Go Back   Shipping History > Swinging The Lamp (Off Topic) > Health Issues

Who want's to join me in embarassment?

Old 27th August 2017, 13:43

#1 for update. Delta Blubber bad. BP better (a day late on the field of mallet battle yesterday 'upp north'. Excellent outside feeding and watering and, incidental to the enjoyment, we won).

(Scratch the incidental bit. See the BP when I'm beaten!)
It is the duty of the wealthy man
To give employment to the artisan
Old 2nd September 2017, 13:43

#1 for update. Blubber better. BP OK. Convivial evening Thursday seems not to have had the usual consequences!
Old 11th September 2017, 18:19

#1 for update. Everything up a bit this week but not wildly so. Three extra meals is all it takes to go in reverse.
Old 16th September 2017, 16:07

#1 for update. Blubber up. Not badly so by itself but two weeks in a row. More grip required (or more precisely less grip on the eating irons and bottle. More on the walking stick).
Old 23rd September 2017, 12:42

#1 for update. At least the right direction for both lard and BP. We do make a hullabaloo about a dog bite these days as the tale (tail?) below reveals.

Not all carveries are safe. Said hello to woofer dog at hostelry last Sunday. Woofer dog didn’t appreciate it despite having been pleased with fellow luncher's advances. Large hole bitten in the back of my hand. OK until Monday night when started to hurt.

I had arranged for visitors at 1300, not knowing that it would be 1500 before I had finished with:

Only doctor available Friday. Appointment made. What to do interim? Obvious, get anti-tetanus jab. ‘phoned Boots. Yes they can.

Boots. But now Tetanus jab refused (not allowed to do them in case of dog bite) however pleased to give me one for ‘flu and ‘phone surgery for urgent appointment.

Up to surgery.

Have pint at nearest hostelry (houseguest driving me becomes less grumpy).
See nurse (now 1430) . Scruba-dub-dub. Dressing. Anti-tetanus jab. Anti-pneumonia jab. 5 days’ Prescription for small nuclear-torpedo shaped prophylactic antibiotics. Tutorial on how to watch for blood poisoning.

Change doctor’s appointment (another look at unhealing eczema)

Back to house (houseguest returning to grumpy)

One guest already on the lawn for an hour.

Played two six balls of croquet. Lost both to guest (who is international player so not surprising. Houseguest now fully grumpy again).

Fun, what?
Old 3rd October 2017, 20:56

I thought long and hard about contributing to this thread lest I bring misfortune upon myself:

At just shy of 70 and 5' 10"
weight 9st 7lbs or 60.4Kg
pulse 60
BP 125/73

Calculated my BMI per Rodney's formula in post 20 = 19.08

I eat once per day, am a firm believer in a high fat, high sugar, high alcohol diet; keep as far away from white meat as I can and don't eat anything that spent its life in water.

I climb communication towers at least once per week, don't go to bed before midnight and engage in horizontal exercise at frequent intervals.

Until reading this thread I thought I was normal...........
Old 3rd October 2017, 21:42

Question for Farmer John.

I am assuming you might have been linked to the farming world in the past. If that is the case do you have any knowledge about a certain product, intended for four legged cows, that I have bought from large farm suppliers and used with success on myself for different purposes.. It has apparently been around for 30 years and shipped worldwide. After speaking recently to company that makes it, I found out the same product is renamed and put in far smaller tubes (about 4 times the cost pro rata for humans to buy for themselves and supplied to the NHS for last twenty years or so.. it is apparently used by physios, for sports injuries and arthritic joints.

It contains 35% pure Japanese peppermint oil in non lanolin base, about the same consistency as baby lotion. It also clears ones tubes very efficiently, if you sniff the palms of your hands even 10 minutes or so later after applying it. Pretty powerful stuff. Brilliant for joints, aches and pains. Farm suppliers said a lot of bicyclists buy it.

This product for 4 legged cows comes in 600ml tube (as well as 2.5 litres) and called Uddermint.

The far more expensive, pro rata, human version comes in 150 ml tubes and is called Mint Ease.

If you buy Uddermint via A*****n on Internet, it costs twice the price that one is charged by farm suppliers, eg C*********e.

When I googled a farm chat forum there were plenty of very positive blogs regarding use on themselves and their families. Not much mention of use on four legged ones though.

Do you know anything about this product made by T*****n regarding long term use?

