Shipping History

Shipping History (https://www.shippinghistory.com/index.php)
-   Mess Deck (https://www.shippinghistory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   virtual crazy gang, part II (https://www.shippinghistory.com/showthread.php?t=56)

Varley 7th July 2022 11:16

Damn me if we don't have a second hand ship salesman in the house.

When we want to own one we'll bloody we'll let you know.

YM-Mundrabilla 7th July 2022 11:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyboy (Post 45363)
Bit old for nocturnal gymnastics YM so I'll pass on that.

Due to circumstances beyond my control I find it increasingly difficult to keep pushing this thread along. Hence my lack of postings. Anyone want to buy the Golden Dreamer? I dont mind posting when I can but cant keep posting like I used to in the distant passed.

Me too BB.
Perhaps we should stay aboard and let ES cavort? :p

Tmac1720 7th July 2022 12:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by YM-Mundrabilla (Post 45365)
Me too BB.
Perhaps we should stay aboard and let ES cavort? :p

For God's sake don't encourage him :eek: It's the same every Twelfth of July, he runs amok with my Lambeg drums and with the drink in him he even scares me :chuckle:

Tmac1720 7th July 2022 12:55

Hold fast Sir William, don't jump ship just yet, the old tub just wouldn't be the same without you and in that I am unanimous.

Engine Serang 7th July 2022 15:13

I am unanimis too.

BB we need a steady (steadish) hand on the tiller and can run with the minimum of guidance. If you hand over to Lord V I'm sleeping on deck.
Are there any pallets in the holds, I need a few for a wee BBQ on next Monday evening, all are invited.

billyboy 7th July 2022 23:09

Lets head for Brest. ES and Tmac should be happy there.
The Blind Piper Pub is one of many Irish pubs in Brest. It's located in the block southwest of the Liberté square. They serve their Kilkenny fresh, with the expected Irish pub ambience.

Océanopolis, ☏ +33 298 34 40 40. This giant aquarium has 3 thematic pavilions (polar, tropical and temperate) that offers a discovery of the world's oceans. Located at the Moulin Blanc port. edit
1 Brest Castle (Château de Brest), ☏ +33 298 22 12 39. The houses the Navy Museum, which has a collection of craft models, paintings and sculptures. Château de Brest (Q2633625) on Wikidata Château de Brest on Wikipedia edit
The Tanguy Tower [1], located near the Recouvrance bridge, houses a permanent exhibition on the history of the town.
Art gallery, 24 rue Traverse. Phone: +33 298 00 87 96.
The Vallon du Stang Alar houses a famous botanic garden and greenhouses.
Ateliers des Capucins, 25 Rue de Pontaniou. Les Ateliers des Capucins is the biggest covered public square in Europe. (updated Jan 2022 | edit)
Should keep us busy looking around eh.

Engine Serang 8th July 2022 06:59

Billy you forgot the Musée d'Nipples on the Rue D'Cleevage. Tel +33 678 0102

A grand place to linger after a few in the Blind Beggar.

billyboy 8th July 2022 09:01

Noted ES. will ring when we get there.

Cut-outs! single up to a brest slipper.
Ring down stand by min engines.

fore and aft thrusters to port. Let go the slipper!
Stop thrusters. slow ahead both. Keep her in the middle quartermaster.

Full ahead both. revs for 20 knots.

Varley 8th July 2022 10:53

Irish ambience?

(And if I sew on those extra two rings you, E-S, won't be bloody sleeping until bloody well tell you to and that goes for the rest of you. If you want cushy keep Sir W. If you want the old girl to make-a-da-profit with the field days that go with that then let him go)

I've doctored his passport so immigration won't let him off but he might manage it by presenting his discharge book if he brought it with him. I'll be in me workshop inventing the combined AIS/LRIT ankle tag.

Engine Serang 8th July 2022 11:45

Ah the old LRIT raises its ugly head again, even the LRIT people know fcuk nothing about it. Do educate us Master V.

billyboy 8th July 2022 22:25

we still have the older version down in the Brig. still got its Chain attached to the Iron ball.

Tmac used it beat the local Scouts at Conkers.

Varley 9th July 2022 12:31

LRIT. A formerly straightforward application of Inmarsat C used to report one's position to one's managing kremlin entirely screwed up by IMO. IMHO 'conformance testing', when the application became mandatory and the report also submitted to vessel's flag state, centred around the cost of the airtime to which Flag would be committed and therefore obsessed with avoiding the unnecessary 'restarting' messages (which owners using the application with excellent service providers such as Purplefinder, had been swallowing for some years).

If I sound jaundiced it is because the industry that sprung up around it becoming mandatory was bent on sweeping all the morons available into their employment.

(However, if one did have a defaulting client one could - here I conjecture only you must understand - leave in place the DNID on their vessel's CSat when it leaves management. Then the defaulting client may be surprised should his vessel call at a port where the Admiralty Marshall's writ runs well to find her position has been reported to creditors on a daily basis. No one would ever, ever, do this though would they?)

AIS. A system that would have allowed Capt. Smith to view a suitably equipped vessel which might otherwise have been hidden by floating ice.

Engine Serang 10th July 2022 07:43

A concise and informative explanation. It is a rare gift you have Mr V.

billyboy 10th July 2022 13:52

I'll have you know my Electrical officer is man of many skilled talents.
any problems a knock on his cabin door with a bottle of vintage port and Mr Varley will fix it for you.

Varley 10th July 2022 17:38

Tawny.

Whomsoever taketh only vintage hath given an hostage unto prosperity.

(After Bacon - Francis, not streaky)

billyboy 10th July 2022 19:26

Hmmmm...Tawny flavoured Bacon. now theres a thought. Must have a word with chief cook.

Engine Serang 10th July 2022 22:43

Wasn't dear old Nelson brought back to Blighty in a barrel of Tawney? He was indeed. Rather undignified but probably the only way in 1806. And in anyways I've a soft spot for the Admiral after all every year I'm invited to tuck into a Baron of Beef to celebrate him giving Boney a bloody nose. Hip - Hip.............

Engine Serang 10th July 2022 23:00

What is a Brest Slipper?
Ought we have one?
Did Captain Smollett have one?
Are they digital and can V fix them?
Are they sturdy bits of kit or can YM break them?
I have a vague feeling they can encourage smuttiness, I do hope so.
Please inform.

Malcolm G 10th July 2022 23:21

Sounds French to me..
or was it all Greek?

Varley 10th July 2022 23:56

I think that was Spanish Brandy (he can't have had a square inch of varnish left on him by the time they got him out). I don't think Duncan would have entertained with port but his unfortunate junior intended to do so. The pipe of port he had cellared away for the celebration of the French defeat (another French defeat) has, not that long ago, been brought to the market. None if it was French except the musket ball, isn't the Greek stuff Ouzo?

billyboy 11th July 2022 07:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Engine Serang (Post 45387)
What is a Brest Slipper?
Ought we have one?
Did Captain Smollett have one?
Are they digital and can V fix them?
Are they sturdy bits of kit or can YM break them?
I have a vague feeling they can encourage smuttiness, I do hope so.
Please inform.

The last rope to let go of. Its usually around amidships area, the bight is passed ashore, round a bollard and back to the ship. simply let the bight slip overboard then haul it back in and the ship is free to get under way. No need for a berthing master, stevadore or dockers.

billyboy 11th July 2022 07:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Engine Serang (Post 45386)
Wasn't dear old Nelson brought back to Blighty in a barrel of Tawney? He was indeed. Rather undignified but probably the only way in 1806. And in anyways I've a soft spot for the Admiral after all every year I'm invited to tuck into a Baron of Beef to celebrate him giving Boney a bloody nose. Hip - Hip.............

Hence when "Spirits up" is piped the Rum Bosun dishes out a Tot of Nelsons Blood.

Engine Serang 11th July 2022 09:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyboy (Post 45390)
The last rope to let go of. Its usually around amidships area, the bight is passed ashore, round a bollard and back to the ship. simply let the bight slip overboard then haul it back in and the ship is free to get under way. No need for a berthing master, stevadore or dockers.

How terribly nautical. Sounds like a Bank Line wheez to save money. Do youse deck chaps still dip your hawsers?

Varley 11th July 2022 09:27

Dip his hawser? Not a bit, he's a married man. Like Caruthers, nothing wrong with Sir William.

(And look how you've agitated the plasticos at the mention. I've had to take several in hand else it'll be sandwiches for dinner).

billyboy 14th July 2022 22:47

Tanoy: Brest fine on the Starboard bow! (no not that kind ES...the Port! Oh no here comes David now requesting a Bottle of Tawny)
Cut outs stand by for Docking. Pilot on his way out to meet us.

