Shipping History

Shipping History (https://www.shippinghistory.com/index.php)
-   Brocklebank Line (https://www.shippinghistory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Indian woes! (https://www.shippinghistory.com/showthread.php?t=5325)

Phillthechill 9th May 2021 09:24

Indian woes!

Eh-up chaps!

Bloody good job we don't have to go to Cal., any more, what with Covid ravaging the Country.

Doubtless Kidderpore is jammed with ships going nowhere!

Isiah's? Shut-down I expect with all the 'mem's' laid-off!

Ha! With all THAT nonsense you'd think I'd been indulging in 'wacky-baccie'!

Nope! Not even a few cups of black Java!:bounce: Salaams, Phil

Dartskipper 9th May 2021 14:11

Hi Phil,

I renewed my contract for my home WiFi last week. The lady who dealt with it all and set up my new contract was clearly of Asian origin but spoke excellent English. She apologised for her noisy children in the background as she was working from home. In India. So we had a brief discussion about Covid as well as sorting out a new contract, and she sounded very cheerful and we had quite a few moments of hilarity and she sounded fairly untroubled. Her husband was also at home working in another room, so they had a house full of activity. She seemed confident that they would be ok, and their Government would overcome the current situation. I wished her and her family well.

I hope they come through this unscathed.

Regards,

Roy.

Phillthechill 11th May 2021 15:16

Ha! Deathly 'ush!

Why the 'deathly 'ush'?

I imagine it's probably because Members memsahibs have been asking, "Who was Isiah and what does 'mem's' mean?".

Or am I the only one who went down Free School Street?:quill: Salaams, Phil

Varley 11th May 2021 17:47

Well, Phil,

I, for one, didn't but I didn't need to be towed by the stem to gauge your set and drift.

Harry Nicholson 11th May 2021 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phillthechill (Post 38691)
Eh-up chaps!

Doubtless Kidderpore is jammed with ships going nowhere!

Phil

It's all changed, Phil. Alas, Kidderpore as viewed on Google Earth had but a single vessel when I last looked.
There is a modern port farther down the Hooghli river - which might be close to the Diamond Harbour we once knew.
Harry

Phillthechill 12th May 2021 10:27

Thanks Harry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Nicholson (Post 38718)
It's all changed, Phil. Alas, Kidderpore as viewed on Google Earth had but a single vessel when I last looked.
There is a modern port farther down the Hooghli river - which might be close to the Diamond Harbour we once knew.
Harry

. Doubtless India, like most Nations, have 'gone container' and they have had to build new 'Container Ports' close to the river mouths as there is no areas suitable for the thousands of boxes ready for loading, or transport to take them to their final destination. Cheers bud. Phil

Roger B 12th May 2021 15:02

Cal Woes

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phillthechill (Post 38713)
Why the 'deathly 'ush'?

I imagine it's probably because Members memsahibs have been asking, "Who was Isiah and what does 'mem's' mean?".

Or am I the only one who went down Free School Street?:quill: Salaams, Phil

Phil, Still remember those days or should I say nights, and still have a Pem dash of angostura in my G & T. Salaams, Roger