Shipping History

Shipping History (https://www.shippinghistory.com/index.php)
-   The Pig & Whistle (https://www.shippinghistory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Huawei (https://www.shippinghistory.com/showthread.php?t=4037)

Varley 10th January 2019 15:17

Huawei

Probably one for Bob but why are we trying to exclude them?

If they are embedding evilware surely we should welcoming every sample to analyse so as to develop countermeasures whilst providing whoever is trying to mine our secrets and probe our integrated electronic systems with so much data, mostly of mundane import, that to analyse it becomes a economically crippling.

Refusing to confront it is rather like refusing to use that other Chinese initiative,- gunpowder.

BobClay 18th January 2019 02:00

Question of balance I would have thought. Opening the gates in hope of analysing every line of code to gain info but letting that code in with the possibility of losing info !

Seems like a bad move to me. If we can't do it ourselves, asking a potential enemy to do it … bit like:

"Hey Adolf, any chance you could supply some parts for our Bombe machine at Bletchley Park ?"

Tom Alexander 18th January 2019 06:52

Why don't we go back to writing in vegetable ink on rice paper -- read the message and then swallow it ---------"draught copy" takes on a whole new meaning and VERY difficult to decode other than "they" would be able to tell who your ancestors were from your DNA. :) :)

BobClay 18th January 2019 11:20

But where would the fun be in intercepting that. I don't mind a posting to some remote place on the far side of nowhere, but being inserted into someone's digestive tract … well … I'd want more money. :sweat:

:big_tongue:

Engine Serang 28th April 2019 20:28

A very prescient thread. Perhaps Mrs May should have read it.

Is GCHQ not monitoring the subversives on SH? And all the foreigners.

BobClay 28th April 2019 22:14

Reminds me of a joke I heard the other day.

A wife bought home an Amazon Echo (named Alexa) and set it up at home. When her husband came home from work and saw it he decided to have a joke and told her:

"Good God woman don't you know that those things are monitored continuously by GCHQ and the NSA, you've literally put a microphone directly into our home."

The wife looked very frightened for a minute, so he relented and burst out laughing.

Getting the joke the wife burst out laughing too.

Then Alexa burst out laughing as well.

:big_tongue:

tugger 29th April 2019 02:34

It's a joke realy, there's the Chinese unloading masses of stuff in the UK, and embedded in all kinds of electronic gadgets that go into every home in Britain is god knows what and they are worried about spying!!!
Tugger

Engine Serang 29th April 2019 07:38

there's the Chinese unloading masses of stuff in the UK,

Mostly noodles, chow moon and all manner of things with cashew nuts and black bean sauce. Do Huawei make woks?

BobClay 29th April 2019 08:33

Golden rule: EVERYTHING CAN BE HACKED.

With that, I have to goo to wok. (Staffordshire accent.) :sweat:

Varley 29th April 2019 11:00

2 Attachment(s)
No. But if Huawei did make woks they would do VSAT better than Carlsberg's (or M&S's). Wok/Huawok

Engine Serang 29th April 2019 11:54

More royalties for Ken Hom.

Dartskipper 29th April 2019 17:55

Whenever I see Huawei, I keep thinking of a Newcastle United supporter cheering on the Toon.

"Huawei the Lads." :hippy:

Tom Alexander 1st May 2019 06:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartskipper (Post 23039)
Whenever I see Huawei, I keep thinking of a Newcastle United supporter cheering on the Toon.

ye shudda seen us gannin',
We pass'd the foaks alang the road just as they wor stannin';
Thor wis lots o' lads an' lassies there, aal wi' smiling faces,
Gannin' alang the Scotswood Road, to see the Blaydon Races. :pint: :pint:

Jolly Jack 1st May 2019 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartskipper (Post 23039)

As a Geordie meself, me too Roy.

JJ.

Jolly Jack 1st May 2019 10:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Alexander (Post 23054)
ye shudda seen us gannin',
We pass'd the foaks alang the road just as they wor stannin';
Thor wis lots o' lads an' lassies there, aal wi' smiling faces,
Gannin' alang the Scotswood Road, to see the Blaydon Races. :pint: :pint:

Followed by two verses of 'The Lampton Worm', Tom.

JJ.