Shipping History

Shipping History (https://www.shippinghistory.com/index.php)
-   The Pig & Whistle (https://www.shippinghistory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Ships in Movies (https://www.shippinghistory.com/showthread.php?t=432)

BobClay 4th June 2017 12:53

Is it still there ? ...

cueball44 4th June 2017 13:33

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Malcolm G (Post 4224)
This one... Anybody name it?

Aboard the Manxman Night Club 1995/1996.

Islay 5th June 2017 08:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobClay (Post 4325)
Is it still there ? ...

Sad to say, it still is Bob.
As is the Arctic Penguin, a three masted schooner built in 1911.
They both form part of the Inveraray Maritime Museum, but they need sprucing up!

BobClay 5th June 2017 09:11

Thanks Islay, I found them on Google Earth. I'd have thought they deserved a bit of attention. The Parahandy programmes are fondly remembered. :)

Islay 5th June 2017 17:43

I hear the Town Planning Committee are seeking to secure funds to finance the two vessels refurbishment ... remains to be seen.
Aye, the Parahandy tales were a good laugh.

Doug

JimP 5th June 2017 19:15

I was on a ship named Sara Lupe,on charter to TMM(Mexico) from Reardon Smith. We were at anchor at Vancouver when a film called Journey into Fear was partially made. Stars on board included Vincent Price, Stanley Holloway Shelly Winters and several more. I think it was about 1974/75.

Pat Kennedy 5th June 2017 20:13

I once saw a Film called "Away all Boats" starring Jeff Chandler as CO of a USN Amphibious Attack Transport, Belinda (APA22). This was filmed aboard USS Pierce (APA 50) and seemed to me to be completely authentic as regards ship handling and dialogue etc.

BobClay 13th June 2017 09:27

Wonderful nautical advice from the Onion Knight in the finale of Game of Thrones Season Three:

"Have you been in a boat before ?"
"No."
"Can you swim ?"
"No."
"Don't fall out."

:jester:

BobClay 15th June 2017 20:04

Watching a re-run of 'Run Silent Run Deep' on Sky tonight I was curious about the submarine in the film. It seemed pretty big to me, but I'm no expert. IMDB guided me to the 'Redfish,' a US Navy sub of World War Two vintage. There is quite an extensive amount of information on her on Wikipedia.

She had an impressive war record.

She had quite a film career too. She was used in the Disney film '20,000 Leagues Under the Sea' and as the fleet sub 'Nerka' in 'Run Silent Run Deep.'

She was decommissioned in 1968 and sunk as a target shortly afterward, which to me seems a pity. I would have thought given her history she might have been worthy of preservation.

Dartskipper 15th June 2017 20:10

There may still be a submarine on display near the USS Massachusetts at Battleship Cove, Fall River. I visited it in 1973, and was impressed by the amount of room on board. (And the Fairbanks Morse main engines.) Sorry I don't remember the name of the sub.

Ninja 15th June 2017 20:27

Sailed on the Oswestry Grange, she starred in Tiger Bay.

Dave McGouldrick 22nd June 2017 19:16

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Islay (Post 4364)
Sad to say, it still is Bob.
As is the Arctic Penguin, a three masted schooner built in 1911.
They both form part of the Inveraray Maritime Museum, but they need sprucing up!

Was in Inverary yesterday enjoying the dreich Scottish weather whilst the rest of the UK was sweltering.
The schooner has gone. The puffer is still there. Had a recent coat of paint. A genny was running. Guy in coveralls working onboard and a 'suit' on a cellphone. Still can't get on to the pier.

Chadburn 22nd June 2017 19:54

Looking at the photo you have taken it looks like she now has a Diesel M/E and a diesel Genny? a practical conversion but enthusiastic followers of these vessels are looking for the steam experience.
I worked on the M/E aboard Vic 32 when she was at Whitby for Keith.

BobClay 22nd June 2017 20:28

Nice pix Dave. Any ideas what's happened to the schooner ?

Islay 24th June 2017 09:54

Aye nice photos Dave ... and it's good to see the old puffer looking sparkling and clean again ...
as I said, last January she was looking in a very sorry state.
Perhaps the local council did get off their backsides and spend a few bob on her.
Wonder what's happened to the schooner ...

cueball44 26th June 2017 13:44

1 Attachment(s)
Arctic Penguin assisted by Venture on her way South to new owners.

Dartskipper 30th June 2017 22:04

Ill Met By Moonlight,

The film starring Dirk Bogarde and Cyril Cusack tells the story of the kidnap of a German General from German occupied Crete in WWII. After our heroes pull off this act of daring, they arrange to be picked up from the shore by a RN destroyer. A very brief view of the "destroyer" is seen, showing her at speed, and one of the final scenes is shot on board where the leading characters are gathered in what seems to be the destroyer's wardroom, at the foot of an accommodation ladder.
In fact, the "destroyer" is a "B" class Fairmile ML, and the "wardroom" is actually the lobby below the bridge, between the galley and the PO's accommodation.

Richard 30th June 2017 23:21

"Fire Below" A BP safety film. About a fire on a tanker, the ensuing court case, and the recommendations made by that court after the blame had been apportioned. Quite a big budget high quality film. Frequently shown before a Walport movie.

Peter Parker 1st July 2017 01:46

Ships In Movies

A Blue Funnel ship (an M boat) can be seen in the background as petr O'Tool reaches the Suez Canal. It was obviously a mistake as the M boats only existed from 1960ish.

Richard 1st July 2017 07:44

"The Maggie" On BBC2 (UK) this AM @ 08.30. A great comedy film about a Clyde Puffer and its crew. Worth watching with a cuppa & bikkie.

Gulpers 1st July 2017 07:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard (Post 5623)
"The Maggie" On BBC2 (UK) this AM @ 08.30. A great comedy film about a Clyde Puffer and its crew. Worth watching with a cuppa & bikkie.

Yep, a classic tale - and got to be better than watching Gatland's Lions getting pumped by the All Blacks! 🙄

sibby 1st July 2017 14:05

But Gatlands lions won.

sibby 1st July 2017 14:05

Gatlands lions won. A good result.

Varley 1st July 2017 14:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard (Post 5623)

"What a terrible man he is for the telephone" One of Pa's (ours) favourite films and quotes from it.

Gulpers 1st July 2017 16:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by sibby (Post 5640)
Gatlands lions won. A good result.

Lions Man of the Match - Sonny Bill Williams!

I was at Murrayfield 50 years ago when the last All Black was sent off. Sir Colin Meads - perhaps SBW will get a knighthood too! :supercool: