Go Back   Shipping History > Swinging The Lamp (Off Topic) > Vintage Vehicles, classic cars etc...

Vintage Vehicles

Old 28th July 2017, 20:11

The metal motor toys I remember as a kid were Dinky Toys and Matchbox toys. They covered a huge selection of cars, vans, lorries and military vehicles. But I think there were quite a lot of other firms producing similar toys, one I think called Corgi.
Old 28th July 2017, 21:10

You are correct Bob. Corgi were revolutionary as they made their cars to the same scale as Dinky Toys, but had extra details such as glazed windows, spring suspension, and eventually a moulded plastic interior to represent the seats, and a steering wheel. Dinky followed on eventually, and there was quite a "war" at Christmas time as the quality and detail of both ranges improved. Another short lived competitor was Spot On, who made their cars to a constant scale that matched O Gauge model railways.

Competitors to Matchbox (Lesney) were Impy and Benbros. These ranges were much narrower in scope compared with the Lesney products. Another company produced Crescent Toy cars. They produced some very good replicas of Formula 1 racing cars. (The ones with the engine at the front and the driver sitting behind a large steering wheel at the back.)

I know, I need to get out more....now where did I put that tank transporter and tank?
Old 28th July 2017, 21:46

I collected military dinky toys as a kid. Had the Centurian Tank and it's transporter, also the 25 pounder field gun set, a small trailer and a sort of Jeep pulling vehicle. A Saracen armoured car, scout vehicle, all sorts. I spent years collecting them then sold the whole lot lock stock and barrel for a couple of quid (lot of money in the early sixties) when I got older.

Now they're collectors items !!! ..... go figure. (Although I never kept the boxes which apparently the serious collectors insist on.)

Last edited by BobClay; 30th July 2017 at 20:15.
Old 28th July 2017, 21:57

I still have the Antar transporter and Centurion, although the box is long gone. I also have the Foden flat truck (with chains) in its original box. Nowhere near pristine though, so not worth much now, except for the memories.
Old 30th July 2017, 18:54

The problem with the original Lesney Matchbox vehicles was that they were made to a standard size to fit in the 'matchbox' cardboard box. The result was that there was no consistency of scale and a double deck bus was maybe shorter than the MG sports car but just a little taller. The original series was numbered (up to 50 I think) and was sold from a custom display.

Yes I also had 'The Mighty Antar' tank transporter with its Centurion tank - rubber tracks, rotating turret.
Old 5th August 2017, 10:26

What, no parking sensors ?
No cruise control ?
No special cup holder for your 1959 Dom Pèrignon ?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg HillmanMinx.jpg (92.8 KB, 20 views)
Old 6th August 2017, 04:18

Location: Mundrabilla (haha), Melbourne really but I'd rather be in Narvik
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobClay View Post
What, no parking sensors ?
No cruise control ?
No special cup holder for your 1959 Dom Pèrignon ?

Hillmans got around. Solid, simple and reliable (even with Lucas electricals in my case - not others perhaps).
Here's mine in the Snowy Mountains of Oz plus one that I found in the Dresden Technical Museum the other day.
Agreed, mine no cup holder, no cruise control, not even automatic, even still had a generator that you had to oil...............not that they told you that until the bearing failed that is......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img107 (2).jpg (713.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP2819_(SH).jpg (479.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP2820_SH.jpg (461.1 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by YM-Mundrabilla; 6th August 2017 at 04:22.
Old 6th August 2017, 15:41

If you wanted an up market Hillman, you bought yourself a Singer Gazelle. Looked the same on the outside, but the interior was walnut trim and leather upholstery.

Same mechanics and electrics, though.
Old 6th August 2017, 16:44

The Hillman Imp, a contender in the mini field. First British car with an aluminium engine block and head, derived from a Coventry Climax pump engine, engine at the back and an opening rear window to drop your toothbrush through.
Old 6th August 2017, 18:58

The car in Bob's picture is a Mk VIII from around 1955.

The later, 1956, Series 1 models shared a body with the 'new' Singer Gazelle.
The Gazelle retained the Singer 1500cc ohc engine. This engine was a pre war design and the acceleration in a four door saloon was a 0 to 60 of about half a minute.
The engine had a fair amount of torque and special mountings for the Rootes body included an anti torque stay with a rubber doughnut which used to wear out and result in a clonking noise every time you touched any one of the peddles.
Also, the central part of the grill hung down when the bonnet was raised - resulting in scalp damage.

Quite a comfortable car though.

Last edited by Malcolm G; 7th August 2017 at 13:50. Reason: sohc not ohv!
Old 7th August 2017, 08:33

.... aahhh ... right. That would explain the lack of a cup holder for a 59 Dom Pèrignon.
Old 7th August 2017, 09:42

Not to forget the Humber Sceptre which was a 'compact' edition of the Humber cars and similarly equipped.

My father-in-law had several Hillman models (new) from '55 up to '68. He used to brag to me that "I don't do my own servicing - that's what the dealers are for". On a trip from Kent to Ferrybridge to visit us, his big-ends went. The garage that repaired it (somewhere up the A1) said the oil and filter had never been changed! He'd had it three years from new.

JJ.
Old 7th August 2017, 13:53

The 'sporty' version was the Sunbeam Rapier, particularly the drophead. - I cannot recall ever seeing one of those that was not riddled with metal moth, I have no idea how they stayed together without a roof.
Old 7th August 2017, 19:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm G View Post
The 'sporty' version was the Sunbeam Rapier, particularly the drophead. - I cannot recall ever seeing one of those that was not riddled with metal moth, I have no idea how they stayed together without a roof.

