Shipping History

Shipping History (https://www.shippinghistory.com/index.php)
-   Shipbuilding 1900 -1960 (https://www.shippinghistory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   The good old days (https://www.shippinghistory.com/showthread.php?t=3833)

Tmac1720 29th November 2018 15:31

The good old days

Shipbuilding like it used to be

Farmer John 29th November 2018 18:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmac1720 (Post 19998)
Shipbuilding like it used to be

Could we have some limitation and indication as to time frame? I have a flint axe...

Tom Alexander 30th November 2018 08:13

Methinks that Tmac has come up with a Corten steel version of the Northumbrian spoke shavers coracle???

BobClay 30th November 2018 09:55

1 Attachment(s)
Ah yes … the good old days …. :jump:

Engine Serang 30th November 2018 18:30

Whatever you deleted worked.

Dartskipper 30th November 2018 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobClay (Post 20012)
Ah yes … the good old days …. :jump:

Could be a friendly discussion about ye weather or who won ye annual cheese rolling contest on ye olde village greene.

Jolly Jack 1st December 2018 10:58

A very astute person once said; "It is impossible to re-create the past. People, places and attitudes are so different now. It is best, just to bask in the pleasures of our own nostalgic memories of what once was".

JJ.

Dave McGouldrick 1st December 2018 13:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jolly Jack (Post 20024)
A very astute person once said; "It is impossible to re-create the past. People, places and attitudes are so different now. It is best, just to bask in the pleasures of our own nostalgic memories of what once was".

JJ.

When wearing my rose tinted hindsight specs, today's world gets a bit fuzzy round the edges (especially if helped with a glass of something sensible).

Seems just about right to me.:big_tongue:

BobClay 1st December 2018 14:03

(Or even something seriously un-sensible … :supercool: … )

Engine Serang 1st December 2018 16:53

"It is impossible to re-create the past".

You could make a bloody good stab at it by;

Put a case of Tennants in the hot press,
Draw the curtains in your bedroom,
Put the heating up to max,
Strip down to your skiddies,
Wrap a towel around your midriff,
Play a cassette of Demis Rousis or Nana on your Akai which was bought in Change Alley,
Invite a few friends in,
Talk about Bill Shankley, Alex Young and Billy Bremner,
Drink warm Tennants,
Let the beer bubbles come down your nose,
Turn -in at 23.45 because you are on Watch at midnight.

Varley 1st December 2018 18:34

What about EBAY. Most of what you need is available to reassemble without the need to recreate. A bit strange to have a Citizen slave running from a Seko master that won't go backwards and so far only one end of a telegraph (with no standby or FWE marked). I did idly look for a Hokushin data logger and am still looking for a Marconi Seaguard. My black museum could probably provide most of a thyripart excitation system.

I am sure between us we could probably do most of the outfit leaving the only problem a hull and perhaps the main engine (sorry could only help there with MIG can't do the real thing).

Tmac1720 1st December 2018 19:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farmer John (Post 20001)
Could we have some limitation and indication as to time frame? I have a flint axe...

apologies, I thought I had added the details to the photograph. Harland and Wolff shipyard, stopped on the Queens Road on the way to the Musgrave Shipyard. Photo dated March 1962 probably a bottom section for Regent Liverpool

BobClay 1st December 2018 19:31

1 Attachment(s)
Who needs all of that stuff when you've got one of these ….. :sweat:

Engine Serang 1st December 2018 21:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmac1720 (Post 20037)
apologies, I thought I had added the details to the photograph. Harland and Wolff shipyard, stopped on the Queens Road on the way to the Musgrave Shipyard. Photo dated March 1962 probably a bottom section for Regent Liverpool

I'm not the brightest socket in the set but I cannot find any photograph on #1. And no drink since Thursday evening!

YM-Mundrabilla 2nd December 2018 05:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Engine Serang (Post 20041)
I'm not the brightest socket in the set but I cannot find any photograph on #1. And no drink since Thursday evening!

Neither can I.
We are obviously either missing something or perhaps just 'on the outer'! :jester:

Engine Serang 2nd December 2018 07:30

When Texaco and Regent combined the Regent Liverpool changed name to the Texaco Bristol ( I think). Never knew it was built in Belfast. And why should I, in 1962 I had only one qualification, 11 Plus (Failed). Condemned to a secondary school and a life of toil and misery, sweat of my brow etc. I regard Charles deGaul as being responsible.

Les Gibson 2nd December 2018 13:28

ES
Your posts are always spot on. That last one could have been applied to me!
Take care

erimus 2nd December 2018 14:30

This can't be the first time,over either of the Forums,where we have managed to get so far on what we all thought was a deleted thread,surely??

Geoff ( not the Yardmaster)

Farmer John 2nd December 2018 14:45

First the post

Second the caption

Third time pays for all, the photo perhaps?

Engine Serang 2nd December 2018 16:20

Tmac your spelling is poor, there is no F' in photograph.

BobClay 2nd December 2018 16:25

This is getting a bit like an Agatha Christie novel. We're all gathered around seeking the hidden picture.... but …. who shall reveal it ?
(If it turns out to be Sergei … I'm gonna shoot the little f***er.) :big_tongue:

Farmer John 2nd December 2018 17:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobClay (Post 20058)
If it turns out to be Sergei … I'm gonna shoot the little f***er.) :big_tongue:

As in "Fotograph"?

Tom Alexander 3rd December 2018 08:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farmer John (Post 20060)
As in "Fotograph"?

No - got to be "fotograffer". (Take me to the dark room, Brunhilda! :supercool:)

YM-Mundrabilla 3rd December 2018 08:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by erimus (Post 20053)
This can't be the first time,over either of the Forums,where we have managed to get so far on what we all thought was a deleted thread,surely??

Geoff ( not the Yardmaster)

Geoff (not the YM)
:wave:
Geoff (YM)

Engine Serang 3rd December 2018 10:09

I thought Mr Mundrabilla sailed with Yang Ming line. What a silly-Billy I am.