Shipping History

Shipping History (https://www.shippinghistory.com/index.php)
-   The Pig & Whistle (https://www.shippinghistory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Musings and Thoughts (https://www.shippinghistory.com/showthread.php?t=2944)

Malcolm G 28th October 2021 16:01

Junkers flugmotor 205C (yes I know it's only one...)

https://youtu.be/MuvJIoUTA8k

Engine Serang 29th October 2021 06:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Gibbs (Post 40430)
I was asked to look at an insurance claim involving 2000 tonnes of duff fuel and that was seriously interesting :

Sharpen your pencil Tim because Duff Fuel is a growth industry. Off-Spec fuel can indeed be seriously interesting for Supers and Chief Engineers.

Makko 29th October 2021 15:41

I'll second that, ES!

Going way back, we started to get reports of problems with Diesel plants throughout Latin America: Panama, Honduras, Dominican Republic, Colombia et al. The fuel pumps were wearing out very quickly and MAN B&W couldn't produce them fast enough. Just one plant, in Honduras, was the largest Diesel plant in the world when built, with 14x 16 cyl. engines, heat recovery and a steam turbine for an extra dozen MW. What was puzzling there were the deposits inside the pumps, on the injector nozzles an sticking piston rings.

With the first claim (Honduras), while I suspected microbial contamination, testing did not find this. The fuel preparation was good, quality certificates in order, so on and forth. All the plants received fuel from a major fuel broker based in Switzerland. Hmmm....Having joined the dots, the breakthrough came with one plant that collected and sent samples to Houston for independent testing. The testing facility kept witness samples of all the fuel that they tested. The plant was therefore able to get analyses of fuel samples prior to the problems starting and afterwards.

It resulted that the fuel was being "cut" with styrenes, industrial waste which costs money to dispose of safely. The fuel was being supplied from the USA, the worst culprit near New Orleans.

The problem was so serious that the plants were resorting to combing scrapheaps for any half-good pumps as MAN B&W couldn't produce them fast enough! Just in Honduras, the needed 224 fuel pumps, injectors and many pistons/rings/liners.

A very interesting case and challenging as an adjustment.

Rgds.
Dave

Tim Gibbs 1st November 2021 11:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Engine Serang (Post 40442)
Sharpen your pencil Tim because Duff Fuel is a growth industry. Off-Spec fuel can indeed be seriously interesting for Supers and Chief Engineers.

Interestingly,(depending on how much of a sad person you are!) the 2000 tonnes of fuel was duff but it hadn't damaged the engine as the owner claimed because it was possible to demonstrate that fuel hadn't actually been used at the time of the claim.
It is true that the engine was indeed knackered - primarily because it had run c25k hours without any maintenance, been using inappropriate cylinder oil and had probably used some pretty horrible fuels previously :bad_mad:
Be careful what you claim for!

Makko 1st November 2021 14:05

What was up with the fuel, Tim?

Tim Gibbs 6th November 2021 11:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Makko (Post 40470)
What was up with the fuel, Tim?

Can't remember the full details but there was certainly was a problem with the cetane number and I think also fines but once it was established that fuel couldn't be part of the engine related claim I wasn't involved

Engine Serang 6th November 2021 15:21

Don't think I've ever been supplied with off-spec Lubricating Oil but Fuel Oil is a different kettle of fish. One wonders if the office cleaner fills out the BDN.

Makko 6th November 2021 18:17

I have a feeling, ES, it is just a "stock form" with a few details changed!

BTW, in Ocean/BF, we had a small and efficient fuel test kit. It was just to check the bare minimum characteristics but worked. We also had one for LO after microbial contamination became known.

Then there was the Alaska HO, just a smidgeon over 1.0 relative density, the east arabian HO full of sand and the Texas HO full of waxes!!!

Best Rgds.
Dave

Tim Gibbs 7th November 2021 12:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Makko (Post 40525)
I have a feeling, ES, it is just a "stock form" with a few details changed!

BTW, in Ocean/BF, we had a small and efficient fuel test kit. It was just to check the bare minimum characteristics but worked. We also had one for LO after microbial contamination became known.

Then there was the Alaska HO, just a smidgeon over 1.0 relative density, the east arabian HO full of sand and the Texas HO full of waxes!!!

Best Rgds.
Dave

And Bass Strait waxy oil :cloud: It wrecked 3 Peilstick 2.2s (actually not that difficult) and resulted a 100 metre long wax candle in the bunker fuel pipe work :angry:

Makko 7th November 2021 21:51

Yes, Tim! Hard times but, boy, did we learn a lot! Not only cause, but repair/remedy and future recommendations!

I remember the Honduras claim. When I asked if they were testing for microbial contamination, even though the plant engineers were very well experienced and qualified, I was met with blank an puzzled faces!

Rgds.
Dave

BobClay 17th November 2021 13:28

1 Attachment(s)
As you get older this becomes more and more appropriate .... :supercool:

Makko 17th November 2021 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobClay (Post 40597)
As you get older this becomes more and more appropriate .... :supercool:

Oldest daughter recently got married..........! That, or change the lock and garage door code!
Rgds.
Dave

Malcolm G 28th November 2021 14:15

Omicron is an anagram of moronic.
If Greek letters are being used for covid variants, I wonder whether politicians will allow the use of Xi

John Rogers 28th November 2021 14:19

Talking head on TV said they would not.

Dartskipper 28th November 2021 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malcolm G (Post 40688)
Omicron is an anagram of moronic.
If Greek letters are being used for covid variants, I wonder whether politicians will allow the use of Xi

They could use Diotis, if they persist with anagrams.

BobClay 28th November 2021 20:12

...... or Watts.

Engine Serang 28th November 2021 21:57

Or twats.
9 10

BobClay 1st December 2021 09:51

1 Attachment(s)
Relativity explained: :chuckle:

BobClay 2nd December 2021 11:11

1 Attachment(s)
Technology advances ... but there are side effects: :smoking:

Tim Gibbs 2nd December 2021 16:12

[QUOTE=Makko;40532]Yes, Tim! Hard times but, boy, did we learn a lot! Not only cause, but repair/remedy and future recommendations!

I remember the Honduras claim. When I asked if they were testing for microbial contamination, even though the plant engineers were very well experienced and qualified, I was met with blank an puzzled faces!

Rgds.
Yes, I could have once said The bugs ate my crankshaft. Well, actually was the City of Colombo's crankshaft - her third in 13 years. The first changed because of a design problem, the second 'cos it broke and this one just survived with a few bearings reground. A great engine the Doxford 75LB6:bad_mad:

Ron Stringer 6th December 2021 16:17

My mate is looking at starting up his own business, recycling discarded chewing gum.

He said “I just need help getting it off the ground.”

BobClay 6th December 2021 16:33

Knock knock.
"Who's there ?"
"Doctor"
"Doctor who ?"

EXTERMINATE EXTERMINATE !!

Malcolm G 6th December 2021 16:46

Don't you point that sink plunger at me - it might be loaded.

Engine Serang 6th December 2021 17:11

Would that it were.

Julian N 8th December 2021 19:23

Xi was due to be used but WHO chickened out so as not to offend the despotic Chinese Leader.⅜