Go Back   Shipping History > Shipping Discussion > Mess Deck

virtual crazy gang, part II

Old 5th May 2017, 08:57

Location: Mundrabilla (haha), Melbourne really but I'd rather be in Narvik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-17 View Post
Until I have all the facts about what is going on I shall remain cautious. It is in my nature, that applies to everything!

Please don't mention KJU's name again, it brings me out in hives. Anybody got any calamine lotion handy?
Cautious - what are you doing aboard the GD?
I am sure that someone will have some calamine and may even volunteer to apply it for you. Not me - I have been around long enough to know 'NEVER VOLUNTEER FOR ANYTHING'. I am still training the YMs (who is the nearest thing to a Saint that I will ever know) to do the same.
Old 5th May 2017, 09:01

Quote:
Until I have all the facts about what is going on I shall remain cautious. It is in my nature, that applies to everything!

Please don't mention KJU's name again, it brings me out in hives. Anybody got any calamine lotion handy?
I think the Chief Gingerbeer may be able to help with some of his lubricating fluids and vegetable based moisturising concoctions in his domain of mechanical marvels. He should have something that will help with your dermal issues Red-17. If you ask him nicely, he may even offer to help apply them for you.....
Old 5th May 2017, 09:22

Location: Mundrabilla (haha), Melbourne really but I'd rather be in Narvik
Try Bunker C applied with cotton waste for a start, perhaps ..........
Old 5th May 2017, 10:10

I think the 'patient notes' require it to be applied with a lint free rag.
It is the duty of the wealthy man
To give employment to the artisan
Old 5th May 2017, 10:55

on bridge with Red-17.

Right Red-17 this control panel here is for sailing, see the mast up forard? it telescopic and extends to about 70 feet. we can rig and trim sail right from here.
This panel controls the hydrafoils which will lift the ship so only the props are in the water.
This one controls our towing winch.
This one we use when we want to submerge. we sound the alarm seal ship and dive all from this panel. Over there is our navigational charts. Through that door is the Radio shack. you only go in there to request a link call or to get something electrical repaired, like your electic toothbrush for instance....and please knock first or Varley will be upset.
and here across the front we have all the navigational equipment. Talegraphs, bridge control units, radars, auto pilot, GPS unit,Dps and of course the wheel for manual steering. everything is automated and alarmed and we have remote controls that we can use to control or adjust things from down below. Thats the bridge in general Red-17. (we can also open outer doors and fire a torpedo forward and one aft). Maybe Tmac will show you the engine room control boothe (soundproof) later if you ask him. I hope that helps you to understand how the ship works. for me to explain anything in more detail you would have to sign the official secrets act.
Old 5th May 2017, 13:53

Away, Sir William, don't forget the Cocoa brewing area in the Chart Room, convenient for when we want to spill Cocoa on the charts.
Old 5th May 2017, 22:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy View Post
on bridge with Red-17.

Right Red-17 this control panel here is for sailing, see the mast up forard? it telescopic and extends to about 70 feet. we can rig and trim sail right from here.
This panel controls the hydrafoils which will lift the ship so only the props are in the water.
This one controls our towing winch.
This one we use when we want to submerge. we sound the alarm seal ship and dive all from this panel. Over there is our navigational charts. Through that door is the Radio shack. you only go in there to request a link call or to get something electrical repaired, like your electic toothbrush for instance....and please knock first or Varley will be upset.
and here across the front we have all the navigational equipment. Talegraphs, bridge control units, radars, auto pilot, GPS unit,Dps and of course the wheel for manual steering. everything is automated and alarmed and we have remote controls that we can use to control or adjust things from down below. Thats the bridge in general Red-17. (we can also open outer doors and fire a torpedo forward and one aft). Maybe Tmac will show you the engine room control boothe (soundproof) later if you ask him. I hope that helps you to understand how the ship works. for me to explain anything in more detail you would have to sign the official secrets act.
Thanks for all that information billyboy I will try and remember it all. Just one thing that you didn't explain to me, what are the two LARGE buttons for, one red and one green?

Vicki D
Old 5th May 2017, 23:17

Tranquilo. Were the old tub to be quite that automated I would be alarmed too. Very.