(Not to be confused with another of T*****s products, Uddercream. Again that is repackaged and renamed for humans too).

Last edited by Lucy Knight; 4th October 2017 at 01:15.
Old 4th October 2017, 17:29

Lucy, I have never heard of that preparation, it is many years since I worked with dairy cows but I still maintain some interest in farming matters. I can certainly believe that what is made for cows might be sold for four times the price for humans. I would also say that if it is safe on milking cattle it has probably been well examined by someone.

I can heartily recommend Mint Sauce on lamb, some new potatoes, fresh garden peas, onion sauce. This can be consumed a number of times per year with great pleasure.

Sorry I can't help any more than this.
Old 5th October 2017, 06:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer John View Post
I can heartily recommend Mint Sauce on lamb, some new potatoes, fresh garden peas, onion sauce. This can be consumed a number of times per year with great pleasure.

Sorry I can't help any more than this.
You have me salivating, Farmer John; Hear! Hear! Bravo! Bravissimo! and all that!!

The Admiral and I have BBQ lamb with all the trimmings at least once a month though. Interspersed with prime rib with horseradish, pork with apple sauce, salmon with lemon pepper coating, spare ribs, halibut steaks, ---- and bangers and mash.

Is that too much. (Of course we always have something to wash them down with.
Old 19th October 2017, 17:21

#1 for update (sorry for lacuna).

Have to put on falling down suit tomorrow - I hope Father won't speak to me from beyond the grave again this time.

18 St dead would be much better but those odd pounds are very difficult to shed.

Mint sauce I don't believe fattening. It depends how many times a year it is taken with the rest. Which is.
Old 19th October 2017, 17:56

I sympathize with the difficulty of losing the last few pounds. At least it helps in refusing second portions. My theory is that a 5-10 lb. buffer comes in handy in time of illness, or famine in the land.
Old 19th October 2017, 18:28

Ahh! Dave....Five stone would be better. Then you could fall down like this instead of this
Old 19th October 2017, 18:32

Ahhh! Dave....Perhaps you should change that to five stone, that way you could fall down the stairs and land like this instead of this.

Cheers and keep up the battle, Rodney
Old 19th October 2017, 22:25

It is for sure very difficult. I've stepped up my exercise and cut back on my diet ... still with no apparent result !!

I'm starting to doubt several laws of physics ....

I can't think what's causing it ......
Old 20th October 2017, 21:05

Just home from a visit to Doc., semi-annual check-up. Weight: 154lb=11stone, Height:5'101/2"- B.P. 116/67, pulse: 58. B.M.I. 21.8. Clean bill of health. Think I'll have a little butter on my whole wheat cracker(as an appetizer with my evening bourbon straight up).
Old 21st October 2017, 02:41

Your numbers are good but how about your Blood, A1C, Lipid Panel they are the ones that kill you.
Old 21st October 2017, 11:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rogers View Post
Your numbers are good but how about your Blood, A1C, Lipid Panel they are the ones that kill you.

... and do enjoy your weekend.

__________________________________________________ _________________________
Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 21st October 2017, 16:36

John,

Lipids no problem. HDL 83, the protective one. Others all within the correct range.

I do have a heart murmur which points to plaque build up on one heart valve and do have an echo cardiogram every year. Fortunately there has been no cardio change in the last five years when it was discovered.

Unfortunately my father, sister and middle son (last November) died in their sleep. All were overweight, smoked, poor diet and were sedentary. It was ruled as sudden death syndrome. Sadly I have a brother and two sons following in my late families footsteps. For some unknown reason it seems to be every other generation, based upon my family tree. One generation living into their nineties, the next going relatively young.

I was eighty last month. I do floor exercises and bike ride ten miles every day, and hope to make it into my nineties still active.
Old 22nd October 2017, 07:29

Rodney - you are so fortunate - I just had my 79th birthday and my numbers are all good. The down side is that I have degenerative disc disease and can't walk more than an eigth of a mile without getting sciatica and coming to a grinding halt with the pain in my hip and down my leg (take your pick as to which one - it varies!) Mind you with either a walker, or a grocery cart to lean on I can manage further.
Old 22nd October 2017, 14:55

The joints are going the same way at 66 so it'll be the Hemlock before I make your ages I reckon. As well as grocery cart I still manage quite well with the motor mower. Just can't always make the round trip into town, not more than a mile or so.

Last generation all 80 except one uncle with throat cancer. This generation two gone at 63 (melanoma, bowel respectively) 1 left (plus two widows and an ex). None of us that well behaved and self overweight for years.
Old 22nd October 2017, 17:48

Well done Rod, a big pat on the back. I will be 86 years old in December, Im in fairly good health except I have two steel knee joints all compliments of being a paratrooper for many years, 15 pounds overweight which gives me cushion if I get sick and not look like a bag of bones, plus my better half needs something to hold on to.
Old 22nd October 2017, 18:50

Tom and thanks to John,

I too have a similar problem, I wore out the cartilage between L3-L4 starting in my thirties. my hobby was running a once a month a timed mile against the clock. This meant running half a track and speed walking the other half for five miles and throwing wind sprints into the mix daily. Some clown had rode a bike on the track, left a rut, which dried and I caught my spikes in it and went ass-over-t#t, severely pulling hamstring and groin muscle, thus ending my dreams of Senior Olympic glory. Next came jogging five miles a day (more knee and back pounding). I was practicing for an upcoming mogal run at a skiing meet, when a skier came out of nowhere and once again ass over. This time three ligaments in my left knee separated. Surgery and nine months physio (lots of pain). Three months conditioning, two months skiing, doing fine. I took a bad fall, didn't come out of my right boot binding and slow learner that I am blew three ligaments in the right knee. Nine more months of crutches-full leg brace, walking stick and thus endith my skiing days. I wont bore you more about tennis elbow, boating accident seven broken ribs and a punctured lung, etc. and the slide to severe back pain. Would I do it all again? Deep breath...Yes, with qualifications. I wouldn't have blown the second knee. I knew everything that was coming, no surprises, that was sheer hell. But for me, being sedentary is not an option, I still fly-fish but half days, can't stand still in the stream for eight hours.

As my back got worse I found some comfort from including back exercise into my floor exercise routine and changed sleeping positions from my side to my back and placing a couple of pillows under my knees. Next I added a couple to raise my head, then added one on my left side to prevent me rolling over. I ended up with seven pillows, sleeping half sitting and legs bent. It eased my pain level quite a bit. The down side I started to snore...my wife now wears earplugs.

My wife did some "shopping exploring" and came up with a good firm mattress that is part of a system that (controlled mechanically and independently) raises the legs and head just like hospital beds. We bought two long twin mattresses that fit our king bed frame and backboard. She can set her side independent of me and I sleep on my back, legs bent half siting-up. It works for me, pain level decreased. Between the mattress and bike riding and floor exercises It's tolerable during the day. Evenings are a bummer though, especially standing-up from a seated position. The bed is a bit expensive, but worth it, anyway I'm not paying for it my kids are, less for them.

Well done John and thank you for your service.

Last edited by Rodney; 22nd October 2017 at 18:56.
Old 23rd October 2017, 07:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
As my back got worse I found some comfort from including back exercise into my floor exercise routine and changed sleeping positions from my side to my back and placing a couple of pillows under my knees. Next I added a couple to raise my head, then added one on my left side to prevent me rolling over. I ended up with seven pillows, sleeping half sitting and legs bent. It eased my pain level quite a bit. The down side I started to snore...my wife
My wife doesn't wear ear plugs, like yours, but if I do get on my back and start to snore, she has a wicked right hook, reminiscent of Bruce Woodcock which encourages me to turn back on my side. I can't complain because she has bone on bone arthritis in her right hip and is in far worse pain than I. Waiting for a hip replacement.

I can commiserate with your knee problems -- I "blew" my right knee while sailing of all things some years ago - did a number on both cartilege and ligaments.Managed to evade the operation but have to keep all in order with regular leg raising excercies.
Old 23rd October 2017, 15:12

Googled BMI and there was a site that allowed you to enter your weight (in pounds) and height (in feet and inches). did that and was informed I was obese! Has an alternative for metric
That and all the other things wrong with me healthwise I am amazed I managed to reach my 82nd year!!!
Old 24th October 2017, 06:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary75 View Post
I sympathize with the difficulty of losing the last few pounds. At least it helps in refusing second portions. My theory is that a 5-10 lb. buffer comes in handy in time of illness, or famine in the land.
To heck with the BMI stuff -- I just look in the mirror and know that I am fat. But I do know, from the gyst of these posts that being a little more rotund bodes well as a reserve in case of some serious ailment.