Varley 15th July 2022 10:52

So that's what one calls a fine Breast. I always rather thought Matron's or Margaret Rutherford's as the templates.

Tmac1720 15th July 2022 12:05

Katie Price at the party
Had us all in fits
Diving off the mantlepiece
and bouncing on her ti*s

Ooooohhh Matron, more tea Vicar?

Varley 18th July 2022 15:58

I suspect the Chief's got a package AC in his gaff, what with time to do doggerel instead of colouring in the log. The rest of us are dripping scrotally (or whichever ladybit is traditional for those differently equipped). I know the class approved plumbing is good for 45 degrees ambient but mine ain't. What about running up the AC for the rest of us?

Engine Serang 18th July 2022 22:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmac1720 (Post 45411)
Katie Price at the party
Had us all in fits
Diving off the mantlepiece
and bouncing on her ti*s

Ooooohhh Matron, more tea Vicar?

Reminds me of the Master in Texaco, Captain McVicar, known to one and all as "More Tea"

YM-Mundrabilla 19th July 2022 01:21

AC in the stokehold would be nice.

Engine Serang 19th July 2022 07:19

If only we could get YM in the stokehold, the bugger spends every waking minute waltzing up and down the bridge wing with a camera slung around his neck.

Malcolm G 19th July 2022 07:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by YM-Mundrabilla (Post 45434)
AC in the stokehold would be nice.

That is the basic principal of refrigeration - remove heat from somewhere and it has to go somewhere else. Guess where?

YM-Mundrabilla 19th July 2022 08:36

Purely for medicinal purposes!
Just keeping up my Vitamin D level although I hope one day to get to fiddle about with that big brass thingy that says go and stop in the hope of giving ES something to do.
As for the camera we never seem to get close enough to the beach even with a perve lens so I content myself with passing vessels.
How goes the heat up there? 11° C down here.:p

Varley 19th July 2022 09:46

You mean that global warming implies that a distant planet, linked to ours with some sort of thermodynamic Higgs Bison, is suffering from global cooling?

Engine Serang 19th July 2022 09:58

33 degrees in Dublin, highest recorded since weather station opened in 1887. Ireland not suffering from fires as we are lightly forested and fires tend to be bracken, shrubs and heathery things; note I'm not a great gardener.

The Insurance Corporation of Ireland using a risk analysis from the great fire of London decided to re-insure assets of Australian Telecom in the London market. Well bugger me if there was not terrible bush fires in 1985 which burnt down all the telegraph poles and the Irish Government had to bail the ICI out to the tune of a lot.
We all now pay an annual Insurance Levy to try to balance the books. So the poor old koala was not the only looser.

Tmac1720 19th July 2022 15:13

The A/C in my funnel suite is working perfectly, you sweaty lot are barred from even approaching the door otherwise I will turn the fire hose on each of you. If sweltering in the unexpected heat I would respectfully suggest open the porthole and stick the air scoop I kindly provided into the wind. Beware of heat exhaustion, which I know is a rarity for you deckie type persons. The first sign is the sweat runs down the shuck of your ars* (ask ES he will translate) be advised you are NOT melting merely discharging excess moisture via the stern orifice or should that be oriffi (must check with Varley the correct terminology from his lexicon) :smoking:

Be advised situation is normal in Norn Iron... its pissing with rain here as usual :really_mad:

Varley 19th July 2022 17:40

I think only if one has more than one fundamental orifice (In this case I should use 'you' instead of 'one' as it's going to be yours where one will 'stick' the complimentary airscoop unless you take the bloody padlock off that compressor starter).

Engine Serang 19th July 2022 17:46

I'm not sure about your spelling of "Shuck", you have to be from North of Ahoghill to get the "ouch" sound right.
Anyways it is contiguous to the area where the Good Lord built a sewage works next to a pleasure park. Nowadays definitions are more loosely open to Mount Cnoc an Fhreiceadain interpretation.

billyboy 19th July 2022 23:37

Right lads. For those interested in the culture of Brest, A mini bus will be along side on the quay to take us on a guided tour. we will be taking in the museums, ancient churches and local bars along the way. Aquarium and botanical gardens well worth a visit they say. also a little bribery by me to the driver should get us to visit a Bar or three of particular interest to those who appreciate the beauty of local ladies.

170 Driver 20th July 2022 15:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by YM-Mundrabilla (Post 45437)
....so I content myself with passing vessels.

Ouch.
Must be tablets available for that ???