Go Back   Shipping History > Shipping Discussion > Mess Deck

sacrificed on the altar of expediency / economy.

Old 15th June 2017, 14:57

sacrificed on the altar of expediency / economy.

Hi All I have been turning a memory of something over and over in my mind just recently as to whether I should start this thread or not This is really directed at those 'deck men' who were serving their time and qualified as deck officer in the late 50's, early 60's and I would value very much their comments. I started as an Apprentice in 1955 and at that time all the Masters and Chief Mates in our company had gone through the dangers and rigours of World War 2. They were mostly approaching retirement age and along arrives this snotty nosed upstart on THEIR SHIP at the age of 16 virtually straight from school. How did they feel? I set out to learn my trade and don't remember experiencing any problems. Yes I got my a..e kicked a few times which I no doubt richly deserved. In 1959 I completed my sea time and I was just 20 when I presented myself for Second Mates. Amazingly enough I passed everything and was duly presesented with a second mates 'ticket'. I did three trips on the quick mail boat trips on the AUREOL as x3/O or junior watch keeper presumably to let the ink dry on my brand new 'ticket'. I was then appointed 3/O of the cargo ship DARU. TThe Master was Captain Perkins, commonly known as Polly, an absolute gentleman but a stickler for uniform. Always immaculate himself.
The voyage went well until Burutu where we started loading with logs and sawn timber to maximum bar draft. Eventually we finished loading in the early hours of a morning and I got a launch to go round the ship and take an accurate draft which I gave to the Captain, Mate and Chief Engineer and wrote on the chalk board, everything was normal. We were told we would sail an hour before high water just after 0630 when daylight would be breaking so we could see the channel buoys we had to pass between. We knew we would then have to anchor just before the bar to wait for evening high water to get out to sea. bBurutu port was under pressure and there was a Palm Boat waiting patiently for our berth. Came 0600 I was on the bridge and tested the gear.=, reported all OK to the Captain. It was a beaytiful calm morning, fine but with fairly thick harmattan (low lying fog experienced up the creeks at certain times of the year. We won't be going anywhere until this lifts I thought and went and sat in my cabin to await developments. At 0630 the stand by bell rang and I dashed up to the bridge and joined the Captain and the Bush pilot. I checked the radar was OK and could see the bank of the creek over to starboard and the channel buoys painting every couple of scanner swings. I took my position next to the port engine telegraph as we were port side to the bush in the buoy berth starboard anchor down to heave her out. Let go fore and aft and heave away starboard anchor. bThe fore and aft moorings dropped and were let go by the buoy jumpers. She slipped out nicely into the stream and Polly put her dead slow ahead. Then things went rapidly wrong and there were various helm orders, I couldn't see the channel buoys and lost sight of the creek banks and I couldn't see the compass heading. Polly was at the radar and I saw a taller than normal palm tree through the harmattan abeam of number two hatch. I watched for a second in fascination as the palm tree moved aft a little then stopped.She's not moving Sir I yelled. That we were aground on mud was obvious but I couldn't do anything other that what I was ordered in regards engine movements ] and helm orders. The engine was astern and the wash was full of mud and the palm tree stayed where it was. Eventually Polly odered the engine to be kept going dead slow astern, the second mate was now on the bridge andr took over from me and Pollly told me to get a lead line and sound around the ship. This I did and drew a sketch map of the ship with all the soundings showing. We were well aground from right forward to the after end number three hatch to starboard. To port there was enough water from the after end of number one hatch aft.
The tide was now at full ebb and we were losing water quickly. Polly called a meeting and laid out his plan of action. This included carrying back the two forward anchors derrick to derrick. Carrying out the spare anchor to mid channel by lashed lifeboats from aft, two stern lines to trees across the channel to the port bank. With a great deal of hard work from all hands and the cook this was achieved and at evening high water 30 odd hours later she came off as if she had never been aground and we steamed between the channel buoys to a safe anchorage where we all got som sleep.
that is the story.
Sequel: when we arrived back in UK there was an enquiry at Head Office, India Buildings, to which I was called to attend. I was asked was it my signature to the entries in the Bell Book and the rough Log Book. I looked at it and agreed it was. I was then asked what was the vizibility at the time? Poor I said. Could you see the banks of the creek and the channel buoys? When we left the berth yes after no! I was asked to step off the distances. Using dividers I weent to the creek chart and measured 2.2 cables and 2.4 cables. Thank you Mr. Woodend you all did very wellk out there. Finish!
I hope you all get the gist of the happenings. As a result Polly was put out to early pasture and my query is was he one of the first ones sacrificed on the altar of expediency / economy and it has bothered me a lot lately.