Shipping History

Shipping History (https://www.shippinghistory.com/index.php)
-   The Pig & Whistle (https://www.shippinghistory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Bucket List thread (https://www.shippinghistory.com/showthread.php?t=3026)

Farmer John 16th August 2018 21:30

Oh, I know, but last time I checked it was 55. Then I turned away, next time I looked, 70!

lakercapt 17th August 2018 00:56

To revisit he many places I visited when on the ships but the possibilites of this happening are getting less each year. The thought of going back to the land of my birth is very appealing but the logistics not acceptable. The airport security and line ups and then on a flight for over seven hours crammed into a space a child would fit is not for me. I would think it better instead of serving a meal they gave you a pill and woke you up just prior to arrival refeshed and relaxed.
Alas I think my days of travelling are over and the TV documentaries will be the closest I get.

Malcolm G 17th August 2018 08:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farmer John (Post 17443)
Oh, I know, but last time I checked it was 55. Then I turned away, next time I looked, 70!

Time is like gravity - The further you fall the faster it gets. :bounce_angel:

Engine Serang 17th August 2018 09:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Rogers (Post 17437)
70 is a young age, I’m hitting 87 in Dec.

You don't look a day over 60.

Varley 17th August 2018 10:42

I agree E-S. AT 87 he'd be certain to lose his grip on the hippo.

John Rogers 17th August 2018 12:23

I hear that a lot about my age,however I still have the old age pains.

BobClay 17th August 2018 17:44

Putting the 'Bucket List' thing in reverse so to speak, one of the things I would have liked to have seen that has happened during my life time is a Saturn V lifting off for the Moon.

I've seen it on TV and the like, but the real thing must have been something to behold … :shock:

Malcolm G 17th August 2018 19:05

Reverse bucket list?

All the things I should have done but didn't and all the things that I should not have done but did - Therein lies a bad bout of depression. :cloud:

Dartskipper 17th August 2018 20:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Rogers (Post 17437)
70 is a young age, I’m hitting 87 in Dec.

Keep going and don't even think about stopping John. I asked my Dad once how long he wanted to live. He replied that he would give up when there weren't any more people left for him to annoy. He missed his 92nd by two weeks. I put that down to him being born prematurely, anyway!:jester:

BobClay 17th August 2018 22:22

I don't do depression, :sweat: ... there'll be about sixty trillion years (Universe suffers heat death) of time for that after I'm gone. (Give or take a month.) :big_tongue:

Varley 18th August 2018 00:28

I should get any depression you want done now. To avoid possible disappointment.

Harry Nicholson 26th August 2018 12:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobClay (Post 17472)
Putting the 'Bucket List' thing in reverse so to speak, one of the things I would have liked to have seen that has happened during my life time is a Saturn V lifting off for the Moon.

I've seen it on TV and the like, but the real thing must have been something to behold … :shock:

In 1960, trudging back to Liverpool from Brownsville, Texas (now there's a place) on Brocks 'Marwarri' at night, saw a rocket test launch from Cape Canaveral. I think it was a Jupiter ICBM. Recall watching the first stage burn up. It landed somewhere in South Atlantic.

tugger 27th August 2018 01:36

Going back wont work in many instances, in the 50s we loaded iron ore on one of Harrison's of London in Conakry on the West African coast, tied up to trees and had to shift ship up and down a small pier, looked it up on Google Earth, now the biggest iron ore port in Africa; I wouldn't recognize the place. Same for many of the old places, can't even have a drink in Ma Gleeson's in Auckland or Duckies in Dunedin. And god knows what has happened in my old stamping ground the Bunch of C's in Sussex St in Sydney.
Tugger

Dave McGouldrick 27th August 2018 10:47

Was in Conakry in 1971 or 1972. They had the snow ploughs and BIG bulldozers gifted from the Soviets still on the quay. Guess the snow ploughs were a mistake. Stokely Carmichael and Miriam Makeba were there 'living in exile'.

Also I remember there was a strange procedure when getting the pilot at the anchorage. I'm sure some EDs or Palm Line guys will know - or it could be my aged brain playing tricks.
Strange to think of Conakry being a major port.

tugger 31st August 2018 02:27

Hi Dave that is what I thought when I saw it on Google Earth. Don't know if they are still there but a bloke took us to see two old huts with shackles still on the wall, he told us that was where the slaves were kept before heading for the Indies.
Tugger