 10:17

sailed with Dormans, bloody troublesome. Perkins not much better. Fodens an absolute disaster. Gardiners were the cream of the crop, absolutely excellent and a pleasure to work on.
Old 12th June 2017, 19:20

Not worked on one and not even seen one but from what I have read best suited to shore installations for generating purposes in pairs for redundancy reasons.
Although I have read somewhere that one ran from 1925 till 1970, no mention of breakdown time
The workings sound more like those of a scissor lift.

Last edited by Chadburn; 12th June 2017 at 19:30.
Old 12th June 2017, 20:12

Put some photos of the Napier one in my gallery
Old 13th June 2017, 07:00

Most of then appear to have been sold within the Empire. The Japanese railway obviously did not strip theirs down and copy it, I wonder why.
Could it have been fitted to an Empire flying boat? That would have put manners on the fuzzy-wuzzies.
Old 13th June 2017, 07:05

Not quite an Empire class, but a seaplane fitted with an opposed piston engine https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napier_Culverin
Old 14th March 2019, 16:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan112 View Post
I've put this in my Dropbox for anyone interested

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ynkx5dt9c...ngine.pdf?dl=0
A bit like a LB Doxford with some of the fun removed; no spherical bearings, no mechanical fuel valves and no elastic crankshaft
Old 15th March 2019, 06:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Serang View Post
Gardiners were the cream of the crop, absolutely excellent and a pleasure to work on.
Skipper on a 94 ft private yacht that had a Gardiner 8L3B main, and a 4LW auxiliary gen set which also drove a hydraulic bow thruster when required. 4LW had arrangement for a manual start where compression relief vales were closed in the firing order as the engine manually cranked. Fortunately never had to use that as both engines started easily without any need for prior warming. Didn't have to do any major maintenance but did oil changes, etc. Not particularly a down side, but do remember sufficient leaky inspection cover gaskets to keep the injunroom bilges from rusting.
Old 27th December 2019, 01:26

do they still make

can anybody know are lister engines still made a few shipshad them for emergency fire pump start with a crank handle .remember on the docks at Grimsby @Immingham pulling trailers took a bit of eather in middle of winter plenty of smoke good days 60s
Old 27th December 2019, 16:20

Listers were also used as lifeboat engines. I think that they were acquired by Perkins.

This sparked a memory:

On a Lloyd's Survey in Panama as 4/E, I was tasked with starting the port boat engine. The thing refused to start. I even engaged the services of Big Tony, who had been the Sierra Leone national football team goalkeeper to crank it over. The surveyor said," I'll just go and look at something else and come back in a moment", giving me a chance to think: I completely bled the fuel lines, all the way to the injectors - There was a lot of water from condensation in the fuel tank! We quickly drained the tank, replacing completely the DO. More bleeding/priming followed, ensuring fresh, dry DO arriving to the engine. When the surveyor appeared again, the engine started first time and the correct inspection form box ticked.

I subsequently wrote a report for the C/E and superintendent, recommending modifications to the fuel system and maintenance schedule. Unfortunately, I never sailed on that class of vessel again, so I don't know what changes were made. The trip of the non-starting, we had begun in winter on the US east coast (6 inches of snow on deck at St. John Newfoundland), then middle east/far east, onto Vancouver/Seattle (winter), US West coast, arriving to Panama for the transit. My own theory was the changes in temperature and humidity entrapping the moisture in the air.

Rgds.
Dave
Old 27th December 2019, 16:41

Petters was another small engine much favoured for lifeboats and emergency compressors. Always the first engines to strip, measure and rebuild at college.
Old 27th December 2019, 20:29

Lister and Petter were both manufacturers of small diesel engines. I learnt to drive on site dumper trucks powered by one or the other, it may have been both.

Both companies were at some time taken over by Hawker Siddeley and set up as Lister-Petter in the mid 1980s. As far as I can tell the company still exists.

