Go Back   Shipping History > Shipping Discussion > Mess Deck

virtual crazy gang, part II

Old 10th May 2017, 11:02

Location: Mundrabilla (haha), Melbourne really but I'd rather be in Narvik
Remaining on the starboard section of the GD, I was able to photograph those of the crew departing for the South Pole.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP3060_SN_.jpg (221.6 KB, 9 views)
Old 10th May 2017, 11:29

sarf powl!!! thats a number 24. mystery tour bus.
Old 10th May 2017, 12:09

Location: Mundrabilla (haha), Melbourne really but I'd rather be in Narvik
Hope that I didn't let the secret destination out of the bag. Glad that I'm not on board anyway. I prefer something a little less enclosed where I can jump ship more easily should the need arise.
Is that Red-17 at the helm by the way?
If it is let me hasten to add that that would in no way affect my views on escaping the vessel. Just not keen on submarines or sealed aircraft type structures in water. Nothing to do with ladies on footplates or fiddling with rolling stock.

Last edited by YM-Mundrabilla; 10th May 2017 at 12:12.
Old 10th May 2017, 20:50

Sir William, I regret we seem to have ordered two Pulsons Fulminators by mistake, but I think Tmac should be able to convert them.
Old 10th May 2017, 23:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-17 View Post
I have no idea what you are talking about SSR. A little bit more info would be helpful for those of us that are not initiated. I would have thought that a Sea Harrier would be perfect for the GD, no need to extend the deck....
Dear lady, an MV-22 Osprey is a tilt-rotor aircraft... much better to get in and out of trouble (and haul the butts of GD trouble makers out of.. can only carry one person on the Harrier, me, ye ol' flyboy) ... As for being the .50 gunner on the ramp.. an MV-22 has a ramp that people can run aboard, fleeing from whatever danger they get themselves into and that I have to bail them out ... and when they're not doing that.. I have someone sitting behind Ma Deuce.. shooting at anyone and anything (Just ask Tmac.. as I've ventilated the funnel many times)...
Old 10th May 2017, 23:23

Quote:
I like your style SSR. SSR? A type of drug, Symantec Security Response, Surface Search Radar, the list goes on, and on.........So, which are you?

Is this talking nicely enough to SSR billyboy?
SSR stands for radar picket submarine... a quaint experiment the USN tried in the late 1940s when airborne early warning aircraft weren't around... the USN thought it a pretty neat idea to put radar onto submarines (antenna on deck and control units in one of the compartments on the sub). The one wee thing they forgot about was that salt-water and vacuum tube technology didn't mix too well.

And I take my moniker from the sole surviving example of a former radar picket submarine (the program was discontinued in the late 1950s when the first carrier-borne AEW aircraft came into service) is USS REQUIN (SS-481/SSR-481), now on display in the most livable city in the Colonies, Pittsburgh (my home turf)...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1952A.jpg (222.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 11th May 2017, 00:10

Well, I am up for a cruise of the Fjords in our new twin screw launch.
Steward! drinks and snacks to the new launch please.
Anyone coming?.... Oh I nearly forgot, best take fishing and scuba gear along just in case
Old 11th May 2017, 07:11

Quote:
??? Wallahs? Varley you are usually so technical but this does not strike me as being a technical term!
Wallah is an Indian term for servant, or worker. We recently had three wallahs aboard, the dobhi wallah (does the ship's laundry), the Chai wallah (brings the tea around, and the Punka wallah (waves the palm leaves to ventilate cabins, etc.

On the subject of punkas, you have several in your cabin -- called punka louvres -- the round eyeball thingies that supply vented air conditioning to your quarters. (Tmac takes pride in supplying the appropriate quantity, temperature and quality of the air through these devices which can be manually rotated to change the flow of air to the required spots.)
Old 11th May 2017, 07:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssr481 View Post
Dear lady, an MV-22 Osprey is a tilt-rotor aircraft... much better to get in and out of trouble (and haul the butts of GD trouble makers out of.. can only carry one person on the Harrier, me, ye ol' flyboy) ... As for being the .50 gunner on the ramp.. an MV-22 has a ramp that people can run aboard, fleeing from whatever danger they get themselves into and that I have to bail them out ... and when they're not doing that.. I have someone sitting behind Ma Deuce.. shooting at anyone and anything (Just ask Tmac.. as I've ventilated the funnel many times)...
TANNOY: SSR - What is the range of you MV-22?
Would you please contact the bridge and let me know - and if you can carry an inflatable fuel bladder to extend that range? It probably won't be sufficient, but if so we could fly out of Invercargill and be back in next to no time. We can work on the fine details, but it is also probable that we can refuel in McMurdo by arrangement. Thanx, Tom.

On second thought, report to the bridge, I think I've got some of your favorite cold ones stashed in the chartroom fridge.
Old 11th May 2017, 07:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by YM-Mundrabilla View Post
Remaining on the starboard section of the GD, I was able to photograph those of the crew departing for the South Pole.
Nah! Just us returning from the bar in style!
Old 11th May 2017, 07:48

beep beep beep!!!

Hey up....someones opened the secure fridge on the Bridge........

Ah, its you Tom. yes I dont mind if i do.....Cheers!
Old 11th May 2017, 09:06

Quote:
This is what is required if you can find one, far more comfortable.
Remember this built by Fairey, every town and City was going to have a designated Heli Port in the late 1950/60 era where you could catch one of these to the next town like a Corporation Bus. Ships Crew could be dropped off in their home town instead of having to catch the train.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (142.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 11th May 2017, 11:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Alexander View Post
Wallah is an Indian term for servant, or worker. We recently had three wallahs aboard, the dobhi wallah (does the ship's laundry), the Chai wallah (brings the tea around, and the Punka wallah (waves the palm leaves to ventilate cabins, etc.

On the subject of punkas, you have several in your cabin -- called punka louvres -- the round eyeball thingies that supply vented air conditioning to your quarters. (Tmac takes pride in supplying the appropriate quantity, temperature and quality of the air through these devices which can be manually rotated to change the flow of air to the required spots.)
Oh! That Wallah. Thank you for the info re air conditioning to my quarters. I'm sure that if I did have any issues Tmac would be able to sort me out.

Vicki D
Old 11th May 2017, 11:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Alexander View Post
Nah! Just us returning from the bar in style!
Thank heavens for that, I thought the others had left without me.

signed off: Antarctic Princess.

Question, Isn't it as cold in the fjords as it is in the Antarctic?

Vicki D
Old 11th May 2017, 11:52

Quote:
SSR stands for radar picket submarine... a quaint experiment the USN tried in the late 1940s when airborne early warning aircraft weren't around... the USN thought it a pretty neat idea to put radar onto submarines (antenna on deck and control units in one of the compartments on the sub). The one wee thing they forgot about was that salt-water and vacuum tube technology didn't mix too well. Oh Dear, so who did they throw overboard for that stuff-up?

And I take my moniker from the sole surviving example of a former radar picket submarine (the program was discontinued in the late 1950s when the first carrier-borne AEW aircraft came into service) is USS REQUIN (SS-481/SSR-481), now on display in the most livable city in the Colonies, Pittsburgh (my home turf)...
Shouldn't that then be RPS??

Vicki D
Old 11th May 2017, 12:47

ef we are anchored in a fjord with booze and snacks. Romantic music music I doubt if we would feel the cold......LOL
Old 11th May 2017, 15:54

I have always thought that the Antarctic is rather like work, I could watch it for hours, but I wouldn't like it in my home. We are just getting some warmer weather here in GB, don't make us wander off into the oncoming Winter. I think I need to stay to look after the veggies in the garden if Red-17 is expedishing.
Old 11th May 2017, 18:47

I haven't had the chance to re-paint it in gold yet.
But here it is...

(For better climes we can arrange for a buffet table to be placed on the upper deck.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GD Launch.jpg (158.6 KB, 10 views)
Old 12th May 2017, 01:14

chippies have reshaped it already. looks more like a Royal Barge now with a flying bridge. Tmacs tweaked the twin catts and she purrs lovely. can make 20 knotts as well. I'll give you a shout when the gold paint arrives. plastic steward/signwriter is standing by to name it as "Commodore Briggs" in memory of late shipmate. It will look grand alongside the "Dom's dream".
Old 12th May 2017, 02:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer John View Post
I have always thought that the Antarctic is rather like work, I could watch it for hours, but I wouldn't like it in my home. We are just getting some warmer weather here in GB, don't make us wander off into the oncoming Winter. I think I need to stay to look after the veggies in the garden if Red-17 is expedishing.
Is this really a word Farmer John

Vicki D
Old 12th May 2017, 02:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy View Post
ef we are anchored in a fjord with booze and snacks. Romantic music music I doubt if we would feel the cold......LOL
I must admit billyboy that does sound good. And a little nap every now and then, I am sooo tired at present I could use a nap right now and it is only just after 11am?

Vicki D
Old 12th May 2017, 02:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy View Post
chippies have reshaped it already. looks more like a Royal Barge now with a flying bridge. Tmacs tweaked the twin catts and she purrs lovely. can make 20 knotts as well. I'll give you a shout when the gold paint arrives. plastic steward/signwriter is standing by to name it as "Commodore Briggs" in memory of late shipmate. It will look grand alongside the "Dom's dream".
I would like to ask questions about these names billyboy but am just too tired to do so!

Vicki D
Old 12th May 2017, 02:18

Tom Alexander

Skipper, just reminding you I will be on shore leave and unavailable until Wednesday. Please don't go anywhere without me, but if you do behave your selves.

Vicki D
Old 12th May 2017, 08:35

Quote:
Skipper, just reminding you I will be on shore leave and unavailable until Wednesday. Please don't go anywhere without me, but if you do behave your selves.
Is that this Wednesday, or next Wednesday?? Thank goodness someone knows how to spell Wednesday. The way people talk nowadays, nobodys knows nothing about nothing. (Which means they must know something about something?)

Someone has left a huge pot of curry bubbling away on the galley stove -- sign says "help yourself". In a rush of self indulgence, I did, and I must admit it was excellent.

Better stay clear of me tomorrow though!
Old 12th May 2017, 08:45

Quote:
I would like to ask questions about these names billyboy but am just too tired to do so!
Commodore Briggs -- well known for intestinal infortitude (his favourite postings had a lot to do with phaarrrrts! ---- and Dom was the originator of White Gloss- a special distillation which is only provided for consumption on special occasions.

Both were very well respected and frequent participents in the adventures of the GD.
sadly, they have now departed this mortal coil, but are still affectionately remembered.