Shipping History

Shipping History (https://www.shippinghistory.com/index.php)
-   Ships & The Breakers (https://www.shippinghistory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   cruise ships to the breakers (https://www.shippinghistory.com/showthread.php?t=5114)

shiplleana 27th July 2020 14:54

cruise ships to the breakers

1 Attachment(s)
so we had 2 x cruise ships go to the breakers yard - monarch x monarch of the seas and sovereign x sovereign of the seas with others to follow

Ted Else 27th July 2020 16:14

Signs of the economic future?? very sad to see any ship at the breakers though

BobClay 27th July 2020 17:42

And 747's rapidly disappearing out of the sky. They were going anyway, but this virus is the kicker.

Engine Serang 27th July 2020 20:41

Steam trains will be the next to go, mark my words.

BobClay 27th July 2020 20:50

Not if those nutjob volunteer railway enthusiasts have anything to do with it. (Don't get me wrong, I tip my hat to them.) :thumb:

Varley 28th July 2020 00:30

I see E-S has not come in person to stash his pension in one of Wicca Mona's piggy banks.

(The steam locomotive many, including me, can appreciate as an artifact worth preserving if not overly useful in terms of efficacy. When it comes to love of the cruise ship I have to wonder if block coefficient has something to do with council flats).

YM-Mundrabilla 28th July 2020 01:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Engine Serang (Post 31729)
Steam trains will be the next to go, mark my words.

Never mind about steam locomotives ES. We, here in OZ, are still running almost 70 odd year old EMD locomotives::applause:

https://youtu.be/pxc92rExtn8

The three GM class locos are from my home system (Commonwealth Railways) whilst the B and S class are ex Victorian Railways. The video was 2013 but all five locos are still running about.

Engine Serang 28th July 2020 08:26

What, no Dining Car?

Engine Serang 28th July 2020 08:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Varley (Post 31731)
I see E-S has not come in person to stash his pension in one of Wicca Mona's piggy banks.

No longer necessary to appear in the bank with a suitcase full of used notes. And it gave a bad impression with many locals wondering what their island home had sunk to. God help their wit, probably a genetic disorder.

Engine Serang 28th July 2020 08:37

When it comes to love of the cruise ship I have to wonder if block coefficient has something to do with council flats).

Jeez Mr V you can't see a bandwagon without jumping on it.
Never judge a book by its cover.

BobClay 28th July 2020 09:59

Notes ??? what are notes ??? :shock:

(Covid is going to see them off before any of these other things. I still have unused notes in my wallet from my last visit to a 'hole in the wall' just before the lockdown. Haven't paid anything in cash since I drew them out. 'Goodbye Paper Money' would make a good song title.)

Tmac1720 28th July 2020 11:32

I'm an injuneer, I don't have any money, notes or otherwise :very_sad::very_sad:

I started a "go fund me" page but all I got was very rude comments advising me where to go and what to do with myself when I got there :cloud:

Dave McGouldrick 28th July 2020 12:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobClay (Post 31736)
Notes ??? what are notes ??? :shock:

(Covid is going to see them off before any of these other things. I still have unused notes in my wallet from my last visit to a 'hole in the wall' just before the lockdown. Haven't paid anything in cash since I drew them out. 'Goodbye Paper Money' would make a good song title.)

Phaw!- amateur.... I still have One Pound notes from quite a while back (don't think anybody would be particularly interested in taking them as payment)

'Every penny a prisoner' :o

BobClay 28th July 2020 12:30

Yeah but you have an advantage Dave, you're from north of the border, where wallets contain vast treasures for archaeologists and palaeontologists.

:big_tongue:

Varley 28th July 2020 12:41

And and I have a 50p Note (it is not my only wealth), we also did plastic notes. Very, very difficult to tear and very, very resistant to wear. Not difficult at all to burn, though. In either sense.

(E-S, I know. One meets such interesting people on a bandwagon).

BobClay 28th July 2020 12:58

1 Attachment(s)
Well when I were't lad this wud last us 3 years ... (... and we'd still ave change !!) :p

Engine Serang 28th July 2020 14:48

The exact coin to buy a bar of McEuans Highland Toffee, the bar with the big cow on the label. You needed an extra "Penny" to get a chocolate coated bar.
PS. Not a big cow but a cow with big horns.

Dartskipper 28th July 2020 16:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Engine Serang (Post 31742)
The exact coin to buy a bar of McEuans Highland Toffee, the bar with the big cow on the label. You needed an extra "Penny" to get a chocolate coated bar.
PS. Not a big cow but a cow with big horns.

Now that confectioners are reducing the size of chocolate bars and such, (so that they don't have to increase the purchase price thereof,) would one of those Highland Toffees now be known as a "Little Big Horn?" I can see the battle at the counter now over the new smaller bar being the same price as last year when it was much bigger.

Thread drift strikes again.......:sweat:

Malcolm G 28th July 2020 18:45

Ten Bob note anyone?
No, not one of those fifty pence notes from Fingal's sod, a real ten SHILLING note.

Back on thread - It is perhaps worth pointing out that when SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS was launched back in 1988 it was hailed as 'The worlds first Mega cruise ship'

Engine Serang 28th July 2020 21:46

Was a passenger, guest, on Majesty of the Seas in 1999 and she was a top notch ship.
Like me she is rapidly running out of steam and heading for the knackers yard.

Hawkey01 29th July 2020 10:22

A good few in danger now.

CMV went into Administration on the 20th July.

Neville

Engine Serang 29th July 2020 11:59

When a Moderator types, " A good few in danger now.", I feel I'm due a telling off for being naughty and not being in "Stormy Weather".
Phew, got away with it this time.

Varley 29th July 2020 12:54

That you were a guest of Her Majesty, E-S, surprises some of us not a jot.

I was young passenger on Monte Anaga in the wayback. She looked like a proper ship.

Dave McGouldrick 29th July 2020 13:09

Make me realise just how long I sailed on cruise ships. That class were the latest thing when I started with Grunstad

YM-Mundrabilla 29th July 2020 15:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Engine Serang (Post 31747)
When a Moderator types, " A good few in danger now.", I feel I'm due a telling off for being naughty and not being in "Stormy Weather".
Phew, got away with it this time.

Do you perhaps have a guilty conscience?:jester::wave: