Shipping History

Shipping History (https://www.shippinghistory.com/index.php)
-   Mess Deck (https://www.shippinghistory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   virtual crazy gang, part II (https://www.shippinghistory.com/showthread.php?t=56)

Graham the pipe Smith 2nd May 2017 08:06

Needless to say I have not the remotest idea what billyboy, Farmer John, Thomas Alexander and their, quite obviously VERY long time, ship/SN mates are discussing but I can make a semi educated guess.

I hope I'm not leaving myself open to a repetition of 'past events' but I'll come clean and say I was quadruple DRd by http://www.shippinghistory.com/partya few years ago for politely posting a thread saying I would leave the site to those more interested in having slanging matches with each other than contributing constructive comment to the respective threads. Instantaneously I was 'man overboard' kaput. No warning, slapped wrist, just the complete opposite of "Hello Sailor". I am more than happy that an old pal, Captain J W Woodend suggested I joined this new forum and I am more than happy that I have been made to feel so welcome. SHe has the makings of a happy, well designed and well run SHip destined for a long and successful 'screen life'.

Red-17 2nd May 2017 12:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Alexander (Post 2040)
Glad to see everyone here in the pub -- live music due to start any minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGyPuey-1Jw

Too bad whoever wrote the lyrics doesn't know the difference between a barrel and a scupper!

(For those who don't know -- this is actually a Canadian group)

Are they Capt. Tom? I thought that they were all Irish but half of them lived in Canada, trouble is I cannot find out which half, top or bottom? :p I am now going to go to bed and even when I awake in the morning that song will still be going 'round and 'round in my head. Darn it!

Red-17 2nd May 2017 12:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham the pipe Smith (Post 2044)
Needless to say I have not the remotest idea what billyboy, Farmer John, Thomas Alexander and their, quite obviously VERY long time, ship/SN mates are discussing but I can make a semi educated guess.

I hope I'm not leaving myself open to a repetition of 'past events' but I'll come clean and say I was quadruple DRd by http://www.shippinghistory.com/partya few years ago for politely posting a thread saying I would leave the site to those more interested in having slanging matches with each other than contributing constructive comment to the respective threads. Instantaneously I was 'man overboard' kaput. No warning, slapped wrist, just the complete opposite of "Hello Sailor". I am more than happy that an old pal, Captain J W Woodend suggested I joined this new forum and I am more than happy that I have been made to feel so welcome. SHe has the makings of a happy, well designed and well run SHip destined for a long and successful 'screen life'.

Has no one welcomed you aboard? Shame on them. I'm sure they will though once they get back to ship. Behaving like teenagers rather than adults, but then who can blame them. They are a good lot, really they are :rolleyes:. Welcome Graham the pipe Smith.

billyboy 2nd May 2017 12:54

set them up barmaid. drinks all round please.

ssr481 2nd May 2017 20:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyboy (Post 2072)
set them up barmaid. drinks all round please.

Keep 'em coming barmaid... I'll letcha know when to stop... hic

ssr481 2nd May 2017 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red-17 (Post 1968)
I won't say no to the use of someone else's titanium card. ....

Red-17... just in case you don't know.. Sir Wilhelm's titanium card is the sole source of funds for this merry band.. whenever he gets notices of significant expenditures.. I just hack into the card company's computer, funnel in the extra funds from the double-secret probation account that no one knows about except me... no worries... 'sides, someone's gotta pay for all the repairs for my whirlybirds...

billyboy 2nd May 2017 20:38

Red-17. we have 3 helicopters (helo's, whirly birds, Paraffin budgies,choppers, egg beaters ect;) aboard. A small one, a medium one and a large one.
Talk nicely to to flying officer SSR when he's around and maybe he will take you to the Hanger deck and show you his large chopper.

Hic!...need another drink.

Farmer John 2nd May 2017 20:51

Well I'll chance another pint of Bass Charrington's draft Dark Mild, that'l be my 23 pint of the night, the only beer I know that makes you more sober the more you drink. In fact, I'm not even sure they still brew it.

Got to keep an eye open, someone told me what they do to the sheep here. I'd feel kind of responsible if anything happened.

Dartskipper 2nd May 2017 21:27

I might need some funds ssr, I've just been offered a good deal on two pinball machines and the pool table from this bar's games room. Seems they don't need them anymore since they introduced kamikaze karaoke evenings. (Apparently, if the audience don't like your song, you have to commit hare kare.) I thought the machines and pool table would be OK in the Crews bar on the GD if Tmac's stabilisers do their stuff. If not, the pool table referee will have to keep his eye on the players balls. Hic.... more beer here.....

billyboy 2nd May 2017 23:02

pool is a hell of a game in a force 8 Dartskipper. we actually have a table suspended on 4 chains somewhere aboard with footboard around it too.

PatriciaAnnT 2nd May 2017 23:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssr481 (Post 2106)
.. whenever he gets notices of significant expenditures.. I just hack into the card company's computer, funnel in the extra funds from the double-secret probation account that no one knows about except me... no worries... 'sides, someone's gotta pay for all the repairs for my whirlybirds...

ssr481, Standby for significant expenditures. The card is smokin'.

billyboy 3rd May 2017 04:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatriciaAnnT (Post 2131)
ssr481, Standby for significant expenditures. The card is smokin'.

Good girl Pats....Go for it!...its only Money and SSR takes care of that

Red-17 3rd May 2017 07:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssr481 (Post 2106)
Red-17... just in case you don't know.. Sir Wilhelm's titanium card is the sole source of funds for this merry band.. whenever he gets notices of significant expenditures.. I just hack into the card company's computer, funnel in the extra funds from the double-secret probation account that no one knows about except me... no worries... 'sides, someone's gotta pay for all the repairs for my whirlybirds...

I like your style SSR. SSR? A type of drug, Symantec Security Response, Surface Search Radar, the list goes on, and on.........So, which are you?

Is this talking nicely enough to SSR billyboy? ;)

Red-17 3rd May 2017 07:25

Danny Doolans

I've just been told that Danny Doolans won't be able to open again for another week. It will take that long to restock and replace tables, chairs, windows, bar.....and so on. I've also heard that the GD is barred from Auckland harbour for at least three years! WHAT THE HELL DID YOU LOT GET UP TO? :confused::confused:

billyboy 3rd May 2017 08:02

we had a good run ashore Red-17...we had a ball. think we will have to slip port in silent mode about 2am. they think we are here for a few days.

billyboy 3rd May 2017 08:05

Yes Red-17, sometines SSR takes the chopper with the mini guns up for practice. he might take you up and let you have a go with the mini guns. no shooting at the funnel though. Tmac gets awful about that especially if he in his funnel suite at the time.

Tom Alexander 3rd May 2017 08:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red-17 (Post 2070)
Are they Capt. Tom? I thought that they were all Irish but half of them lived in Canada, trouble is I cannot find out which half, top or bottom? :p I am now going to go to bed and even when I awake in the morning that song will still be going 'round and 'round in my head. Darn it!

I think it's called an ear worm. ------ I get them all the time!

(The top half, Will Millar lives, I believe on Salt Spring Island just a short dqays sail South of where I live.)

Tom Alexander 3rd May 2017 08:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartskipper (Post 2041)
Galvanised buckets are ready at the gangway, Tom. :rolleyes:

What happened to the old wooden pallet type screen hung over the discharge on a bridle?????

Tom Alexander 3rd May 2017 08:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham the pipe Smith (Post 2044)

Seems from your profile your maritime history somewhat reflects mine, other than i didn't rise to the dizzy heights of Master. (Those little ladies will do it to a man every time.) Me -- I've only been hitched for 58 years this coming June. Anyway, if you can loosen your expectations, I'm sure we can fgind you a position aboard the Golden Dreamer should you wish. With the approval of the owner, Sir William, we do have the position of expedition agent open. Your duties would consist of arranging any and all possible profitable ventures anywhere in the world. (Preferably with warm temperatures and cold beer.) With our previous expertise and connections with mafiosa, foreign espionage agencies, billionaires, etc., we can assist you with the admin. The position carries the perquisites of an air conditioned balcony suite, free issue from the duty free, unlimited shoreleave as long as it does not interfere with your duties, and the security code to the Four Bells stash in the chartroom. With your maritime experience you would be expected to stand the occasional watch should the regular staff experience the DT's or other such debilitating cisrcumstances.:cool::cool:

Tom Alexander 3rd May 2017 08:48

SSR -- Sorry to hear your Sir Sidney Of Crosby has taken another serious hit. Here's hoping for a full recovery. Maybe even get the team down #1 hold for a match --- maybe against the Roedean Girls School -- I suspect their attention would be somewhat diverted by the short gymslips, etc??

billyboy 4th May 2017 08:37

Hmmmm Toms turned right leaving the Harbour. He must be headed for Wellington (some right old boots there)or Christchurch at a guess. maybe even run down to Invercargil, seem to remember we had a great run ashore there, the locals were great (maybe because i was paying) the lovely little rooms above that bar were nice. and the bar itself decorated with those red lights looked good too.

Red-17 4th May 2017 11:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyboy (Post 2229)
Hmmmm Toms turned right leaving the Harbour. He must be headed for Wellington (some right old boots there)or Christchurch at a guess. maybe even run down to Invercargil, seem to remember we had a great run ashore there, the locals were great (maybe because i was paying) the lovely little rooms above that bar were nice. and the bar itself decorated with those red lights looked good too.

Red lights? Shame on you billyboy, you, and the others, are old enough to know better! Thank goodness I am heading to Tassie. I hate to think what would happen if I was going to Wellington, or Christchurch or Invercargill!

Yes billyboy, I may be quiet at present but I am still keeping an eye on you lot. The older they get the worse they get. :eek: Behaviour gentleman please.

billyboy 4th May 2017 11:59

have a good look around Tassie (peggy747, from SN lives there in St Helens)

billyboy 4th May 2017 12:03

SSR.....Should I buy it?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/342180...k-up-for-sale/

Red-17 4th May 2017 12:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyboy (Post 2253)

Buy what billyboy? Are you buying more trouble for us? (Says the voice of conscience!):confused::confused::confused::: Is it more trouble for the GD?
Tom, Farmer John, Tmac, Varley, HELP!!!!!:eek:

Red-17 4th May 2017 12:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red-17 (Post 2259)
Buy what billyboy? Are you buying more trouble for us? (Says the voice of conscience!):confused::confused:: Is it more trouble for the GD?
Tom, Farmer John, Tmac, Varley, HELP!!!!!:eek:

Patsy, where are you when I need your help? Forget Rodney, the GD is in danger!:eek:

Farmer John 4th May 2017 13:47

Sir William, if this is the Harrier, let's get ourselves sorted, I have a sealed bid in for this, just the thing for back firing some stuff down Tmac's Funnel for a laugh.

This belongs on the GD, I am sure they are laughably simple to fly, and use very little fuel. Prob'ly run on the old Gripetini mashings, there are always plenty of those, after all, the Gripetini itself is fuel for anything, but we can't waste it.

Red-17, you are too cautious, the GD is 10 times more safe than Kim Jung Un's missiles.

Dartskipper 4th May 2017 16:53

When I see one of those things, I always think about the words an old pilot said to me a long time ago.

"Just remember, taking off is optional, landing is compulsory."

We might have to shore up the upper deck before we add it to our toys. Somebody I worked with had served in the RAF when they took over the operation of them from the Navy. They said that they had a nasty habit of dropping out of the sky when trying to land. The crash recovery boys earned their keep, apparently.

(Just in case we can't install any reinforcements, I'm searching eBay for a large Trampoline.)

Farmer John 4th May 2017 20:36

No prob, Dartskip, we just open one of the hatches, when it goes below deck level, just shut the hatch. That will do it. Tmac has the capability to fix anything, it'll be like a child's balloon after he has tamed it. It'll run on almost anything, I'm sure, prob'ly sea water and a bit of pepper.

This is our machine, I can feel it in my bones. I'm practising by jumping up and down, that is the way to train.

