Shipping History

Shipping History (https://www.shippinghistory.com/index.php)
-   Mess Deck (https://www.shippinghistory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   virtual crazy gang, part II (https://www.shippinghistory.com/showthread.php?t=56)

billyboy 4th January 2018 09:20

it was nice last time I was there, all those ild houses made to look more pretty with red light bulbs.

YM-Mundrabilla 4th January 2018 10:31

No one is to interfere with the Little Mermaid.

Tmac1720 4th January 2018 15:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by YM-Mundrabilla (Post 10678)
No one is to interfere with the Little Mermaid.

Spoilsport, I was hoping to unbolt her and then mount her on the wheelhouse top :chuckle:

Farmer John 4th January 2018 17:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmac1720 (Post 10685)
Spoilsport, I was hoping to unbolt her and then mount her on the wheelhouse top :chuckle:

Mount her at your peril, she is quite heavy and will crush your ... desires. I know.

Why on top of the Wheelhouse? We don't want to see your shenanigans.

Put me off my breakfast, so it did.

McCloggie 4th January 2018 18:00

Copenhagen? My old stomping ground!

McC

Dartskipper 4th January 2018 19:46

Well, don't stomp too loudly. Our Chief Injuneer doesn't take kindly to unexplained noises above his Pit. I would hate to see you suffer the dire consequences of his senior hand zooming up your trouser leg to explore the origins of the noises. :sweat:

Tom Alexander 5th January 2018 06:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by McCloggie (Post 10690)
Copenhagen? My old stomping ground!

McC

Oh! A resident expert, Eh? Perhaps you would be so kind, if we hire a tour bus you could be our guide on a mobile bar crawl? Need a bus with lots of seats to hold any young ladies who wish to participate along the way? :supercool::supercool:

Red-17 5th January 2018 06:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Alexander (Post 10706)
Oh! A resident expert, Eh? Perhaps you would be so kind, if we hire a tour bus you could be our guide on a mobile bar crawl? Need a bus with lots of seats to hold any young ladies who wish to participate along the way? :supercool::supercool:

And just what will Sir William be organising for this young lady who may not wish to do a bus tour? :huh: What about me? :very_sad: Hmmm, that could be the title of a song. Oh, think it already is.

YM-Mundrabilla 5th January 2018 09:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red-17 (Post 10707)
And just what will Sir William be organising for this young lady who may not wish to do a bus tour? :huh: What about me? :very_sad: Hmmm, that could be the title of a song. Oh, think it already is.

No doubt you could find a push bike (or even a tandem if you can find someone to pedal it for you). You could follow the bus but somehow I don't think that this would be to your taste.

You could, of course, pose with the Little Mermaid for the 1,000s of Chinese tourists. I am sure that this would be a profitable enterprise. :wave:

billyboy 5th January 2018 12:33

oh you can sit next to me Red 17 (window seat so you can enjoy the sights.

McCloggie 5th January 2018 16:59

I have always tried to avoid stomping on the upper decks and I would certainly not want to disturb TMac and his crew.

McCloggie 5th January 2018 17:14

As for a trip round Copenhagen - no problems!

We can start in the Esplanaden/Nyhaven area. I have organised some international friends of the female variety from a certain Danish shipping company to join us. Once settled, we can head on to Cristian's before going on to Vesterbegoden.

An alternative shopping and eating trip can also be arranged for those of a nervous desposition!

McC

ssr481 5th January 2018 21:19

Hey Sir Wilhelm... guess who.. in Copenhagen, eh?? I've got some friends who can get us some really top grade hootch for the lounge.. gonna take Budgie 4.0 to get us some.

billyboy 5th January 2018 21:55

Take them this case of Scotch as a sweetener Jim with my compliments.

Tom Alexander 6th January 2018 06:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmac1720 (Post 10685)

Why you evil, scurrilous, thoughtless noncomepoop -- would you purposely raise our center of gravity, decreasing our transverse metacentric height and increase the period of roll and the resulting angle of heel ????? Any comparatively new crew members would probably be feeding the fish!! :chuckle::chuckle:

Tom Alexander 6th January 2018 06:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssr481 (Post 10734)
Hey Sir Wilhelm... guess who.. in Copenhagen, eh?? I've got some friends who can get us some really top grade hootch for the lounge.. gonna take Budgie 4.0 to get us some.

I've got a fully working model of the Warthog that can take off by remote control from the sun deck if you need any low level cover. :supercool:

Red-17 6th January 2018 10:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Alexander (Post 10739)
Why you evil, scurrilous, thoughtless noncomepoop -- would you purposely raise our center of gravity, decreasing our transverse metacentric height and increase the period of roll and the resulting angle of heel ????? Any comparatively new crew members would probably be feeding the fish!! :chuckle::chuckle:

Oooo, I do love it when you talk dirty Tom. Evil, scurrilous, ooooo! :shock:

billyboy 6th January 2018 11:49

Yes RED17, He's lovely when he is angry ha ha

Tmac1720 6th January 2018 16:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Alexander (Post 10739)

Ah ha we have a Naval Architect among us..... and NOT one who just designs belly buttons :chuckle: For those of you with a more nervous disposition the increase in metacentric height has been off set by the addition of the bolt on hull sponsons together with the appropriate deviation to the bending moment as indicated by the righting leavers..........so there no need for panic or getting your feet wet....yet :smoking:

By the way thank you for the compliment but is the word not nincompoop..(as in wonderfully qualified injuneer)

Tmac1720 6th January 2018 16:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red-17 (Post 10743)
Oooo, I do love it when you talk dirty Tom. Evil, scurrilous, ooooo! :shock:

He knows me sooooooooooo well but if you want dirty chat to an injuneer :kiss: we have expressions to make a statue blush :chuckle:

Farmer John 6th January 2018 17:53

Ah, Tmac, if an engineer can't keep us upright we are, basically, stuffed.

Tom, don't worry too much, we can always go out on the trapeze with wet jumpers on, though going about across our deck at least two railings and that damn mainboom vang to duck under. Sorry, my mind is flying across the water in a GP14 in a touchy breeze on a lake in the Lake District. I have to add, the weather is not our current Winter cold.

Or we could go for a drink in some low bar and see if we can see any young ladies (If we do, I am running for it).

Tmac1720 6th January 2018 19:21

Alas Farmer John keeping the vessel in an upright condition is "wee buns" however maintaining the same equilibrium on a personal condition proves rather more complex.... directly correlated to the ratio of Black Bush consumed. :pint::pint:

Red-17 6th January 2018 23:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmac1720 (Post 10751)
Ah ha we have a Naval Architect among us..... and NOT one who just designs belly buttons :chuckle: For those of you with a more nervous disposition the increase in metacentric height has been off set by the addition of the bolt on hull sponsons together with the appropriate deviation to the bending moment as indicated by the righting leavers..........so there no need for panic or getting your feet wet....yet :smoking:

By the way thank you for the compliment but is the word not nincompoop..(as in wonderfully qualified injuneer)

Why do I get the feeling Tmac that you make all of this up to sound edjucated and to keep the rest of us in awe of you. Should the word above, highlighted in red, be movement? :angel: Just asking. :balloon:

YM-Mundrabilla 7th January 2018 03:20

Sorry Red I think that Tmac is correct (as always).:curtain_call:

McCloggie 7th January 2018 04:07

Careful Red - you will upset him again!

McC

YM-Mundrabilla 7th January 2018 04:36

Perhaps try him on some medical terms and see how he goes?

(You know the 'spirit of reciprocity' and all that waffle plus the fact that 'offence is always the best defence' .....)

Tom Alexander 7th January 2018 06:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmac1720 (Post 10751)

Noncomepoop was the correct word chosen -- as in poop not come, signifying a serious case of anal retention. I flatly reuse to do panic, but when someone in the pit goes mucking about with the addition of hull sponsons, the chances are there will be deviation --- to our magnetic compasses which will have to be swung and corrected. :(

Tom Alexander 7th January 2018 07:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by YM-Mundrabilla (Post 10768)
Sorry Red I think that Tmac is correct (as always).:curtain_call:

Yes - have a look at this all the way through. The bending moment (simply put) is the force exerted at any particular point causing the ship to bend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmlTk_3NN_g

This is explained(more or less in layman's terms in:

http://www.marineengineering.org.uk/page82.html

Tmac - meet me in the pax lounge -- I think you owe me a double Cuba Libre for that. :)

Tom Alexander 7th January 2018 07:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farmer John (Post 10755)
Ah, Tmac, if an engineer can't keep us upright we are, basically, stuffed.

Tom, don't worry too much, we can always go out on the trapeze with wet jumpers on, though going about across our deck at least two railings and that damn mainboom vang to duck under. Sorry, my mind is flying across the water in a GP14 in a touchy breeze on a lake in the Lake District. I have to add, the weather is not our current Winter cold.

Or we could go for a drink in some low bar and see if we can see any young ladies (If we do, I am running for it).

