Shipping History

Shipping History (https://www.shippinghistory.com/index.php)
-   The Pig & Whistle (https://www.shippinghistory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   where were you born.... 1 Pic only..... (https://www.shippinghistory.com/showthread.php?t=183)

Steve 27th April 2017 15:27

where were you born.... 1 Pic only.....

1 Attachment(s)
Easy one to start the thread.....I was born here in 1960,the place has changed a lot over the years.

Where were you born 1 pic only!

Farmer John 27th April 2017 16:02

I don't have a photo, but the house I was born in was the house Charles Darwin was staying in when his "Origin of Species" was published.

Gordon Steel 27th April 2017 16:34

Where was I born

1 Attachment(s)
I was born here in 1955, guess where????Attachment 79

Steve 27th April 2017 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Steel (Post 1424)
I was born here in 1955, guess where????Attachment 79

Need a clue ?

Steve 27th April 2017 17:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farmer John (Post 1419)
I don't have a photo, but the house I was born in was the house Charles Darwin was staying in when his "Origin of Species" was published.

Somewhere in kent?

Gordon Steel 27th April 2017 17:35

Where I was born

OK, riddle me this - a stinking line of seats!!!!

Farmer John 27th April 2017 17:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 1429)
Somewhere in kent?

Ilkley, Yorkshire, He was taking the waters. It was St Winifred's Nursing Home when I was born there, they even have a Blue Plaque, though it is for Darwin, not me. The Hydro where he was taking the waters became a teacher's training College, that's where I got the missus from. No plaque there.

Gulpers 27th April 2017 17:57

1953 - a good vintage

1 Attachment(s)
Royal Maternity Hospital, 163 Rottenrow, Glasgow (Now demolished)

Chadburn 27th April 2017 18:01

Like Farmer John I have not got a photograph but I think they knocked the area down and put up a Parking Lot, I wonder if I could write a song about it, could be a hit.;) my Mother shipped us down to Malmesbury after the first bombing raid on Newcastle thinking it would be safer, unfortunately she did not take into account that it was on the direct route for German Aircraft bombing Bristol. We were on a Coach one day when one of the German aircraft decided use it for target practice, there were a number killed and many injured, fortunately myself, my Mother and my siblings got away with a few cuts from the shattered glass.

Gordon Steel 27th April 2017 18:08

Where I was born

Ah, the same place as gulpers but my picture shows what is left of the original building.
People make Glasgow!!!!

Chris Isaac 27th April 2017 18:28

1 Attachment(s)
I was born in 1946 in this rather grand house.
It had been converted into a nursing home during the war and had been the home of a VERY famous singer of the time.
Where is it? and Who was the famous singer?

BobClay 27th April 2017 18:33

1 Attachment(s)
Born here in 1946. Stafford General Infirmary (SGI.)

Top one took in 1992 and the building hadn't really changed at all. Bottom one shows it now. Much of the building gone and only the centre section left which is now offices. Red brick monstrosity to the left is a Currys. (There used to be a physiotherapy unit where that is and you could hear bikers screaming throughout the night as physio's practiced their dark arts down there.):D

ssr481 27th April 2017 18:56

1 Attachment(s)
I was born here .. in 1963.. can you guess where here is and from where I took the photo?? :cool:

Varley 27th April 2017 18:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Isaac (Post 1441)
I was born in 1946 in this rather grand house.
It had been converted into a nursing home during the war and had been the home of a VERY famous singer of the time.
Where is it? and Who was the famous singer?

Farnham? Peter Pears?

Varley 27th April 2017 18:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobClay (Post 1442)
Born here in 1946. Stafford General Infirmary (SGI.)

Top one took in 1992 and the building hadn't really changed at all. Bottom one shows it now. Much of the building gone and only the centre section left which is now offices. Red brick monstrosity to the left is a Currys. (There used to be a physiotherapy unit where that is and you could hear bikers screaming throughout the night as physio's practiced their dark arts down there.):D

But I see there is a blue plaque to mark your arrival.

Kevjacko 27th April 2017 23:24

Well. I always thought I was born in Tynemouth infirmary. Told everyone that, put it on all relevant forms and data when required. Then about 5 year back we were at a family funeral, passing where Tynemouth Infirmary used to stand which is now flats. For want of anything to say to break up the funeral car silence I said to my daughter about 15 at the time, "see them flats, that's where your dad was born, used to be Tynemouth Infirmary".
My Mam piped up, "No you weren't.
"Course I was" I retorted, "I've put it on every bloody form I ever had to fill in for the last 47 years or so".
"Well you weren't were you, it was in a nursing home somewhere in North Shields, can't remember the name though, and I should know I had you" said Mam.
Daughter has of course never let me forget that I don't know where I was born. "Could have been anywhere" is the sinister point she keeps making.

jmilcon 28th April 2017 00:43

ssr481,, Portland, Oregon?

John Rogers 28th April 2017 01:49

Born 1931, sorry no photo of the Stable with the Star above it.

Chris Isaac 28th April 2017 08:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Varley (Post 1449)
Farnham? Peter Pears?

Sorry but no.
It is The Towers in Bishop's Avenue (Millionaire's Mile) Hampstead.
It was the home of Gracie Fields.
Long gone now and replaced by a huge mansion owned by middle eastern interests.

billyboy 28th April 2017 10:08

Birthplace.

1 Attachment(s)
Born here in 1942....

Biggles Wader 28th April 2017 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyboy (Post 1538)
Born here in 1942....

Newhaven East Sussex?

Rowana 28th April 2017 19:51

1 Attachment(s)
Not exactly in a stable, but on a farm at least. A little village called St Cyrus, just north of Montrose on the east coast of Scotland. It was 1947, and the last farm where my Father used horses. I can just remember sitting on a pile of sacks at the front of a cart "driving" the horse - well, holding the reins anyway!

Picture is me with my Grandmother.

Alistair Macnab 28th April 2017 19:59

Born in Dalblair Nursing Home on Dalblair Road, Ayr. The building was eventually knocked down and a Volkswagen Agency erected in its place. Needless to say, I bought my first VW Passat station wagon there!
Alistair
(where's my avatar?)

Dartskipper 28th April 2017 21:34

I was born in 1951 at the Maycroft Nursing Home, Woodford Road, Wanstead, Essex. If you look it up on the web, you will find that Harry Roberts, who was jailed for the murder of 2 policemen at Braybrook Street, Shepherds Bush, was also born there. His parents were the landlord and lady of the George Hotel, Wanstead. (I went to Wanstead High School, just down the road in Redbridge Lane West. A famous alumni of my old school is Ronnie O'Sullivan, the snooker player,who's father did time for murder.)

Nice place, Wanstead. Very quiet.

billyboy 28th April 2017 22:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggles Wader (Post 1641)
Newhaven East Sussex?

Spot on Biggles. No31 South road to be exact.