Shipping History

Shipping History (https://www.shippinghistory.com/index.php)
-   The Pig & Whistle (https://www.shippinghistory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Losing and finding. (https://www.shippinghistory.com/showthread.php?t=1411)

Tom Alexander 30th November 2017 05:15

I have 6 places where I keep my "stuff": My place, my son's place, the boat, the travel trailer, my son's motor home and my car. The is one immutable law attached to this: Where ever I look for any particular item, it is never where I think I left it, it is never in any of the places where I look, and, as soon as I give up and purchase a new one, I immediately find the item I was looking for in the first place. The sub section to this law is that if I have two, or more, of the item I was looking for, they are all in the same place. :(

BobClay 30th November 2017 09:05

I've decided I've got a poltergeist. I'm currently revamping my computer room so as to put in an amateur radio station. Every time I put a tool down to do something else, the tool is moved to another place.

This isn't 'losing and finding.' This is a dark force from beyond .... :smoking::big_tongue:

Dave McGouldrick 30th November 2017 15:34

I'm sure most of us have a selection of pozidriv/phillips screwdrivers. Ever noticed that the one you can put your hand on is the one that's completely knacked?

erimus 30th November 2017 15:52

I bought a special calendar this last month as a present for our daughter.....I said ' I am putting it here in a safe place as we lost the one last year"...........neither of us can remember where this safe place is and we have two weeks before she is back in country..........urghhh

geoff

Malcolm G 30th November 2017 16:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave McGouldrick (Post 9596)
I'm sure most of us have a selection of pozidriv/phillips screwdrivers. Ever noticed that the one you can put your hand on is the one that's completely knacked?

Nowadays we, in theory, get around that problem by using power drivers with separate bits.
So when the bit wears out you can just bin it - But you don't, you throw it in your tooolbox and when you are looking for a new one next time you can only find that one.
System works with Stanley knife blades as well.

BobClay 30th November 2017 17:37

I think the phrase for old knackered tools (as well as a host of other things) is: "Well I don't want to throw it away, it might come in useful for something down the road." :sweat:

Naytikos 30th November 2017 18:34

I too belong to that school which never throws anything away. I still use a wire-stripping tool given to me by my father 55 years ago; all of the more recent ones have disappeared.
Has anyone else noticed that the more useful a device is, the more legs it grows in order to relocate to somewhere other than where it is supposed to be?

Question: Why is a grub-screw driver like a teaspoon?

Answer: Because no matter how many of them one has, there is never one available when needed.

Dartskipper 1st December 2017 22:17

The law governing the suitability of the tool that you can find for a job is not the same as the tool that you need for the job, is related to another law that dictates that the last nut you need to slacken off in the most difficult place to access, is rusted solid.

These laws were first established by that obscure Victorian steam age engineer, Septimus Onesimus Dickinson, and have been known ever since as "S.O.D's Laws.":)

Tom Alexander 2nd December 2017 08:05

I think this may sum it all up!

https://1funny.com/the-remember-song/

ART6 2nd December 2017 17:23

I believe that as the years progress finding and losing develops an inverse progression in that losing becomes easier and finding becomes more difficult, and this is why I subscribe to the theory of parallel universes. These are where upon death one will be consigned to start all over in a new one, and it is into one of those where the tool I put down five minutes ago has migrated in preparation for my demise, although as others here have noted, it is one of the unexplained effects of quantum physics that purchasing a replacement causes the immediate reappearance of the original. This is called "quantum entanglement" and is not my fault.

Another explanation that does occur quite frequently is that the tool last used two months ago and urgently needed now was borrowed by #1 son and never returned, and the loan had been forgotten so a new one had to be bought. This is simply a variant of the parallel universes that one's offspring inhabit, and it is one in which quantum entanglement does not apply.

Farmer John 3rd December 2017 18:10

Two years ago my grandson dropped a toy engine when playing with it in my room. It has never been seen since! There is a lump in one corner of the room where stuff gets misplaced, but so far most stuff gets back.

I am going to post this and then dash over to The Other Site to see if it emerges there.

Dartskipper 3rd December 2017 18:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farmer John (Post 9775)
Two years ago my grandson dropped a toy engine when playing with it in my room. It has never been seen since! There is a lump in one corner of the room where stuff gets misplaced, but so far most stuff gets back.

I am going to post this and then dash over to The Other Site to see if it emerges there.

Yup. That proves it beyond all doubt.

Farmer John 3rd December 2017 18:55

There is a link! Who will advance a theory?

Naytikos 4th December 2017 04:30

posted by Farmer John:
Quote:

Engines have whistles; now, find the engine and you will find the missing boatswain's pipe.

Of course, if it really went over the edge it will be happily running up and down railway tracks on the underside of the Earth, with the driver thinking he's actually on the upper side.
Which simply proves my hypothesis: It's all in the eye of the observer……...

Varley 6th December 2017 14:04

The other site! More poof of the flat earth. Obviously SN is on one side (we will call it hear the dark side) and SH is on the other. The learned professors on SN are cogitating over the problem of gravity as the mass and its distribution seem wrong for M1M2/D^2 to reach 9.81 Newtons.

Perhaps we can incorporate the lost-things-coming-back effect. We should seek to determine the distance between the two planes and the density of the 'filling'. The answer, I am sure, will lie here.

BobClay 6th December 2017 17:53

Be advised the FEEP are watching and listening. (Flat Earth Enforcement Police.) :big_tongue:

Naytikos 2nd January 2018 21:08

They can't find us here, that debate is in another dimension.

BobClay 3rd January 2018 09:49

Bit of Cheltenham training will soon get you through that barrier. The Super String Diode is all you need.:big_tongue:

Malcolm G 2nd February 2018 18:44

1 Attachment(s)
Has anyone lost one of these? - Quantum physics may have the answer, or maybe not :supercool:

Farmer John 2nd February 2018 21:02

That is the notorious "Mistress" model with a fixed top ring. I know of it, but have never actually held (nay, caressed) one.

Tom Alexander 3rd February 2018 06:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Varley (Post 9858)
The other site! More poof of the flat earth. Obviously SN is on one side (we will call it hear the dark side) and SH is on the other. The learned professors on SN are cogitating over the problem of gravity as the mass and its distribution seem wrong for M1M2/D^2 to reach 9.81 Newtons.

Perhaps we can incorporate the lost-things-coming-back effect. We should seek to determine the distance between the two planes and the density of the 'filling'. The answer, I am sure, will lie here.

That sounds something like a chemical formula for a Peanut Butter Sandwich. :angel:

BobClay 3rd February 2018 11:27

Peanut butter is the spawn of the devil. It is the very epitome of evil. Even mentioning it can bring slithering monsters up from the depths of the unholy.

If ever there was a thing that should be lost, and never found, it is peanut butter. :smoking:

Dave McGouldrick 3rd February 2018 16:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobClay (Post 11384)
Peanut butter is the spawn of the devil. It is the very epitome of evil. Even mentioning it can bring slithering monsters up from the depths of the unholy.

If ever there was a thing that should be lost, and never found, it is peanut butter. :smoking:

But Peanut Butter on bread with Rasberry Jam on top is a rare delight..

BTW Just watched Scotland embarrassing themselves against Wales. Trying to get the missus to agree to relocating.:(

Farmer John 7th February 2018 17:42

Peanut butter, necktie of the Gods.

Apparently, if crossed with a hen you get a cock that sticks to the roof of your mouth! Something for both sexes.

Varley 14th February 2018 14:04

Peanut butter essential ingredient of best food. Pork sate/Nasi goring of Chinese crewed delights.