I had a Ford Zephyr Mk2 convertible and was amazed at the underside bracing and stiffening that went into these bodies, all done at Carbodies Ltd, Coventry. They did the same work on Rootes Group cars but it was easier as they were mostly coupes anyway.
My Zephyr was pretty rusty when I bought it but not where it mattered and not in any danger of folding in two with the doors open! A pair of new wings, modified rear arches, a bit of welding plus some fibreglass and a re-spray got it sorted. All the hydraulics for the hood were rotted out so manual top only.

JJ.
Old 20th August 2017, 13:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Jack View Post
Not to forget the Humber Sceptre which was a 'compact' edition of the Humber cars and similarly equipped.

My father-in-law had several Hillman models (new) from '55 up to '68. He used to brag to me that "I don't do my own servicing - that's what the dealers are for". On a trip from Kent to Ferrybridge to visit us, his big-ends went. The garage that repaired it (somewhere up the A1) said the oil and filter had never been changed! He'd had it three years from new.

JJ.

I had a Mark III Humber Sceptre Estate in the late 70's. 1725cc twin carb, overdrive, lovely vehicle to motor in. Went all round Scotland in it sleeping in the back on an airbed and hacking up mountains in the Assynt, on Skye and around Ben Nevis.

On the way back (having become considerably smelly) I parked it in a multi-storey car park in Glasgow and went for a nosh and somebody smashed the quarter light to get in and stole all my dirty washing, jeez, how bad is it in Glasgow for clobber ?

Alas they also stole my camera with all the pix of the trip I'd taken. The police attended but seemed pretty disinterested, understandably I suppose, no chance of solving this one. So I drove home non-stop, the holiday having soured.
Old 23rd August 2017, 16:24

I helped out a mate doing a roofing job on a classic car restoration workshop in Bude today. I wish I'd taken a camera. The cars they were working on were a Triumph Tr3, a Triumph Toledo, an Alvis sportscar, (looked a bit like the old MG Spitfire pilot's car) and a frog eyed sports car (didn't get the make.)

Probably be doing some more roofing work there next week so I'll remember to take my camera.

(If you're wondering why a 70 year old ex-sparky is wandering around on roofs, believe me ... you're not alone !!)

Old 24th August 2017, 11:08

Quote:
I helped out a mate doing a roofing job on a classic car restoration workshop in Bude today. I wish I'd taken a camera. The cars they were working on were a Triumph Tr3, a Triumph Toledo, an Alvis sportscar, (looked a bit like the old MG Spitfire pilot's car) and a frog eyed sports car (didn't get the make.)

Probably be doing some more roofing work there next week so I'll remember to take my camera.

(If you're wondering why a 70 year old ex-sparky is wandering around on roofs, believe me ... you're not alone !!)

Bob, the only sports car I know of to be called 'frogeyed' is the original Austin Healey Sprite.
Quite rare and sort after these days.

As for working on roofs - join the club, I've done nothing but loads of building work since retiring and enjoy every minute (at 73).

JJ.
Old 24th August 2017, 13:20

Can't deny I did enjoy it, especially on a hot August day. Made the first pint afterward taste really good ...
Old 1st September 2017, 17:49

Spent today working on the workshop roof again under a fine Autumn Sun. Forgot to take my camera so had to crack off a few pix with the phone. There's a 1934 Alvis sportscar, the Frogeyed car (don't know make.) Triumph TR3 and outside waiting for work a V8 Rover, another Triumph and a big American Estate car.

I'm sure you guys will figure out the makes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1934Alvis.jpg (139.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg FrogEyed.jpg (130.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Triumph.jpg (143.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Rover.jpg (211.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Triumph2.jpg (160.2 KB, 19 views)
Old 1st September 2017, 17:50

The American Estate car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg YankCar.jpg (177.3 KB, 21 views)
Old 1st September 2017, 18:39

The little white sports car minus rad grill is a 1966 MG Midget.
The Austin Healey sprite, which followed the famous frog eyed sprite (or sprog eyed fright), had the same body but lacked the chrome strip on the bonnet.

The Triumph estate is the 2500 with twin Strombergs - Not the 2.5 PI unfortunately.
Old 1st September 2017, 18:44

Here's a front view of the Triumph Estate, looks like it'll need a bit of work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TriumphEstate.jpg (150.1 KB, 15 views)
Old 2nd September 2017, 14:21

Quote:
The American Estate car.

That is a '55 Ford (it's on the front Bob, but to me is easily recognised). Probably a Country Squire full name. The next year are very similar so maybe a '56.

JJ.
Old 2nd September 2017, 16:06

Thanks Jack. I had another look at the original picture (I had to resize them downward before posting) and it looks like this Ford is right hand drive !!

Did they make them for the UK market ? .. or could it have been converted ?
Old 2nd September 2017, 20:04

Quote:
Thanks Jack. I had another look at the original picture (I had to resize them downward before posting) and it looks like this Ford is right hand drive !!

Did they make them for the UK market ? .. or could it have been converted ?

I doubt it was converted Bob, although there were/is companies that do that. Ford did produce cars for the UK, Japanese and other RHD markets in the '50/'60s and later. They never had much success over here for obvious reasons. More recently, their Explorer, with only the V6 is an example - underrated, just like the Chevy Blazer. I think it was intended to produce the latest Mustangs in RHD, because of their popularity, but I've been to many American car shows and never seen other than LHD ones. The American car scene is popular over here and many enthusiasts, if not all, prefer to have LHD anyway.

JJ.