Go Back   Shipping History > Swinging The Lamp (Off Topic) > Life After The Sea

Old 14th April 2018, 22:05

After the sea, the land.

When I left the sea, I took to Estate Agency, rather like many used to take to Highway Robbery after some economic set back. Once thing had settled down a bit, I spent a short time transplanting semi-mature trees. We tipped them over onto a two wheel trailer, the notion being to have the tree top-hamper extend into the van. Some got so big they went right over me and my Fordson Major and brushed the road in front, going round corners was quite laugh and you needed to take great care.

Then I went into farming, the advert asked for a cowman and offered a house. That was me lost to the real world for about 15 years. Simply not possible these days, but I really do feel that, leaving the sea, I then married the land.

Last edited by Farmer John; 14th April 2018 at 22:23.
Old 20th May 2018, 22:06

When I left the sea in 1986 I was a bit of a fish out of water. Worked for a while at MOD Donnington. Then tried selling encyclopaedias for Britannica, total sales NIL; (I simply don't have the heart to be a salesman, perhaps not enough BS in my DNA,) then worked for BT climbing poles, not a bad job but crap pay and there came a time up a pole on Biddulph Moor in the middle of winter trying to sort out thin telephone wires with frozen hands when I thought :"**** this."

So then I joined GCHQ which was ok. But the Cold War ended and they started to wind it all down. (I mean, how bloody unlucky is that … ?) (They've since wound it all back up again, aint that the way of the world ?)

Still that gave me some computer time so I ended up working in a Devon Community College and looking after the systems. Not brilliantly paid, and noisier than a super tanker engine room, but strangely, not that different a job than I had at sea. You were pretty much your own boss, doing something nobody else knew much about.

Nice way to slide into retirement, although I still do a bit at the village school … just helping out really.

Funny old business is retirement.

Last edited by BobClay; 22nd May 2018 at 04:12.
Old 21st May 2018, 22:30

I think you deserve recognition for ending the Cold War, Bob. Those Russkis obviously knew the game was up when you joined GCHQ!
Old 22nd May 2018, 03:02

I left the sea in 1986 when Sealink disappeared and turned into British ferries time to go ! I join a local dairy company as chief engineer and stayed there for 26 years . That got taken over by dairy Farmers of Britain and they shut everything down when they went bankrupt time for an early retirement 10 years ago
Old 22nd May 2018, 13:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer John View Post
Then I went into farming, the advert asked for a cowman and offered a house. That was me lost to the real world for about 15 years. Simply not possible these days, but I really do feel that, leaving the sea, I then married the land.
I did it the other way round. I was born and raised on a farm where my Dad was a cattleman. I enjoyed the life, but was encouraged to "Get a trade." Served an apprenticeship as an Electrician in a jute mill in Dundee. During this time, I joined the RNR and spent many a happy weekend "playing sailors."

After finishing my apprenticeship, I joined BP Tanker Company and had six and a half very happy years there. Unfortunately, there was an oil crisis in 1974/75 when many ships were being laid up. Lucky for me, this coincided with the start up of the Forties field by BP, and I got a free transfer. Working offshore was very much like being on a ship, only difference was that we didn't go anywhere!

Made redundant at the end of 1995, and got a job in Australia on the North West shelf. That job lasted 18 months, and when I came home, I got a job with AMEC in Aberdeen on BP work!

Now retired and trying to take it easy, if my Wife will let me.