Shipping History

Shipping History (https://www.shippinghistory.com/index.php)
-   Stormy Weather (https://www.shippinghistory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   It's really only a game .... (https://www.shippinghistory.com/showthread.php?t=5584)

YM-Mundrabilla 11th January 2023 12:01

It's really only a game ....

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/na...52553e63d1b95e

Malcolm G 11th January 2023 12:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by YM-Mundrabilla (Post 49476)

Sorry Geoff, but the link is to a subscription only web page.

YM-Mundrabilla 11th January 2023 13:11

Thanks Malcolm.

The broad drift is that a Vice Admiral, head of the RAN, took his bird on an overnight junket aboard a Collins class submarine off Western Australia during which he proposed to her.

Replaced five days later as head of the RAN by someone else but that decision had been made prior to the junket.

Malcolm G 11th January 2023 17:07

Here is the item on an open UK site:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Love-sub.html

My take - If the vessel was, as stated, on a specific PR trip rather than operational - What's the problem?

Engine Serang 11th January 2023 17:29

Is it worthwhile to take out a Full Digital Subscription to the Herald Sun? I already take the Irish Times.

The lady is bloody lucky the Sub didn't blow up, catch fire or sink. They've got a sickly reputation.

Varley 11th January 2023 18:26

A non story as in "my bwuver thwkweemed at me".

(Now, had they been found in a hammock in flagrente that might have been worth a by-line).

YM-Mundrabilla 12th January 2023 00:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Engine Serang (Post 49483)
Is it worthwhile to take out a Full Digital Subscription to the Herald Sun? I already take the Irish Times.

Definitely, utterly, absolutely, unarguably, unambiguously NO.

The Herald Sun (HUN) is a rubbish rag. :quill:

Quite apart from the foregoing about the HUN I find this trip an abuse of power for personal 'benefit/gain' and unprofessional to say the least.

Engine Serang 12th January 2023 06:54

That YM should find this trip an abuse of power for personal 'benefit/gain' and unprofessional to say the least puts him on a collision course with me and the vast majority of fellow posters. Admirals today can be focused entirely on their career and it is refreshing to find one who is a bit of a Card, a swashbuckler and an old romantic.
I don't suppose any of YM's railway mates ever entertained ladies on the Footplate especially on the long haul to Perth. YM do tell.

Varley 12th January 2023 13:41

Card an admiral you say? I knew he made Queen's Harbour Master but the Diamond D didn't 'do' Commodores and the like.

Sparkie2182 12th January 2023 14:15

"and the vast majority of fellow posters"

.....a long bow to draw.

Varley 13th January 2023 01:48

The 'majority' is fact. The 'vast' is a reasonable suspicion. That is not to say we should not drink with those puritans amongst us.

YM-Mundrabilla 13th January 2023 02:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Engine Serang (Post 49495)
That YM should find this trip an abuse of power for personal 'benefit/gain' and unprofessional to say the least puts him on a collision course with me and the vast majority of fellow posters. Admirals today can be focused entirely on their career and it is refreshing to find one who is a bit of a Card, a swashbuckler and an old romantic.
I don't suppose any of YM's railway mates ever entertained ladies on the Footplate especially on the long haul to Perth. YM do tell.

Well ES it looks like we must agree to disagree on this matter (and I am unanimous in that).:jester:
To me, this bloke misused his position for personal benefit. No doubt the taxpayer paid for her meals whilst on the submarine.
It's not a good look or example and I would hope that the remainder of defence and government is more professional. (Ha bloody ha) !!!!
There was, many years ago, a time when I believed that females and rolling stock didn't mix but I have mellowed since then.
As for the extraneous railway activities you mention I, like Sergeant Schultz, 'know nothing ........'.

Sparkie2182 13th January 2023 10:12

2 Attachment(s)
"Unbecoming of any leader"

.....Fits the bill.

In my view..... one of the reasons the UK is struggling in its own seemingly bottomless slurry pit is the wrong-doings of those in "High Places".

In any event..... Admirals have certainly changed ........for the better??.......:)

Malcolm G 13th January 2023 11:08

1 Attachment(s)
Or even further back…

Sparkie2182 13th January 2023 11:22

......lousy photo.

:)

Dartskipper 13th January 2023 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparkie2182 (Post 49529)
......lousy photo.

:)

Sure it wasn't fumigated?:jester:

Badinhc 12th July 2023 11:12

A hot place will be very hot, and a cold place will be very cold.

john Cassels 14th July 2023 19:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badinhc (Post 51725)
A hot place will be very hot, and a cold place will be very cold.

Wahhoee , couldn't have put it better !.

Engine Serang 15th July 2023 07:05

And a grilled plaice will be very tasty!