Shipping History

Shipping History (https://www.shippinghistory.com/index.php)
-   Books, Magazines, TV, Video & Publications (https://www.shippinghistory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Shipping Magazines during lock down (https://www.shippinghistory.com/showthread.php?t=5089)

DAVIDJM 17th April 2020 13:40

Shipping Magazines during lock down

This is a problem we all will have if not a subscriber.

With the lock down and W H Smiths closed where can we get the latest shipping magazines.
Very few stores with carry the extra mags as they consider them non saleable.

so your mission, (I think impossible) is can you let us know where is the best place to go in the local areas.

I know how difficult transport can be in places here in south wales its almost worst then Sunday service.

take care folks ad be safe

David

Engine Serang 17th April 2020 16:06

Mr Rawlinson is penning a few ditties on Bank Line in our brother website, let him whet your appetite.

Engine Serang 2nd January 2022 10:10

Ships Monthly, Sea Breezes, Shipping Today and Yesterday.

3 magazines and one audience.

I buy one every issue, one regularly and one occasionally when the cover catches my eye. What are the buying habits of my colleagues and why is one chosen before the others.

Hawkey01 2nd January 2022 12:41

I take - Ships Monthly - and a friend has - Sea Breezes - after we had read our copies we exchange said magazines. Saves a few shillings.
Both of course are available by post direct from printers. Mine from my local paperman.

Neville

Varley 2nd January 2022 16:22

Sea Breezes.

Skerries 4th January 2022 01:40

Ships monthly - by post /subscription. Thinking of giving Sea Breezes a try since friend suggested it was ‘better’
Would welcome views….

Varley 4th January 2022 11:15

Skerries. There is a sample magazine available on Sea Breezes Website. Should give you a flavour. David V

Hawkey01 4th January 2022 11:25

Skerries,

I enjoy both of them. My one gripe with Ships Monthly is the very small type setting. This does make it difficult to read in certain light. Sea Breezes has far less about modern shipping but has very interesting articles. The magazine is slightly bigger and has much larger type.

Neville

DAVIDJM 7th January 2022 23:12

I buy Ships Monthly, Sea Breezes, Shipping today and Yesterday, and of course marine News, Coastal Shipping. (and lately) Warship International. With Complete sets of the first 5.
the biggest problem is finding indexes, especially Sea Breezes

Engine Serang 7th January 2022 23:30

Pension is fairly buggered.

expiloter 8th January 2022 09:46

Shipping Magazines during lockdown

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAVIDJM (Post 41434)
I buy Ships Monthly, Sea Breezes, Shipping today and Yesterday, and of course marine News, Coastal Shipping. (and lately) Warship International. With Complete sets of the first 5.
the biggest problem is finding indexes, especially Sea Breezes

Sea Breezes discontinued their Indices in 1999 with the introduction of A4 format in Vol. 73.

DAVIDJM 8th January 2022 17:26

Thanks for that info, it means I only need to finds another 30 - 35 Sea breezes indexes.

Engine Serang 9th January 2022 09:45

Think like a ships engineer;

A touch of ad hoc'ery, make do, compromise, study nearest equivalent and if necessary steal.
You will have your Index in jig time.

expiloter 9th January 2022 15:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAVIDJM (Post 41455)
Thanks for that info, it means I only need to finds another 30 - 35 Sea breezes indexes.

Sent you a pm

DAVIDJM 10th January 2022 18:02

Sorry no messages can you please try again

expiloter 11th January 2022 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAVIDJM (Post 41493)
Sorry no messages can you please try again

Gone now-sorry.

Engine Serang 27th January 2022 15:16

Bought all three in Dublin for Euro 20.48

All much of a muchness and all offer good value.

Can anyone recommend any other Maritime/Shipping magazine worth a read?

BillH 17th June 2022 22:11

learned today from a research colleague the Fotoflite, incorporating Skyphotos, recently became bankrupt and that the negative and print archive has been acquired by parties, as yet unidentified,

Engine Serang 22nd June 2022 11:50

You must live North of Watford.