Shipping History

Shipping History (https://www.shippinghistory.com/index.php)
-   Recipes & Cooking (https://www.shippinghistory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Oxtail (https://www.shippinghistory.com/showthread.php?t=2529)

RobPage 22nd May 2018 09:15

Oxtail

I used to love oxtail done by the night bakers on the Pendennis Castle , cooked one night , left simmering all day eaten the next night , all the meat having fallen off the bones , still do it at home occasionally now 12 hours in the slow cooker

Farmer John 22nd May 2018 09:37

My daughter cooks it often, favourite with the grandson, also cow feet. I like the oxtail, you can keep the feet.

RobPage 22nd May 2018 09:50

my late father used to cook calf's heels , a lot of bone and skin ,not much meat , he used to pick the edible stuff off and let it cool into a thick opaque jelly , not something I miss

erimus 22nd May 2018 11:49

I did like oxtail as a child but in the late 50's/early 60's I used to eat at an Aunt's house on a Wednesday as it was handy for where I was taking my Shipbrokers exams.. But every Wednesday was oxtail night,every Wednesday apart from Christmas Day........so after nearly 2 years I had enough and never went back to it!

geoff

Ninja 22nd May 2018 16:09

Oxtail

OxtailJardinere, very, very tasty followed by Brown Windsor soup the next day.

jg grant 5th September 2018 04:11

I fell fowl with the exec chef of the hotel corporation, an arrogant S African Portuguese because I was instructed to take the meat of the oxtail bones before service. I said,' this is stockyard confetti', who ever heard of serving oxtail off the bone? It completely destroys the character of the dish. I didn't last long after that but my contract was nearly up. I never did really learn how to click my heels when bidding him good morning either. I just used to do a John Wayne type 'Yope'. Typical continental chefs in that outfit. Grovel to the one above you and crap on the one below. Anyway, that group is long gone and I'm still here.

BobClay 5th September 2018 12:48

To be honest I'm not even sure what an Ox is … :big_tongue:

Farmer John 5th September 2018 15:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobClay (Post 17895)
To be honest I'm not even sure what an Ox is … :big_tongue:

If you can get hold of some oxtail, you could make your own investigations. Don't take the wrong turning.

erimus 5th September 2018 16:32

Surely Bob you remember the old joke? Waiter this oxtail soup only covers the bottom of the plate...retort was "well what do you think it does on the ox?"

geoff

Dartskipper 5th September 2018 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobPage (Post 14026)
my late father used to cook calf's heels , a lot of bone and skin ,not much meat , he used to pick the edible stuff off and let it cool into a thick opaque jelly , not something I miss

Calves Foot Jelly was one of the childhood memories I would rather forget, thank you very much. Whoever thought it a good idea to feed it to young children must have belonged to the sadistic school of thought that the worse something tastes, the better it is for you.

BobClay 5th September 2018 22:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartskipper (Post 17907)
Calves Foot Jelly was one of the childhood memories I would rather forget, thank you very much. Whoever thought it a good idea to feed it to young children must have belonged to the sadistic school of thought that the worse something tastes, the better it is for you.

Hence sago pudding in early school dinners. I want to eat frog spawn like I want to hop around a minefield on a pogo stick. :big_tongue:

tugger 11th September 2018 02:50

Hi Rob remember it well during the war when we could get it; but wasn't a keen grazer of it later. Not like Lamb shanks done in wine.
Tugger

RobPage 11th September 2018 05:39

still like it when properly cooked , like all slow cooked meats , especially cooked on the bone

Engine Serang 11th September 2018 07:34

It gets my vote. But it is a bit of a palaver to cook it. And hardly the healthy option.
Be a rebel cook an ox-tail.

BobClay 11th September 2018 09:02

What's cooking ? ..:big_tongue:

Farmer John 29th September 2018 17:59

I saw a lovely looking pack of oxtail in the local butcher's, buying stuff for one does put me off (Christine doesn't eat that kind of thing). When daughter and G-son come, I might get some. It looked quite fatted, she is just having intestinal problems, she probably can't eat it either.

Tom Alexander 30th September 2018 05:55

I used to like oxtail -- the meat nice and tender, just falling off the bone; no problem with the flavour as during the war ( the 2nd. for all you Weisenheimers out there!!) it sure beat the horse and whale meat.

I used to like Turtle Soup as well, until the environmentalists got in there. :(

Ray 30th September 2018 09:48

Ox tail on the simmer at the moment, leave overnight for dinner next day.:)

Engine Serang 30th September 2018 12:50

Memsahib bought an oxtail in Dublin yesterday, cost Euro 10. No longer cheap grub.

Varley 30th September 2018 15:09

But that is not the Irish staple is it E-S? Irish friend of mine returned midmonth from a day or two at the races. Did she bring a bottle of that wonderful cure-all and maker of fine coffee? No. Three bloody great sacks of potatoes.

I have assured her that the potatoes we grow here are perfectly safe. Added to which, if we have harvest failure it does not precipitate a treasonous rebellion.

(I mustn't complain. She is very generous in her entertaining and the dishes she prepares with them never fail to delight the many of us invited to her table).

Engine Serang 1st October 2018 09:36

Surely a big hairy asred sailor ,years before the mast, conqueror of Cape Horn etc, etc are not sipping Baileys with the blue rinse brigade?

Varley 1st October 2018 11:06

Ahr-hahhhr, E-S Lad!! (apologies to R L Stevenson).

There might have been a Baileys or two served amongst the many bottles sunk there. Not one of my failings but maybe that of another of the multitude. There may even have been a blue rinse or two amongst them that I have not noticed (not me 'though, doesn't go with my delicate complexion).

littoralcombat 3rd November 2018 10:02

You lucky sods! My tastes are somewhat basic and lazy in nature, in that I hanker after Oxtail Soup from a tin.....not available in Oz, although Heinz products are made over the 'ditch' in NZ. I feel an expat Pommie petition coming on.
Nige

Varley 3rd November 2018 11:21

She has corrected me. It was four bloody sacks!

Farmer John 5th November 2018 18:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by littoralcombat (Post 19463)
You lucky sods! My tastes are somewhat basic and lazy in nature, in that I hanker after Oxtail Soup from a tin.....not available in Oz, although Heinz products are made over the 'ditch' in NZ. I feel an expat Pommie petition coming on.
Nige

What, no Oxtail soup? That is taking gentility to very high level.