Shipping History

Shipping History (https://www.shippinghistory.com/index.php)
-   The Pig & Whistle (https://www.shippinghistory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Musings and Thoughts (https://www.shippinghistory.com/showthread.php?t=2944)

Jolly Jack 22nd April 2022 08:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Makko (Post 43913)
And talking of car lights, thank the Lord for LED's! No more changing the pesky bulbs!

I agree LEDs are much better but my Chrysler Grand Voyager 2 seater(!), is now 18 years old and has never needed a replacement bulb. I did change the fog lamps to LEDs, to use as daytime running lamps, which I think are essential these days.
Did the same with the Jag XJ as well.

The problem with American cars in the UK - I've had a few, is they just flash the brake lights for indicators. I used to put yellow bulbs in the reversing lights and rewire for our MOT.

Worse than the Audi and BMW drivers are the Seat - they think they've got an Audi!

JJ.

BobClay 22nd April 2022 09:46

My Satnav has a Dalek inside it. "At the next roundabout take the third exit ... OR YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED." :eek:

Malcolm G 2nd May 2022 22:00

1 Attachment(s)
Careful what you post…..

John Rogers 2nd May 2022 22:43

Good one Mal, go to the top of the class.

Engine Serang 3rd May 2022 07:21

I thought it was the House of Commons.

Lao Pan 5th May 2022 12:46

Her is a good tip for saving fuel on a long journey on the Motorway, in these times of extortion err high energy prices.

1) Potter along at around 50mph in the inside lane.
2) When a National Express Coach thunders past at 70mph, increase speed and pull out behind it.
3) Once you are about 2 feet off its backdoor slow down and keep pace.

Now, not only will you be doing over a hundred miles to the gallon, you will also be able to use their free WiFi :D

Malcolm G 17th May 2022 13:30

1 Attachment(s)
Choose your own flow chart…

BobClay 18th May 2022 16:13

1 Attachment(s)
Some people are just born p1ss takers ... :wink:

Dartskipper 18th May 2022 23:28

1 Attachment(s)
Following Bob's remark, this is further evidence.

BobClay 24th May 2022 12:41

1 Attachment(s)
I'm definitely with Morgan on this one ..... :wave:

Varley 24th May 2022 14:43

I don't know. I am more unimpressed when the morning ablutions elicit too little.

Tim Gibbs 1st June 2022 08:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lao Pan (Post 44279)
Her is a good tip for saving fuel on a long journey on the Motorway, in these times of extortion err high energy prices.

1) Potter along at around 50mph in the inside lane.
2) When a National Express Coach thunders past at 70mph, increase speed and pull out behind it.
3) Once you are about 2 feet off its backdoor slow down and keep pace.

Now, not only will you be doing over a hundred miles to the gallon, you will also be able to use their free WiFi :D

And of course, the closed to the coach you are, the lower will be the differential speed when when he crashes so much safer:brain:

Varley 1st June 2022 10:57

That may be rather like Einstein's thought experiment when considered only from the confines of the railway carriage. The differential as regards the stationary geography (relatively speaking, of course) will be all the greater. Be careful only to meld accidentally with the coach. The subsequent exchanges in energy (one assumes the accidentees will eventually reach geographical speed parity) would be complex but only the optimistic would forecast them as lower risk.

Makko 1st June 2022 13:38

I prove the theory of relativity every day!

There is a traffic light that I have to go through to turn onto my road. If it is red, I roll up and it soon turns green. If it is green, I roll up even slower and it doesn't change - If I speed up to pass when it is green, it immediately turns red! I suppose it is something to do with the time/space fabric warping.

Rgds.
Dave

lakercapt 3rd June 2022 18:54

GPS

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobClay (Post 43923)
My Satnav has a Dalek inside it. "At the next roundabout take the third exit ... OR YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED." :eek:

When I was over for a visit of a few years ago I rented a car and it had a satnav installed on it. Although I have one on my car (Garmin) it was a nightmare when approaching those dreaded roundabouts. What the hell was the third exit and how do I get there as nobody would let you in and round we went several times before escaping.
Driving on the opposite side was bad enough but those roundabouts just about defeated me. My visit my son drove and I sat and watched !!!!

Malcolm G 3rd June 2022 19:00

And this is without satnav....

https://youtu.be/iAgX6qlJEMc

Malcolm G 11th June 2022 22:31

1 Attachment(s)
Way to go…..

Malcolm G 16th June 2022 20:11

1 Attachment(s)
A New York police officer beats a black man while another officer just looks on….

John Rogers 16th June 2022 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malcolm G (Post 45198)
Way to go…..

I was always told to remove sharp objects from my pocket, bend over, and kiss my A.. goodbye.:bounce_angel:

Dartskipper 17th June 2022 11:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malcolm G (Post 45217)
A New York police officer beats a black man while another officer just looks on….

"Police officer reprimanded for misuse of bread trays from nearby store," says city hygiene inspector. Meanwhile, the bakery delivery man accuses store owner of stealing them. Store owner claims defamation of character, phones his attorney. Cops arrive on the siren and lights in response to a bystander alerting them of the altercation. Chess- playing cop calls "Checkmate." Black man says he isn't Czech, and he isn't his mate either.

Only in New York!!

