Shipping History

Shipping History (https://www.shippinghistory.com/index.php)
-   Say Hello (https://www.shippinghistory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   New Buttons (https://www.shippinghistory.com/showthread.php?t=2905)

Harry Nicholson 10th July 2018 21:21

New Buttons

Hello, good fellows. I'm pleased to find this harbour. I'm still tinkering with the buttons - I never did care for silicon chips - much happier with beam tetrodes and similar friendly valves. How I managed to end up supervising a TV studio is a long story.

Farmer John 10th July 2018 21:30

To quote Billy Bennet, tell us it Harry, if it's clean.

Dartskipper 10th July 2018 21:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Nicholson (Post 15869)
Hello, good fellows. I'm pleased to find this harbour. I'm still tinkering with the buttons - I never did care for silicon chips - much happier with beam tetrodes and similar friendly valves. How I managed to end up supervising a TV studio is a long story.

Hello Harry, good to have you on board the Happy Ship. A lot of us ended up in unexpected places and careers, so you will fit in well. Pull up a chair and settle in!

Harry Nicholson 10th July 2018 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartskipper (Post 15874)
Hello Harry, good to have you on board the Happy Ship. A lot of us ended up in unexpected places and careers, so you will fit in well. Pull up a chair and settle in!

Thank you both. I got into TV early when it was still new - they employed any technician who would not lose a commercial break. We made money for them and they kept throwing it through the door at us.
Still tinkering with the profile.

BobClay 10th July 2018 22:18

I've always loved that valve ... the 'beam-tetrode.' I mean, that's a much more impressive name than the 'bipolar transistor,' ... it's a bit more 'Flash Gordon.' :sweat:

I'm not knocking modern electronics, far from it (there isn't any way I'm going back to a 14 inch black and white television with 405 lines and was the size of a washing machine instead of a 65 inch high definition set which if you look at it sideways is barely 2 inches deep) but I kind of liked firing up the old Oceanspan with its three fingered salute of 807s as opposed to the small ICOM transceiver I now use (same power output) not much bigger than a shoe box that seems to stare at me as if I'm some sort of inferior being. :eek:

That isn't to say I'm going to sacrifice the ICOM for an old Marconi banger .... NOT GOING TO HAPPEN !!

But I do see the romance of the 'valve' ... as I do the steam engine. Bit it is something of a rose tinted view of the past.

tugger 11th July 2018 01:52

Trying this page, I keep being told I'm not logged in, I log in again am accepted then when i go to post I,m told I'm not logged in?????????
tugger

Tom Alexander 11th July 2018 07:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by tugger (Post 15892)
Trying this page, I keep being told I'm not logged in, I log in again am accepted then when i go to post I,m told I'm not logged in?????????
tugger

Bugger, Tugger --- I have experienced that the odd time in the past, but it usually happened when I had followed a link on the internet, and then wound up following another link, etc. When I got back to SH I supposed I had "timed out", or something. The same thing used to happen on that other site as well, even when it was working well. Hope that helps?

R58484957 11th July 2018 08:32

Greetings Harry and welcome to SH. Bon voyage.

erimus 11th July 2018 10:45

Welcome Harry....Good to have the other Horsley clan member this side.

geoff

billyboy 12th July 2018 00:10

A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great new site has to offer.

Dave McGouldrick 13th July 2018 09:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobClay (Post 15878)
I've always loved that valve ... the 'beam-tetrode.' I mean, that's a much more impressive name than the 'bipolar transistor,' ... it's a bit more 'Flash Gordon.' :sweat:

I'm not knocking modern electronics, far from it (there isn't any way I'm going back to a 14 inch black and white television with 405 lines and was the size of a washing machine instead of a 65 inch high definition set which if you look at it sideways is barely 2 inches deep) but I kind of liked firing up the old Oceanspan with its three fingered salute of 807s as opposed to the small ICOM transceiver I now use (same power output) not much bigger than a shoe box that seems to stare at me as if I'm some sort of inferior being. :eek:

That isn't to say I'm going to sacrifice the ICOM for an old Marconi banger .... NOT GOING TO HAPPEN !!

But I do see the romance of the 'valve' ... as I do the steam engine. Bit it is something of a rose tinted view of the past.

A favourite of mine was 'Varactor Diode' (damned if I can remember what it was).
Try saying it in a Fred Lloyd accent......

BobClay 13th July 2018 11:06

… And then there things like Klystrons and Thyratrons !! Back in the days of knife switches and arcs of electricity flying about .. maybe a sown together Boris Karloff type monster lying somewhere out on the back bench .. :eek:

There's just no romance in electronics anymore …. :sweat:

Dave McGouldrick 13th July 2018 13:33

"There's just no romance in electronics anymore …. :sweat:"

Speaking of romance - Raquel Welch in Bedazzled on Talking Pictures TV 9pm tonight. Brace yourself Bob

BobClay 13th July 2018 14:44

I think she played a character called 'Lust' in that !!! :eek:

Farmer John 13th July 2018 22:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobClay (Post 16001)

You are suspiciously well informed. Have you got a thing about Dinosaurs?

Malcolm G 13th July 2018 23:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobClay (Post 16001)

Lilian Lust - Her's was the only '7 deadly sins' characters to have a first name.

Back on thread - Welcome aboard Harry, to a happy ship. :)

BobClay 14th July 2018 09:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farmer John (Post 16027)
You are suspiciously well informed. Have you got a thing about Dinosaurs?

Only if Raquel Welch is involved. (It does get a bit impractical in bed. :eek:)