Dartskipper 4th May 2017 20:39

That is definitely a plan. Just need someone with a frying pan in each hand to guide it down.

ssr481 4th May 2017 21:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyboy (Post 2253)

Nah.. remember Boss, jets are for kids ('sides, a guy in Va Beach, VA has options on this bird to go along with the Sea Harrier he already owns... and would cost too much to make airworthy.... ). I'll stick with Budgie v4.0 (an MV-22 Osprey that I traded some US Marines some stuff for)... anyone wanna be ramp gunner on the .50 cal or is Sis E still available.

billyboy 4th May 2017 22:06

Relax guys, the sale of the Harrier is off. Flying officer SSR has talked sense to me. it would not prove to be to our advantage.

Red-17. I think you have been aboard long enough to be let into one or two secrets about this wonder ship. Meet me up n the driving cab thingy on the 8 till 12 watch and I will show you some features of this amazing craft.

Farmer John 4th May 2017 22:36

A disappointment, but it makes sense to take the advice of experts. I shall keep my eye open in Exchange and Mart for some more fun stuff.

Anyway, I am busy working on a salvage job for Sir William, my time is taken.

Still, I feel a little wistful. Steward, a mug of cocoa if you please, with a schooner of Four Bells to chase it down. Will you join me, Tom?

billyboy 5th May 2017 01:04

On all the years I have been on this ship I have NEVER heard Tom refuse a 4 bells. A true seaman to the last is Tom.

Red-17 5th May 2017 04:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssr481 (Post 2328)
Nah.. remember Boss, jets are for kids ('sides, a guy in Va Beach, VA has options on this bird to go along with the Sea Harrier he already owns... and would cost too much to make airworthy.... ). I'll stick with Budgie v4.0 (an MV-22 Osprey that I traded some US Marines some stuff for)... anyone wanna be ramp gunner on the .50 cal or is Sis E still available.

I have no idea what you are talking about SSR. :confused: A little bit more info would be helpful for those of us that are not initiated. I would have thought that a Sea Harrier would be perfect for the GD, no need to extend the deck.

If no one has the job yet I would be happy to perform the duties of the one with the frying pans in each hand. Up, down, right, left, duck!!!!! :eek:

Red-17 5th May 2017 04:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyboy (Post 2251)
have a good look around Tassie (peggy747, from SN lives there in St Helens)

How come you know where everyone lives billyboy???? Have you got drones everywhere keeping an eye on us? I've seen a couple in my neighbourhood recently. (Say's to self, must look for how to make a slingshot).

Tom Alexander 5th May 2017 07:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farmer John (Post 2344)
A disappointment, but it makes sense to take the advice of experts. I shall keep my eye open in Exchange and Mart for some more fun stuff.

Anyway, I am busy working on a salvage job for Sir William, my time is taken.

Still, I feel a little wistful. Steward, a mug of cocoa if you please, with a schooner of Four Bells to chase it down. Will you join me, Tom?

I will be delighted to join you -- Cocoa --- Two teaspoons Frys cocoa very well mixed with one teaspoon of sugar and two teaspoons Nestles condensed milk (out of date lifeboat stores) Boiling water from the kettle poured from a height of 1 foot above the mug to produce foam. Take to wing of bridge and consume in less that a minute otherwise it wil be cold already yet. The Four Bells sounds like a plan as well. :)

Tom Alexander 5th May 2017 07:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyboy (Post 2229)

All things in order, Sir William -- Farmer John, Tmac, Dartskipper, and myself are still enjoying the bar. I will text the ECDIS on the GD and instruct the vessel to head for Wellington. That way we can catch the bus down to catch up. Invergcargill a bit later, although Red-17 seems bent on raising our moral (or is that immoral?) standards

Red-17 5th May 2017 08:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyboy (Post 2340)
Relax guys, the sale of the Harrier is off. Flying officer SSR has talked sense to me. it would not prove to be to our advantage.

Red-17. I think you have been aboard long enough to be let into one or two secrets about this wonder ship. Meet me up n the driving cab thingy on the 8 till 12 watch and I will show you some features of this amazing craft.

At last, I wondered when I might be shown some of the intricacies of the GD.

Red-17 5th May 2017 08:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farmer John (Post 2264)
Red-17, you are too cautious, the GD is 10 times more safe than Kim Jung Un's missiles.

Until I have all the facts about what is going on I shall remain cautious. It is in my nature, that applies to everything! :cool:

Please don't mention KJU's name again, it brings me out in hives. Anybody got any calamine lotion handy? :o