BobClay 17th June 2022 15:18

"There are eight million stories in this city. And this hasn't been one of them." :p

BobClay 19th June 2022 10:19

1 Attachment(s)
Me every morning ..... :eek:

Malcolm G 19th June 2022 21:15

1 Attachment(s)
Perhaps Mr Varley knows the answer….

Engine Serang 19th June 2022 22:21

I think the cats are just sitting on damage already made by Mr(*?) Varley.

Varley 20th June 2022 00:29

I hazard that dip offers windbreak therefore warmest spot. If you can prove that E-S send the bill (and I will have my people look at it).

Malcolm G 20th June 2022 08:13

You mean to tell me that it is not the cats that cause the damage. No, really?
Such a prosaic explanation is quite disappointing.
Logical, but disappointing, for this forum anyway.

al1934 20th June 2022 12:07

The cat has the last word

1 Attachment(s)
Cats always have the last word...

Engine Serang 20th June 2022 15:30

The Mad Man is telling everyone you are boring and on Prozac. This is a powerful drug, think Absinthe, and will turn your pee blue and tend towards brewers droop Keep him onside otherwise he will go on and on and on and wear us all down. What the f*ck did you take the cat fotos for? Pull yourself together, big man.

Malcolm G 20th June 2022 17:08

Do you also write cryptic crossword clues, ES?

Engine Serang 20th June 2022 21:31

My O-Levels, one in English Language and one in English Literature has emboldened me to play fast and loose with the odd apostrophe but cryptic crosswords are out of my league. Contact Mr Burgess or McLean ( 2 Down, 6 Letters).
Depp's ex-lover certainly isn't one.

Dartskipper 20th June 2022 22:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Engine Serang (Post 45249)
My O-Levels, one in English Language and one in English Literature has emboldened me to play fast and loose with the odd apostrophe but cryptic crosswords are out of my league. Contact Mr Burgess or McLean ( 2 Down, 6 Letters).
Depp's ex-lover certainly isn't one.

My dear departed gran used to love crosswords. She would solve a clue, and if it didn't fit the grid, she would just add some more squares, or fill in some if her answer was a few letters short. Worked every time.

Engine Serang 21st June 2022 08:27

A much more enjoyable and satisfying way to do a crossword than spending hours wracking your brain for some obscure and smart-ass solution. Good for Gran.

Jolly Jack 21st June 2022 09:14

I agree. You have to be very suspicious of a cryptic clue solver.....

JJ.

YM-Mundrabilla 21st June 2022 10:00

There's no substitute for a bit of old age experience and cunning.

al1934 21st June 2022 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartskipper (Post 45250)
My dear departed gran used to love crosswords. She would solve a clue, and if it didn't fit the grid, she would just add some more squares, or fill in some if her answer was a few letters short. Worked every time.

I always found I was living with a bunch of matelots who had learned that one from your dear departed gran...

170 Driver 21st June 2022 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jolly Jack (Post 45253)
I agree. You have to be very suspicious of a cryptic clue solver.....

JJ.

Q. Large fish (7)

A. Special

BobClay 21st June 2022 19:13

My Old Dear was a crossword fanatic. One day she was struggling with a quiz word version and she asked me what I thought of the clue: "What the Universe is made of."

I suggested 'Hydrogen.' (This is back in the day before 'dark matter' and 'dark energy' proved we don't know shit about what 90% of anything actually is.)

"No," she replied. "Doesn't fit." I thought nothing more of it until she completed the puzzle and told me the correct answer was: 'electricity.'

"What a load of bollocks," I commented, for which I received the IRISH DEATH GLARE (hill farm girl from Co. Limerick, came over just before WW2.)

I strategically advanced to the rear and went down the pub ... :eek:

(Can't help but think that if that clue had been right ... none of us could afford to live in this Universe anymore .... :p )

Dartskipper 21st June 2022 23:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobClay (Post 45259)
My Old Dear was a crossword fanatic. One day she was struggling with a quiz word version and she asked me what I thought of the clue: "What the Universe is made of."

I suggested 'Hydrogen.' (This is back in the day before 'dark matter' and 'dark energy' proved we don't know shit about what 90% of anything actually is.)

"No," she replied. "Doesn't fit." I thought nothing more of it until she completed the puzzle and told me the correct answer was: 'electricity.'

"What a load of bollocks," I commented, for which I received the IRISH DEATH GLARE (hill farm girl from Co. Limerick, came over just before WW2.)

I strategically advanced to the rear and went down the pub ... :eek:

(Can't help but think that if that clue had been right ... none of us could afford to live in this Universe anymore .... :p )

The Daily Mirror cartoon "The Perishers" had short series about this very topic many years ago. The children were discussing what made the World work, and some had concluded that because it was very old, it must run on clockwork. Marlon, the kid in the leather jacket didn't agree. He said it ran on electricity because he had "Seen the men putting new cables in up the road."

Malcolm G 22nd June 2022 08:11

That reminds me;
Look out for the eyeballs in the sky!

BobClay 22nd June 2022 08:27

Every year the Perishers would go camping and one year Maisie killed a spider. She was warned by Wellington that the Queen of the Spiders would appear in the night seeking revenge.

That night Marlon (who was gormless exemplified) crawled out of his tent to look at the sky. He started to have his epiphany, seeing the majesty of the Universe. He was just about to grasp the meaning of it all when Maisie laid him out with a huge frying pan.

"I'm sorry Marlon," she said. "I thought you were the Queen of the Spiders come to get me !!"

Poor old Marlon .... almost there, but didn't make it. Absolutely class comic strip.