Shipping History

Shipping History (https://www.shippinghistory.com/index.php)
-   The Pig & Whistle (https://www.shippinghistory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Innumerate? (https://www.shippinghistory.com/showthread.php?t=5342)

Tim Gibbs 5th June 2021 08:14

Innumerate?

I have just heard on the news that Covid-19 infections have increased by three quarters. Does that mean that if they increase by another quarter, Covid-19 infections will have increased by one?

Malcolm G 5th June 2021 08:25

The same people who say '100% increase' rather than just saying 'double'.

Engine Serang 5th June 2021 08:57

Ah lads if you can't work that one out we're doomed.
If something increases by three-quarters it means it is slightly shorter than 4 football pitches but nearly as deep as an Olympic size swimming pool.
Think Phenolphthalein, how much para-Dimethylaminobenzaldehyde do you put in a FW boiler. About 3/4 or 66% would be fine. Likewise with the haversine of the angle theta between Venus and Rigel. And if suspicious of the answer, double it and tell the crew you put in 110% effort.

YM-Mundrabilla 5th June 2021 10:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Engine Serang (Post 38996)
If something increases by three-quarters it means it is slightly shorter than 4 football pitches but nearly as deep as an Olympic size swimming pool.
Think Phenolphthalein, how much para-Dimethylaminobenzaldehyde do you put in a FW boiler. About 3/4 or 66% would be fine. Likewise with the haversine of the angle theta between Venus and Rigel. And if suspicious of the answer, double it and tell the crew you put in 110% effort.

Sorry, but we're still doomed...................... :yawn:

Tim Gibbs 5th June 2021 11:43

I prefer to go to Fahrenheit as it's always warmer there than at Celsius

Varley 5th June 2021 11:54

In a deep Celsian winter the minimum temperature can reach -50. In Dangabrielland it might go as low as -58.

Dartskipper 5th June 2021 12:25

Yes but, how many London double decker buses can you fit in one funnel?

rogd 5th June 2021 13:11

It'll be the size of Wales.

BobClay 5th June 2021 14:25

It will be infinitely large ... and then some.

Tmac1720 5th June 2021 15:34

Inch by thick probably running from nothing to feck all.

Makko 5th June 2021 17:08

A good laugh, gents! Thanks.
Then there is the "smidgeon"..........
Rgds.
Dave

Rod Matheson 5th June 2021 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Engine Serang (Post 38996)

Thanks for simplifying it for us.

Engine Serang 5th June 2021 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Makko (Post 39004)
A good laugh, gents! Thanks.
Then there is the "smidgeon"..........
Rgds.
Dave

Or a midge's dick.

Makko 5th June 2021 20:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Engine Serang (Post 39006)
Or a midge's dick.

That's the one I was trying to remember! Another "fine" measurement here in Mexico is a pubic hair!

Phenolpthalein - I took over from a 4/E who was a filthy cont. He left me some boiler suits - They went over the wall the moment we were Full Away.

Anyway, the boiler water was horrendous. During handover, he had told me that everything was fine. I asked him about dosing and he said that he just threw a cup of "that stuff" in every day.

It took me about one week to fully bring everything under control and reliable. The C/E who had cobbed on to the shenanigans of the previous 4/E too late, asked me if I was falsifying the test results. I took him to show my routine and the test results. I felt quite good for a while having done a good job!

Rgds.
Dave

notnila 5th June 2021 23:37

in Scotland it's a bawhair !

Harlequin 6th June 2021 07:54

Almost exactly!

R58484957 6th June 2021 08:51

Greetings notnila and welcome to SH. Bon voyage.

BobClay 6th June 2021 09:36

All summed up with: "Close enough for government work ..." :rolleyes:

mictheeagle 6th June 2021 10:13

A Navy CPO whom I worked with on a survey job in Africa used the expression 'close enough for small ships' which always amused me.

Malcolm G 6th June 2021 11:30

For small quantities it all depends on what one is measuring and who is doing it
e.g.
Fluids, such as wine - un soup spoon.
Distance - A squidgee bit.
Time - tic or sec.

Engine Serang 6th June 2021 11:42

Let's all give ourselves a pat on the back for succeeding in our quest for accuracy and our commitment to nanotechnology.

Tmac1720 6th June 2021 11:44

Old Harland and Bluff measurement was the "peak o' your cap" if the peak of your cap fitted the gap it was close enough. Anything larger and the welder would fill it in. :jester:

al1934 6th June 2021 14:11

RN Ordnance Artificers had to work to within 2 thousands of an inch, while Engine Room Artificers were allowed 10 thou. Shipwrights notoriously worked to the nearest dockyard...

Jolly Jack 6th June 2021 14:34

All those above will do if you can't get it "Spot-on".....

JJ.

BobClay 6th June 2021 15:05

All sparkies work to the diameter of an electron. Problem is none of us have ever seen an electron, so we've had to invent something called: Electroguessology. :pint: