Shipping History

Shipping History (https://www.shippinghistory.com/index.php)
-   Computers and The Internet (https://www.shippinghistory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   NTLDR Missing (https://www.shippinghistory.com/showthread.php?t=5071)

threebs 26th February 2020 15:07

NTLDR Missing

Hi Guys help needed, laptop I use to post images has come up with this message,

NTLDR is missing

CTRL-Alt-DEL to restart

When I do it is just an endless recycle

Tried windows 10 disc on restart but sometimes get MBR

is missing or corrupted.

Also tried Boot Genius program but still no luck.

Latest--- Managed to get into CMD prompt admin via Minitool Recovery and tried Bootsect / Rebuild

MBR etc but comes up with either MBR not found or MBR missing or corrupted.

Malcolm G 26th February 2020 16:33

This might be the result of Windows update - Recent update to version 1909 may have only just gone on to your machine.
Why the hell it says NTLDR who knows. as far as I'm aware that ceased to exist when the last vestiges of NT were replaced.
If that is the problem then you need to open in safe mode and roll back or un-install the last update (1909). It will then reinstall it and hopefully do it properly this time.
I have had the same problem with 'Shuttle' PC more than a couple of times.

Alternatively ask Bob Clay - Bob, where are you?

threebs 26th February 2020 17:42

Hi Malcolm, Unfortunately no menu options at all, so cannot restore etc.

New original disc on my Toshiba laptop was partitioned c50% to save my

shipping folders on so hopefully they should be safe.

Malcolm G 26th February 2020 18:59

To start in safe mode:
Press on button and as soon as you hear it run press F8 repeatedly.
You should get a safe mode option, accept, it will load basics only but enough to do the job.

BobClay 26th February 2020 19:10

You don't mention what version of Windows you are using. What you need to do is boot up from a Windows Repair Disk, or Windows Installation Disk i.e. a CD or DVD. Insert that and watch the boot up process to see if the machine is set to boot up from a CD/DVD prior to going for the hard drive. It if is it will boot up from the CD and give some options one of which will be REPAIR which you select and hopefully it gets fixed.

If it doesn't boot from the CD/DVD then you need to go into the BIOS and set it to do so. The BIOS is a little bit tricky if you're not used to it, normally at the very beginning you may see an 'Enter SETUP' for a brief period and you usually press the F2 key or DEL key, but that should be indicated. Then you'll have to find your way to the BOOT menu and adjust options accordingly to make sure it goes for the CD/DVD first and the C drive second.

The errors you see are usually due to disk problems, or disk read problems or file corruptions on the disk. Make sure the Repair Disk or Installation Disk is the same Windows version of that installed.

Engine Serang 26th February 2020 20:24

Wrap it in brown paper and post it to Mr Clay, Cornwall. Dinna fret it'll find him. Enclose a paper pound note.

threebs 27th February 2020 09:23

Hi BobClay. It wont read the Windows 10 (v1909) repair disk I created for this laptop. Or USB Windows 10 created with Microsoft Media Creation tool. I am familiar on how to change bios settings for hardisk, dvd, usb etc.

Without MBR then there is no path to boot into Windows or the Advanced startup options etc.

F2 works to get into Bios but F8 does not work.

This is a Toshiba Satellite P855-32G, with latest version of windows 10 Home.

Sometimes I can get into CMD prompt admin and tried this

bootrec.exe /Rebuildbcd
bootrec.exe /Fixmbr
bootrec.exe /Fixboot

or this

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
c:
cd boot
attrib bcd -s -h -r
ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
bootrec /RebuildBcd

all okay until the last entries when it says cannot find BCD.

As you can see I am not unfamiliar with getting corrupted windows etc up and running over the

last 30 years or so but this has me stumped. Without a boot configuration file it will not

let me into various repair/restore options etc.

Sorry it is long winded but have tried to explain all.

Many thanks. threebs.

threebs 27th February 2020 09:57

Also tried SFC /Scannow and result says windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations.

LATEST,

Managed to get it to run widows reinstall setup from USB, Recognizes C: Partition and D: save partition I created originally. When selecting C: drive to reinstall windows it states the following---

Windows cannot be installed to this disk as it is of the GPT partition style. ???

It was of course NTFS file system. Searching online now to see if there is a simple way

to change it from GPT back to NTFS.

BobClay 27th February 2020 11:27

OK. I'm a bit surprised Windows 10 is on a GPT partition, normally that's used for Servers. However I browsed around online and there are a number of suggestions, some using third party software, probably not of much use, and others various command line options.

I searched on Bing using this entry "gpt partition style windows 10 install" and there seems to be a number of suggestions, including some YouTube videos.

Is the hard drive a standard SATA drive / SSD drive or a motherboard mounted M2 drive. I take it a new install of Windows isn't much of an option if you have personal files you need on the drive.

