Go Back   Shipping History > Shipping Discussion > Mess Deck

virtual crazy gang, part II

Old 7th May 2017, 15:41

Can you be a little more specific? And a little warmer would be good. Shackleton ended up having to walk, that doesn't sound good.
Old 7th May 2017, 17:16

And who pray tell is going to cook the mules, sheep and chickens?...Starve then!

Rodney
Old 7th May 2017, 17:49

Rodney, the mules would cause severe indigestion, and I think that barbeque cooking on the decks in the Antarctic would not be the best idea, we are sort of hoping you will do the culinary artistry. Myself, I think Spit-roast Emperor Penguin might be a bit fishy, but I am open to contrary thoughts from anyone who has actually tried it. We would probably have to have some specially constructed egg cups for a Brekky egg from even a Chinstrap. Even thinking about this is making me cold.
Old 7th May 2017, 19:01

I think we need to do more research on Red-17's proposed exposition. First we will need to be kitted out with thermal underwear, so Pats will be tied up for a while doing all the measurements. Then the ship's carpenter (have we got one?) will have to build some sleds for the dogs to pull over the snow if we had any dogs. Also, personally I have experienced sub-zero temperatures when working in the great outdoors, and once was enough. I start shivering now when the temperature drops below 16 C. We will need to take lots of 70 proof antifreeze.
Old 7th May 2017, 19:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-17 View Post
OK guys, and girls, it is time that we took a step out of the ordinary. Enough of this drinking and running around like headless chickens. It is time for a serious adventure that does not include bars and all the niceties of life.

Ha ha God but I LOVE a commedian....

We are as close to the Antarctic as we are ever going to be. Tmac, would this ship be able to endure the rigours of the Antarctic? If so, why are we not taking the next step to an adventure that has not been done in a long time.

Madam, this fine vessel can withstand ANY and ALL trials and tribulations required of it, one of our secret additions is a reinforced Titanium hull with breast hooks made of Carbon steel. As for why we have never endured the rigours of the Antarctic Sir Billy has not enlightened you to our previous circumnavigation of the globe pole to pole and underwater to boot.

Remember Shackleton? He took the step into the unknown, as has been written into history. The GD can do that as well. I believe that with the crew that we now have we can achieve great things.

Shackleton was given several DR's and eventually thrown over the rail as a lightweight

Tmac, Varley, Capt. Tom, billyboy, Patsy, SSR, YM, Dartskipper, Farmer John, even Squeek and Eric,the mules, sheep and chickens, WE CAN DO THIS!

NO WE CAN'T AS IT'S TOO BLOODY COLD (and I don't like the taste of Penguin)

Are you with me?
]Nope I'm with the Woolwich

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried

Anything God didn't create was made by engineers.

I try so hard to make things idiot proof but they keep making better idiots

Last edited by Tmac1720; 7th May 2017 at 19:18.
Old 7th May 2017, 19:40

Oi! would you lot just slow down for a bit. I've been chasing you for what seems half way round the world and had to blag fuel at anywhere that wasn't looking.

If you look over the side you will see a big orange floaty boaty thing with writing on the roof - and it doesn't say Golden Dreamer.
As I said I popped over to a passing vessel to attempt a replenishment of the crew bar. These chaps don't do RASes so I got stuck and ended up in their next port of call. Dunno where it was but they spoke foreign, as did most of the crew actually.
This boaty thing was dropped over the side and someone said something about drill; well I had a good look and I can't find any holes so I don't know what that was about.
There it was just sat in the water unattended, well sort of, the two men were outside doing something like cleaning the windows and I thought: "Why not?" - They were wearing life jackets so I'm sure they will be alright.
It said something about being tender but it seems quite tough so I don't know what that was about either. I did think it needed a little weight to make it more stable so I found some boxes on another quay and sort of dropped them in.
Anyway it now handles quite well and I just love the way you can chuck it around with those two engines. As I said it does tend to be a bit thirsty they way I drive it.
Also, have you ever driven one of those gas powered fork lift trucks? Great fun, just make sure to get off if you happen to miss the brake pedal - fortunately it missed the boat.

Well, now I have this boat and here we are. I have absolutely no idea what is in the boxes, I was too busy trying to catch you up.

Next, some questions:
Do you want the boat? - They surely wont miss it they had plenty more.
If you do how do we get it aboard?
Maybe someone could paint something over the writing on the roof.

Is there anything else you need?
Old 8th May 2017, 00:41

Cut outs! Hoist that boat aboard immediately. Break out the paint I want it painted gold and made to look like our old launch, so, you will need to cut a couple of bits off.

Malcolm you are on free booze today Mate.

Soon as its on board unload those casses and lets check the loot heh heh heh.
Old 8th May 2017, 01:27

Location: Mundrabilla (haha), Melbourne really but I'd rather be in Narvik
Think that I will stay in the ER where it will still be warm even in the Antarctic (I hope).
Definitely be warmer than here in Melbourne where it will be only about 15C today.
Old 8th May 2017, 01:32

Yeah, Managed to find a telegraph avatar... this one reads Full ahead!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg telegraph.jpg (11.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 8th May 2017, 01:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer John View Post
Can you be a little more specific? And a little warmer would be good. Shackleton ended up having to walk, that doesn't sound good.
He didn't have to walk far, only over the mountain, near where he had landed on Tierra Del Fuego, to get to the whaling station and arrange rescue for his men. Anyway Farmer John, how specific do you want me to be?

Wow!! I've just noticed we have all our smilies. Thanks Steve/Andy.

Vicki D
Old 8th May 2017, 01:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartskipper View Post
I think we need to do more research on Red-17's proposed exposition. First we will need to be kitted out with thermal underwear, so Pats will be tied up for a while doing all the measurements. drops below 16 C. .
I have already offered to help Pats with any fittings. She can't possibly do all of you on her own.

Vicki D
Old 8th May 2017, 02:04

You are welcome to assist Pats at any time. Its good you ladies help each other. I'll get you your personal tape measure.
Old 8th May 2017, 02:07

Tmac

I gather from your response, and that of others aboard the GD, you're not too keen on an expedition to the Antarctic. I thought that we were all here for an adventure, now I discover that you have done them all and just want to rest on your laurels! Humph, (toss of head Miss Piggy style). Are adventures and variety the domain of the men on board to come up with? I was just trying to be proactive.

What's a DR? Seems like a few of you aboard have been given one and now you are saying Shackleton was given one and that he was a lightweight. Compared to whom?

Vicki D
Old 8th May 2017, 02:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy View Post
You are welcome to assist Pats at any time. Its good you ladies help each other. I'll get you your personal tape measure.
Gold Plated, please Sir?

Vicki D
Old 8th May 2017, 02:54

Naturally the end metal pieces are Gold, the numbers are white on black.
hold one end by the ankle and allow the tape to slip through the other hand all the way to the top of the inside leg. but be sure to leave an allowance for which ever side the gentleman dresses.
Old 8th May 2017, 07:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-17 View Post
What's a DR? Seems like a few of you aboard have been given one and now you are saying Shackleton was given one and that he was a lightweight. Compared to whom?
DR -- didn't see the context. but usually refers to "Dead Reckoning" position. ( As opposed to a fix) DR is therefore the best guess as to where we are based on speed, drift or leeway, and current. A fix is where an exact (more or less) location has been derived from more scientific measurements such as sun or star sights, or compass bearings of fixed land objects. If you care to come up to the wheelhouse at sometime, I'll show you my Norries Nautical Tables, the current Nautical Almanac, and explain spherical trigonometry for you. (We do have some chilled Dom Perignon in the chartroom fridge!!)
Old 8th May 2017, 08:38

Quote:

Malcolm you are on free booze today Mate.
Cheers Boss, Ta very much

I was hoping that you wouldn't tell me to take it back.

btw - Isn't free booze already part of the job for running the bar? Or did I get that bit wrong?

Last edited by Malcolm G; 8th May 2017 at 19:00. Reason: bloody tablet reversed the meaning!
Old 8th May 2017, 10:35

You've got it wrong. It isn't Mrs Varley's little boy that does the explory thing it's Mrs Varley's Brother-in-Law and I am quite sure I could not get Uncle Bruv to come with us. I don't even know where his urn is.
It is the duty of the wealthy man
To give employment to the artisan
Old 8th May 2017, 10:38

[QUOTE=Tom Alexander;2563]DR -- didn't see the context.

[I]Shackleton was given several DR's and eventually thrown over the rail as a lightweight[/I]

In this context Tom.

Vicki D
Old 8th May 2017, 11:40

My apologies Red-17 but you have settled in so well you are regarded as an "old hand" which is a compliment by the way.

DR = Declined to Report in other words he was feckin' useless and not worthy of comment. (i.e. Questionable behaviour)

If it is adventure and excitement you seek I will be delighted to explain the mysteries of the Golden Rivet and also the shafting arrangements below the steering gear flat if you think you are brave enough to venture into such uncharted waters

Last edited by Tmac1720; 8th May 2017 at 11:42.
Old 8th May 2017, 11:57

If you are going down the engine room be sure to wear ear defenders if we are steaming at sea, Its rather noisy. not so loud in the tunnel where you can see Tmacs shafting.
Old 8th May 2017, 17:09

Apsley Cherry-Garrard wrote a book called "The Worst Journey in the World" and he was just going for a little walk to see some Penguins. I find this troubling, it doesn't sound as though he really enjoyed it, and no-one wanted the eggs they brought back. Perhaps we could rig a very cold shower on the deck and all stand in it for 2 hours and then vote on going South. I always wanted to do this but just lately I have lost the inclination.
Old 8th May 2017, 17:15

Just a short quote from Mr, Cherry Garrard.

"I for one had come to that point of suffering at which I did not really care if only I could die without much pain. They talk of the heroism of the dying – they little know – it would be so easy to die, a dose of morphia, a friendly crevasse, and blissful sleep. The trouble is to go on…"

Oh, and his teeth exploded from the cold.
Old 8th May 2017, 20:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer John View Post

Oh, and his teeth exploded from the cold.
I've seen gonads do that

Old 8th May 2017, 20:49

Quote:
Yeah, Managed to find a telegraph avatar... this one reads Full ahead!
Billyboy, could you find another set of telegraphs to go with your avatar? I'm a bit worried that if you ring down Full Ahead on that one, we will end up going around in circles. I would be happier being able to ring for Full Ahead Both. Of course, if Tmac has commissioned a third engine and propeller shaft, we would have to ring down for Full Ahead Together.

Of course, you could always engage Iron Mike and let him apply massive amounts of corrective helm. Tmac is justly proud of the phenomenal SHP achieved by his machinery , so Full Ahead on one should still give us our 25 knot cruising speed, but only with the helm hard over.