Shipping History

Shipping History (https://www.shippinghistory.com/index.php)
-   The Pig & Whistle (https://www.shippinghistory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Flying cars. (https://www.shippinghistory.com/showthread.php?t=5363)

Phillthechill 3rd July 2021 09:24

Flying cars.

I see the 'flying car' has reappeared with the forecast, 'This is the future!', accompanied by a description of hundreds of these vehicles criss-crossing towns/cities etc. etc.

Every one of the 'drivers/pilots' would need to have a PPL, (Private Pilots Licence) to be qualified to fly one of these vehicles with, also, the possibility of needing a CPL (Commercial Pilots Licence), if the vehicle in question was carrying a fare-paying passenger i.e. a taxi.

Could you imagine the chaos of hundreds of these car/aircraft flying at various altitudes, (as they would need to be in the current 'stacking system'), over our small island!

Methinks these vehicles will become toys for the super-rich and certainly not in every-day use! Phil

BobClay 3rd July 2021 09:49

I could envisage flying cars not under the control of the driver. Fully autonomous with large sensor arrays and rapid coms to a computerised ground based control centre and also to any other similar vehicle within say a 10 mile radius.
I'd have more trust in machines than some of the drivers I see on the roads today, the thought of them being in the sky .... !!!! :eek:

Varley 3rd July 2021 10:42

Two dimensional parallel parking, I am told, is difficult enough (especially, I am again told, for the memsahibery). In three would it be 33% more difficult or some form of square/cubic law?

I envisage little old shopping peoples, having just put the gear into 'park', stepping out 10 metres above the flycar park. Grannysplat.

BobClay 3rd July 2021 11:37

Fully autonomous means 'Granny' doesn't get to touch anything, merely announce where she wants to go.

'Dave' on the other hand, might encounter problems with the HAL sub-processor module.

:p

Ken Wood 3rd July 2021 19:37

If pigs can fly...........

Makko 3rd July 2021 20:47

I don't think that this "vaunted" plan will ever GET OFF THE GROUND! There, I said it.......I shall now go to sit in the corner.......
Rgds.
Dave (Not the one with HAL problems, BTW!).

ALARIC 4th July 2021 07:38

They worked for Dan Dare.

ShipwreckX 4th July 2021 08:24

I predict the insurance bills will be very high.

Engine Serang 4th July 2021 08:37

Has Jeremy Clarkson or Raymond Baxter test driven it or carried out a test flight?
There will, of course, have to be a Lifejacket under all seats.

BobClay 4th July 2021 09:47

1 Attachment(s)
Who needs a flying car when you've got a Suzuki GSXR1100 ? :big_tongue:

BMW drivers .... get out of the ******* way. (Still have it, but I'm getting a bit creaky for that sitting position these days.)

Malcolm G 4th July 2021 10:19

1 Attachment(s)
'The future' has been around forever...

Phillthechill 4th July 2021 11:12

Now THAT is a bike!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobClay (Post 39327)
Who needs a flying car when you've got a Suzuki GSXR1100 ? :big_tongue:

BMW drivers .... get out of the ******* way. (Still have it, but I'm getting a bit creaky for that sitting position these days.)

My eldest daughter had a boyfriend with a GSXR. He could ride it too!

My daughter and boyfriend, (John), lived with me for a while.

We three would go for a 'blast-out' on the twisty back-roads to Scarborough. Me on my Suzuki 1200 Bandit.

I would think I was riding as fast as it was possible to go on that twisty 'B' road and then John, (with daughter perched on the back!), would pass me on a corner, leaning-over at an angle which defied gravity and deafening me with a blast from his (legal, surprisingly!), stainless exhaust!

Happy days! NOW I'm reduced to whizzing-round on my three-wheeler 'scoot' at a blistering 8 m.p.h.!

Keep riding Bob no matter how 'creaky'.:applause: Phil

Engine Serang 4th July 2021 11:37

Has your moped a Bottleometer? and how far up the scale have you gotten? With that fairing is there a need to tuck your trousers into your socks like Geoff Dukes?

Tmac1720 4th July 2021 19:13

Flying cars eh?.... the cost will be through the roof (I'll just get my coat)

Makko 4th July 2021 21:50

I'll join you, TMac!!
Rgds.
Dave

Dartskipper 5th July 2021 14:03

Maybe these flying cars will be fitted with balloon tyres? If they are made in the UK they ought to also have big wings. And if a female driver/pilot was caught speeding by a traffic policeman, you could guarantee that the headline in a certain red top tabloid newspaper would probably be
"By 'ell 'e copped 'er."

OK,OK, I can hear the groans now..........

Makko 5th July 2021 14:13

Roy,
Join me and TMac - We're off for a pint!
Rgds.
Dave

Dartskipper 7th July 2021 13:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Makko (Post 39352)
Roy,
Join me and TMac - We're off for a pint!
Rgds.
Dave

Mine's a Bass Export! :pint:

BobClay 7th July 2021 14:00

1 Attachment(s)
If you're going in the Flying Car this might come in handy... (the more beer you have, the worse it gets. :sweat: )

Engine Serang 7th July 2021 15:49

I have made one of them. I glued the youngfellows Silva compass to a 6" ruler.

BobClay 7th July 2021 16:05

Seems to me there's a lot of obsession with six inches around here, bloody egos at work again. :egg:

ShipwreckX 8th July 2021 06:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobClay (Post 39379)
Seems to me there's a lot of obsession with six inches around here, bloody egos at work again. :egg:

I thought you all went metric.

Engine Serang 8th July 2021 07:21

The rumour on the highways and byways of the West Country is that Mr Clay is having trouble joining the local Hells Angels Chapter. One wonders why.

BobClay 8th July 2021 09:28

I tried but the electric bicycle didn't fit with the ethos. :sweat:

Malcolm G 8th July 2021 10:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShipwreckX (Post 39384)
I thought you all went metric.

No, around here it is six thumbs, or one third of an ell, or one and half hands.