Shipping History

Shipping History (https://www.shippinghistory.com/index.php)
-   The Quiz Forum (https://www.shippinghistory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Unusual object (https://www.shippinghistory.com/showthread.php?t=541)

cueball44 11th June 2017 12:41

Unusual object

1 Attachment(s)
Any ideas what this is used for ? >

BobClay 11th June 2017 12:58

I'm guessing here ... looks like some kind of adjustable whistle (bear in mind, I've had a few .. :pint: )

Duncan112 11th June 2017 13:29

Cylinder Lubricator Quill?

jimg0nxx 11th June 2017 13:46

It is a duck sound simulator. Attract them then shoot them. Just been on BBC Bargain Hunt.

cueball44 11th June 2017 13:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimg0nxx (Post 4694)
It is a duck sound simulator. Attract them then shoot them. Just been on BBC Bargain Hunt.

That's where I saw it. Correct. :thumb:

cueball44 11th June 2017 14:07

1 Attachment(s)

cueball44 11th June 2017 14:24

1 Attachment(s)
What is it ? >

BobClay 11th June 2017 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by cueball44 (Post 4695)
That's where I saw it. Correct. :thumb:

So if I'm walking through a dark wood, and I blow into this thing ... I'm likely to get my head blown off ... :jester:

BobClay 11th June 2017 14:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by cueball44 (Post 4696)

There was an old saying in the Eighth Army (according to my Dad.) If you see a man walking off into the desert with one of those ... you don't ask him where he's going. :jump:

BobClay 11th June 2017 14:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by cueball44 (Post 4697)
What is it ? >

Looks like a valve spanner and screwdriver combined. The sort of thing you find in a shoulder holster ..... :jester:

cueball44 11th June 2017 14:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobClay (Post 4702)
Looks like a valve spanner and screwdriver combined. The sort of thing you find in a shoulder holster ..... :jester:

Spanner. Correct. :thumb:

cueball44 11th June 2017 14:50

1 Attachment(s)
What was this used for ? >

BobClay 11th June 2017 15:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by cueball44 (Post 4704)

I've had a conspiracy theory for sometime now. That buried deep in the Asteroid Belt there is an alien spaceship which is beaming an 'insanity beam' directly at the Earth.

Now you might think that's a bit weird, but I ask you this, look at the world about us ... and tell me if it hasn't gone as daft as a brush ?

Also consider that this is a much more economic way to conquer a world and plunder its resources than invading and blasting the crap out of everything (Independence Day style) .... just sit back, and let the locals do all the violent stuff.

So without doubt, this is a copy of the alien beaming machine that's making everybody doolally. :jester:

cueball44 11th June 2017 16:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobClay (Post 4706)
I've had a conspiracy theory for sometime now. That buried deep in the Asteroid Belt there is an alien spaceship which is beaming an 'insanity beam' directly at the Earth.

Now you might think that's a bit weird, but I ask you this, look at the world about us ... and tell me if it hasn't gone as daft as a brush ?

Also consider that this is a much more economic way to conquer a world and plunder its resources than invading and blasting the crap out of everything (Independence Day style) .... just sit back, and let the locals do all the violent stuff.

So without doubt, this is a copy of the alien beaming machine that's making everybody doolally. :jester:

Interesting theory. Nope. :balloon:

Malcolm G 11th June 2017 18:40

Quote:

A Sand anchor - screw it into wet or damp sand and tie your small boat to the loop on the top while you have your picnic on the beach.
With luck the tide wont have come in too far and you should be able to recover it to go home.

Malcolm G 11th June 2017 18:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by cueball44 (Post 4704)

Yes I have seen one and it was explained - but I've forgotten the details so not sure if this is all correct. :huh:

Basically comes from the days of sail when the helmsman was unable to read or write and make a proper record. They therefore used this board, which has the points of the compass in eight concentric rings and below a means of roughly recording when things happened, or were supposed to happen.

30 minute sand glass was used to record time, bell rung and peg placed in board - All cleared at end of watch.

cueball44 11th June 2017 19:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malcolm G (Post 4715)
A Sand anchor - screw it into wet or damp sand and tie your small boat to the loop on the top while you have your picnic on the beach.
With luck the tide wont have come in too far and you should be able to recover it to go home.

Not this one. :balloon:

cueball44 11th June 2017 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malcolm G (Post 4716)
Yes I have seen one and it was explained - but I've forgotten the details so not sure if this is all correct. :huh:

Basically comes from the days of sail when the helmsman was unable to read or write and make a proper record. They therefore used this board, which has the points of the compass in eight concentric rings and below a means of roughly recording when things happened, or were supposed to happen.

30 minute sand glass was used to record time, bell rung and peg placed in board - All cleared at end of watch.

Early navigation device. Correct. :thumb:

cueball44 11th June 2017 19:38

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Here's a clue >

Malcolm G 11th June 2017 19:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by cueball44 (Post 4719)
Here's a clue >

Yep gottit - A Beach safe storage box, Screw it in, lay the towel over it and your keys, phone etc are all out of sight.

Could still use it to anchor your small boat though :jump:

cueball44 11th June 2017 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malcolm G (Post 4720)
Yep gottit - A Beach safe storage box, Screw it in, lay the towel over it and your keys, phone etc are all out of sight.

Could still use it to anchor your small boat though :jump:

Correct. :thumb:

Duncan112 11th June 2017 21:35

#12 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traverse_board

cueball44 11th June 2017 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan112 (Post 4724)

You got it. :thumb:

cueball44 12th June 2017 14:38

1 Attachment(s)
What is it ? Where's it going ?

Makko 12th June 2017 15:09

#24 - Lock gate for the Panama Canal expansion.