Go Back   Shipping History > Shipping Discussion > Shipping Lines > Glen Line

Welcome to the Glen Line Shipping forum.

Old 25th April 2017, 14:19

Welcome to the Glen Line Shipping forum.

London based, with Chinese crew when I sailed on the Glenogle in about 1967, she was a lovely ship, Just a bit faster than the Menestheus, my first ship, bulbous bow, McGregor hatches. She was my last trip, I think I stepped off just before the troubles started.
Old 18th May 2017, 11:37

All Glen liners were special.

Sailed on Glenartney, Glenorchy and Radnorshire as a midshipman in the early sixties.
The Chinese crew always demonstrated a pride in their job and ship. So keen were they to keep their jobs that some, in order to get a bit of shore leave in Hong Kong, would organise their own relief , whilst the ship went on to, say, Shanghai or Japan before returning to HK.
A common sight in London would be crew members coming on board with Singer sewing machines and Hercules bikes which were worth their weight in gold in the far east at the time.
To my great regret, I left the company to join NZS, and never saw the likes again.
Old 19th May 2017, 19:27

I know you are right about the Chinese crew. I have just found a letter from my mum, dated August 1967 and sent to me on the Glenogle, Voyage 17, in Kobe.

"We have been pleased to hear from you, but sorry to hear you have lost all your Chinese crew and engineers"

What was all that about? I seem to remember some unrest, but my recollections don't go any further than that.

Anyone know?