Perkins Diesels is a separate company, part of Caterpillar.
Old 5th January 2020, 23:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Alexander View Post
Skipper on a 94 ft private yacht that had a Gardiner 8L3B main, and a 4LW auxiliary gen set which also drove a hydraulic bow thruster when required. 4LW had arrangement for a manual start where compression relief vales were closed in the firing order as the engine manually cranked. Fortunately never had to use that as both engines started easily without any need for prior warming. Didn't have to do any major maintenance but did oil changes, etc. Not particularly a down side, but do remember sufficient leaky inspection cover gaskets to keep the injunroom bilges from rusting.
Gardner LW and LX series engines could both be started by hand. The operators manual stated that they could be bumped into life by attaching a rope to the handle of the starting gear, and when at TDC on any cylinder, just pull the engine through the compression stroke without activating the decompression levers. We never tried that one, but did get a 6LX started by hand when the batteries were flat and the genny was stripped down.
Old 16th February 2021, 09:44

Getting back to the first post, I always thought that the Fullagar engine was developed by Cammell Laird.
My 1926 Motor Ship Reference Book refers to them as 'Camellaird' and shows a drawing and a photograph of a 'Palmer-Fullagar' engine. Under the listings for engine builders, five licensees are listed :- John Brown, Camellaird, Palmer's, Rowan & Co, Smith's Dock, but no English Electric. There are two other builders, Kawasaki and Ateliers et Chantiers de Bretagne.
Old 16th February 2021, 23:02

You are correct Chillytoes. A two stroke opposed piston engine, designed by W H Fullagar. In fact, the first all-welded vessel was the 620T coaster m.v. FULLAGAR built at Cammell Laird in Birkenhead in 1920. THe vessel was fitted with a Fullagar engine which proved unsatisfactory and was replaced with a steam engine. I believe the only remaining engine is in Napier, NZ, in a power plant.

Rgds.
Dave
Old 17th February 2021, 11:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makko View Post
You are correct Chillytoes. A two stroke opposed piston engine, designed by W H Fullagar. In fact, the first all-welded vessel was the 620T coaster m.v. FULLAGAR built at Cammell Laird in Birkenhead in 1920. THe vessel was fitted with a Fullagar engine which proved unsatisfactory and was replaced with a steam engine. I believe the only remaining engine is in Napier, NZ, in a power plant.

Rgds.
Dave
It didn't have much success at sea but seemed do a bit better with stationary applications.
Old 22nd March 2021, 16:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makko View Post

Rgds.
Dave
Over 100 were built for stationary power generation, mainly by English Electric and apparently performed well. I think the issue with the marine version had to do with the guiding of the top piston and its connecting rod. Probably not insoluble but it got a bad reputation and it was done for - bit like the AZ vaccine in Europe?
Old 23rd March 2021, 14:47

Ze feelthee Eenglish eat ze parsnip et manger pas de chaval, ow can zeer vaccine work avec pas de garlic. Vee will nevere take ze English medicine until ze Duc Wellingtons ne utilee plus le statue nu de l'Empereur Napoleon comme le 'at stand.

(My sister-in-law did rather admit that her countrymen might well have had a taken a purely xenophobic reaction to it. Perhaps an affiliation with le Maison Francais d'Oxford could have been pretended).
It is the duty of the wealthy man
To give employment to the artisan
Old 23rd March 2021, 16:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varley View Post
Ze feelthee Eenglish eat ze parsnip et manger pas de chaval, ow can zeer vaccine work avec pas de garlic. Vee will nevere take ze English medicine until ze Duc Wellingtons ne utilee plus le statue nu de l'Empereur Napoleon comme le 'at stand.

(My sister-in-law did rather admit that her countrymen might well have had a taken a purely xenophobic reaction to it. Perhaps an affiliation with le Maison Francais d'Oxford could have been pretended).
Excellent example of thread drift; Fullagar engines > AZ vaccines
Old 23rd March 2021, 17:09

Leave my mate Varley alone. At his age he's not sure what day of the week it is let alone what Forum he's posting to. As for thread drift, " Brexit Means Whitworth."