(But do knock, I like to have the glasses out before receiving guests).
Old 5th May 2017, 23:32

Quote:
Thanks for all that information billyboy I will try and remember it all. Just one thing that you didn't explain to me, what are the two LARGE buttons for, one red and one green?
when needs be we can sound an alarm before hitting the big red button at which time the ship will surge forward reaching speeds of up to XX Knots (classified). However, we can only maintain this speed for 30 minutes befor Tmac starts howling up the voice pipe for more black bush. the green button gives us our maximum economical speed of 25 knots.
Old 6th May 2017, 02:03

Graham the pipe Smith - You'll be needing a uniform. It just so happens that I found a 007 uniform. It would look great on you! It comes complete with a martini glass and shaker. Now, if I may please, we just need a few measurements.
Old 6th May 2017, 06:22

thank you Pats. you are a good lady bosun. dont know how we could manage without you.
I got quite excited when you measured my inside leg. I get hot flushes just thinking about it.
Old 6th May 2017, 07:41

Quote:
thank you Pats. you are a good lady bosun. dont know how we could manage without you.
I got quite excited when you measured my inside leg. I get hot flushes just thinking about it.
Wot's this about "hot flushes"??? Don't tell me that Tmac has got the condenser feed line crossed with the sanitation supply?? Or have Squeek and Ratty mutinied again?? (Tmac would never, never, ever admit to such an egregious error!)
Old 6th May 2017, 07:55

Good bus service here on the North Island -- we are patiently waiting in the Munchen: Food hall & Bier Haus -- a very short stagger from our booked berth at Queens Wharf in Wellington. See you laggards soon??
Old 6th May 2017, 09:10

Hands are aft at the moment Tom, watching a Southern Ocean oozalum bird trying to land. It keeps going round and round in circles, and seems to be having a little trouble.
Hang on a minute, the circles are suddenly getting smaller.......oooohhh dear......oooooh nasty,....it's disappeared.
Old 6th May 2017, 10:25

you sure we are in NZ? Not seen a blue eyed sheep anywhere. The stories I have heard must not be true then!
An Australian gentleman assured me there were some here. Maybe they married off already.
Old 6th May 2017, 10:27

I haven't noticed. I usually don't usually look them face on.
Old 6th May 2017, 18:21

Quote:
It's important that the crew looks smart in public - even though we may not be smart. Cutouts are always available to clean and press our uniforms.
Old 7th May 2017, 02:34

Tmac

Somebody mentioned Tmac? Where is he these days? Never see him, don't hear from him. Was it something I said, or didn't say?

Vicki D
Old 7th May 2017, 02:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriciaAnnT View Post
It's important that the crew looks smart in public - even though we may not be smart. Cutouts are always available to clean and press our uniforms.
Patsy, I am more than happy to share your uniform fitting duties with you, seems like you are having all the fun .

Vicki D
Old 7th May 2017, 04:30

Golden Dreamer to SSR. Prepare for hack. I've purchased a car with the Titanium card. Now, how do I tell Sir William, Sir. I'll break the news to him as I hand him a drink. What's his favourite drink? I should know this by now.
Old 7th May 2017, 07:54

Quote:
Somebody mentioned Tmac? Where is he these days? Never see him, don't hear from him. Was it something I said, or didn't say?
he will be under the Plates (engine room floor) he has his drawing office down there where he designed most of the secret features on this ship.
Old 7th May 2017, 08:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriciaAnnT View Post
Golden Dreamer to SSR. Prepare for hack. I've purchased a car with the Titanium card. Now, how do I tell Sir William, Sir. I'll break the news to him as I hand him a drink. What's his favourite drink? I should know this by now.
From my experience Pats his favourite drink is anything that has alcohol in it -- and the more the merrier. A triple Pusser's would probably do the trick though.
Old 7th May 2017, 10:09

Billyboy is dreaming ...... wonder if that will be a topless serving
Old 7th May 2017, 14:29

Quote:
Billyboy is dreaming ...... wonder if that will be a topless serving
You're right billyboy you're dreaming.

Vicki D
Old 7th May 2017, 14:47

OK guys, and girls, it is time that we took a step out of the ordinary. Enough of this drinking and running around like headless chickens. It is time for a serious adventure that does not include bars and all the niceties of life.

We are as close to the Antarctic as we are ever going to be. Tmac, would this ship be able to endure the rigours of the Antarctic? If so, why are we not taking the next step to an adventure that has not been done in a long time.

Remember Shackleton? He took the step into the unknown, as has been written into history. The GD can do that as well. I believe that with the crew that we now have we can achieve great things.

Tmac, Varley, Capt. Tom, billyboy, Patsy, SSR, YM, Dartskipper, Farmer John, even Squeek and Eric,the mules, sheep and chickens, WE CAN DO THIS!

Are you with me?

Vicki D