This page may be of help if you scroll down the PART 2.

https://www.easeus.com/partition-mas...partition.html

threebs 27th February 2020 12:23

Thanks Bob, Latest option I tried is Diskpart but cannot convert Disk 0 is shows back from GPT to MBR, maybe I am not using the right input.

I have Easeus Partition Master somewhere on another PC but of course cannot install it on faulty PC, unless there is a way of making it a bootable USB.

I assume it is a Standard Toshiba laptop 1 TB drive.

Windows wont install because of the GPT problem, I do not have any wanted personal files on C: drive (now GPT) as I keep everything on

the 500gb Save partition I created, it is this one I need to retrieve which I can see in Mini tool recovery but as it is 329gb of shipping files I

have nothing that big to save them to. Of course final solution maybe a new external hard drive but would PC recognize it in its present state ?

Other options online show Convert GPT to MBR with Windows Disk Management, but that cannot be accessed either.

threebs 27th February 2020 13:01

Latest: Now making easeus partition master bootable usb.

BobClay 27th February 2020 14:06

Please keep us informed threebs. I'm curious about how this all works.

threebs 27th February 2020 17:04

No problem Bob, Given up for today, will try Easeus boot usb tomorrow.

threebs 28th February 2020 17:24

Well changed hard drive from GPT back to MBR in Easeus, now it will not read Windows install disk.

Option shown on Easeus web site to fix MBR in program is not showing up at all. Crazy. Doing my head in lol.

Am now creating new Windows 10 image with media creation tool to see if it will read this.

Malcolm G 28th February 2020 19:41

It may be completely nuts with experts but my own sledgehammer approach, if I had this problem, would be:

Obtain and install a new physical hard drive, do a clean install of Windows, use the old HD as an external drive and interrogate it for whatever you can salvage, also maybe use your new Windows to check the old HD for hardware errors.

BobClay 29th February 2020 00:41

Given the peculiar setup on the original drive I would agree. At least, to recover any files on it I'd put it in an external dock drive on another computer to do so, but there seems to be something wrong with it which is preventing it being read properly.

A full re-install on a completely new drive if nothing else, would suggest the problem lies on the original disk, and not on any associated hardware in the machine itself. If that doesn't work, you have to start thinking there's something wrong outside the drive itself.

threebs 29th February 2020 09:10

Well what a saga Guys.

Remade Easeus bootable USB, eventually able to rebuild MBR. Remove and put in Windows USB,

Windows cannot install on MBR partitition, GRRR

Back into Easeus, change back to GPT partition, rebuild MBR, make primary, make Active

Check all in Diskpart to make sure, remove Easeus USB, restart with windows USB,

Result windows installed on GPT partition with Save D: section all okay with 109gb of shipping folders.

Have to install Photoshop next as I use it to reduce size of images to below 500kb for posting.

Will get external drive in next few days weather permitting, still wet and windy here.

Many thanks for all the ideas guys.

BobClay 29th February 2020 12:35

Very happy to hear of your success !!! :applause:

Definitely get that external drive for backup and most importantly for the 'system image' which is all built into Windows 10 (back to 7.)

Using left over old disks from computers long gone I keep three separate images of the C drive on this working computer, updating them after each new installation or update.

The old saying is: You can't have enough backups.

:thumb:

Engine Serang 29th February 2020 12:54

Mr Threebs brings the computer back to the shop he bought it from and speaks to the young chap from the sub-continent...…...

Mr. Threebs: 'Ello, I wish to register a complaint.

(The owner does not respond.)
Mr. Threebs: 'Ello, Miss?

Owner: What do you mean "miss"?

Mr. Threebs: (pause)I'm sorry, I have a cold. I wish to make a complaint!

Owner: We're closin' for lunch.

Mr. Threebs: Never mind that, my lad. I wish to complain about this computer what I purchased not half an hour ago from this very boutique.

Owner: Oh yes, the, uh, the Toshiba Satellite Pro...What's,uh...What's wrong with it?

Mr. Threebs: I'll tell you what's wrong with it, my lad. 'It's dead, that's what's wrong with it!

Owner: No, no, 'e's uh,...it's resting.

Mr. Threebs: Look, matey, I know a dead computer when I see one, and I'm looking at one right now.

Owner: No no it's not dead, it's, restin'! Remarkable computer, the Toshiba, idn'it, ay? Beautiful keyboard!

Mr. Threebs: The keyboard don't enter into it. It's stone dead.

Owner: No no no no, no, no! 'It's resting!

In despair Mr Threebs puts the Toshiba under his arm and tells the Owner he has no alternative but to put the matter in the hands of Mr Clay.

Sketch ends to wild applause and calls for an encore.

BobClay 29th February 2020 14:43

"If you hadn't nailed that disk to the motherboard, it would be pushing up the milliamps !! "

:sweat:

Varley 29th February 2020 15:39

The concluding (I trust) posts of this thread are pinning for the fjords. Where they can drown themselves.