I actually owned (and raced) a GP14 back in about 1968, 69. Wire or no wire I still had swimming lessons on a regular basis.

The drink in the low bar seems like a far more civilised method of getting wet. :pint:

Red-17 7th January 2018 10:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Alexander (Post 10773)
Yes - have a look at this all the way through. The bending moment (simply put) is the force exerted at any particular point causing the ship to bend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmlTk_3NN_g

This is explained(more or less in layman's terms in:

http://www.marineengineering.org.uk/page82.html

Tmac - meet me in the pax lounge -- I think you owe me a double Cuba Libre for that. :)

If this is true than I shamefacedly stand corrected. :egg: I am just wondering though why Tmac has left it to others to correct me. :smoking:

billyboy 7th January 2018 11:23

one time when she was bending I tried to address the matter......got my face slapped!!

Dartskipper 7th January 2018 12:55

The bending moment should not be confused with the "Righting moment." This is something entirely different, and has different connotations when applied to the engineering and seamanship departments.

In Tmac's realm, there are many highly precision engineered bits that operate on extremely close tolerances, (just like our Chief Injuneer, who is very tolerant provided you don't get too close to him when things go wrong.) When something starts doing what it isn't supposed to, Tmac makes a delicate adjustment with whatever he can find on the bench, and puts it right immediately. This is what we call his "Righting Moment.

On the bridge, the righting moment can mean something else. On a British vessel, the Master will say, "Hard a' Starboard, helmsman." On an American vessel, the command is more like ,"Shove the wheel hard right g*ddammit,"
This is also a "Righting Moment."

There are other definitions which can be found in various text books, including "Know Your Own Ship," by T.Walton. (The copy I inherited was published in 1920, so obviously won't apply to the Golden Dreamer II which was only built last year.)

Tmac1720 7th January 2018 16:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red-17 (Post 10776)
If this is true than I shamefacedly stand corrected. :egg: I am just wondering though why Tmac has left it to others to correct me. :smoking:

I wuzn't here to correct you young lady, I wuz busy demagnetising the hull sponsons using some old degausing cable I found in the spares locker ... :supercool: Anyhoo don't get me started on flume tanks and cross flooding otherwise we will be here all day. :bye:

Tmac1720 7th January 2018 16:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Alexander (Post 10772)
Noncomepoop was the correct word chosen -- as in poop not come, signifying a serious case of anal retention. I flatly reuse to do panic, but when someone in the pit goes mucking about with the addition of hull sponsons, the chances are there will be deviation --- to our magnetic compasses which will have to be swung and corrected. :(

no they won't, the sponsons are made from non magnetic plastic, duct tape and chockfast :smoking:

Tmac1720 7th January 2018 16:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Alexander (Post 10773)

Cheers young man, one, just the one mind I'm NOT made of money and am but a poor 'umble injuneer, pint of Cuba Libre awaits your pleasure in the pax lounge. :kiss:

Tom Alexander 8th January 2018 07:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmac1720 (Post 10785)
Cheers young man, one, just the one mind I'm NOT made of money and am but a poor 'umble injuneer, pint of Cuba Libre awaits your pleasure in the pax lounge. :kiss:

Thank you Tmac, grab yourself a Black Bush and here's to a continuing life of friendly banter and repartee. Cheers !! :pint:

billyboy 8th January 2018 08:34

Ah Tmac. Nice to see you up here in the PAX lounge. Can I get you one?

Tom Alexander 9th January 2018 05:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by McCloggie (Post 10728)
As for a trip round Copenhagen - no problems!

We can start in the Esplanaden/Nyhaven area. I have organised some international friends of the female variety from a certain Danish shipping company to join us. Once settled, we can head on to Cristian's before going on to Vesterbegoden.

An alternative shopping and eating trip can also be arranged for those of a nervous desposition!

McC

OK McCloggie -- Where's the bus -- we're already to go all dressed up in our best bib and tuckers! :supercool:

Red-17 9th January 2018 06:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Alexander (Post 10814)
OK McCloggie -- Where's the bus -- we're already to go all dressed up in our best bib and tuckers! :supercool:

I think that I will do the shopping and eating tour, that is if Sir William will lend me his platinum credit card. I haven't had a spend up for a long time. :chuckle:

McCloggie 9th January 2018 07:32

OK - bus is organised and will come to the gangway ASAP when called.

First stop Nyhaven where we can partake of a few wets and a stroll across Kongens Nytov to the Magasin du Nord department store for those that are interested!

If Sir William's card is up for it, we can try a meal I'm Nomu later (seriously voted the best restaurant in world!).

McC