Shipping History

Shipping History (https://www.shippinghistory.com/index.php)
-   The Pig & Whistle (https://www.shippinghistory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Ships in Movies (https://www.shippinghistory.com/showthread.php?t=432)

BobClay 26th May 2017 19:44

Ships in Movies

On Film 4 tonight was a film made in 1961 called: 'Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.' I was 14 when I first saw it at the local fleapit, and at the time thought it was the bees knees.

Tonight however I couldn't help but laugh, especially at one line near the end as the submarine was about to save the world. The admiral (Walter Pidgeon) is calling the 'power room' after many explosions and burned out controls:

"Power room, power room, what happened to the reactors ?"
"Dunno sir, they just quit."

You just don't get engineers like that anymore ... :big_tongue:

That film eventually spun off a TV series as I remember it, and the glass nosed submarine went on to save the world many times over. :wink:

Dave McGouldrick 28th May 2017 10:25

No doubt Bob, you remember scifi movies (usually black and white) where the sophisticated electronics included things like Lodestone DFs - ideal for comms when on FTL vessels.

Richard 28th May 2017 11:40

A film I saw a couple of weeks ago on TV called "The Mouse that Roared" A barmy film with Peter Sellers, had a couple of very short but good quality clips of the Queen Elizabeth and another of the smaller Cunarders of the Saxonia type at speed deep sea. A shame the clips weren't longer.

BobClay 28th May 2017 12:43

I quite often spotted old bits of test gear in some of those B movie scifi flicks. And there was always an oscilloscope with a lissajous figure on the screen, I think that was the anti-matter relief valve :big_tongue:

I remember that film 'The Mouse that Roared.' There was another one back then called 'Assault on a Queen' in which a gang of crooks recovered an old U Boat and decided to pull a heist on the Queen Mary at sea. I'm not sure if they used the actual ship for any of the footage .. !!

martin 28th May 2017 17:43

I was on the Canberra when bits of "Diamonds are Forever" was filmed, in Southampton. It was supposed to be LA.

BobClay 28th May 2017 18:51

There was another film set on a ship, with Richard Harris and Omar Sharif, about a bomb placed on a passenger ship, can't remember the title. Seem to remember seeing it on a trip via Walport much to the amusement of the crowd. :sweat:

Malcolm G 28th May 2017 19:11

A recall a film called 'Ghost ship' (?)- I think remake of original which was in B&W.

The most amusing part(s) of the film were the external shots of the hull;
Welded plates with portholes, welded plates without portholes, riveted plates with and without portholes.
and the height of the hull varied quite alarmingly from shot to shot.

Pat Kennedy 28th May 2017 19:25

The most realistic for me without any doubt, was the film The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With The Sea, starring Kris Kristofferson and Sarah Miles.
Some of it was filmed aboard the Blue Funnel ship Bellerophon, renamed Belle for the film and there are glimpses of the crew at work, including the bosun, The Ghoul, at the head of the gangway,

BobClay 28th May 2017 19:44

When I was a kid I was made up with the film version of Moby Dick starring Gregory Peck as Ahab. The other sea going film that impressed me was 'A Night to Remember' about the Titanic. Of course, being a kid and living the Midlands at the time I didn't know sh*t from a biscuit about ships, but I've seen both those films since and I'm still impressed by them.

Naytikos 28th May 2017 23:48

I was terrified by 'Moby Dick, in particular the character Queequeg whose tattoos were so frightening I ducked down behind the seats whenever he appeared on screen. Must have been nine at the time.

(And no I didn't remember that name, looked it up a few minutes ago!)

James_C 28th May 2017 23:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobClay (Post 3945)
There was another film set on a ship, with Richard Harris and Omar Sharif, about a bomb placed on a passenger ship, can't remember the title. Seem to remember seeing it on a trip via Walport much to the amusement of the crowd. :sweat:

I think that was "Juggernaut" which used MAXIM GORKIY.

BobClay 29th May 2017 00:15

That's the one. :D

daveybm 29th May 2017 09:30

You missed the James Bond film "The Spy Who Loved Me" starring the Shell tanker "Liparus" which was on yesterday.

Mike 29th May 2017 09:39

Parts of 'The Captain's Table' (1959) were filmed on 'Orsova' at Tilbury Docks. John Gregson, Peggy Cummins, Donald Sinden and Nadia Gray - among many other well-known names of that era.

Mike

BobClay 29th May 2017 10:38

What was the film where (allegedly) John Wayne read the Lat/Lon straight off the sextant ? I think he was Captain of a cargo ship somewhere in the Pacific.

Dave McGouldrick 29th May 2017 15:25

'THe Sea Chase' (?) where he wants to burn the lifeboats for fuel , and the crew aren't best pleased about it.

John Rogers 29th May 2017 15:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobClay (Post 3934)
I quite often spotted old bits of test gear in some of those B movie scifi flicks. And there was always an oscilloscope with a lissajous figure on the screen, I think that was the anti-matter relief valve :big_tongue:

I remember that film 'The Mouse that Roared.' There was another one back then called 'Assault on a Queen' in which a gang of crooks recovered an old U Boat and decided to pull a heist on the Queen Mary at sea. I'm not sure if they used the actual ship for any of the footage .. !!

I think that was Frank Sinatra and the Ratpack.

Dartskipper 29th May 2017 16:07

The film "The Bedford Incident," used a model to portray the USS Bedford, but on board scenes were filmed on HMS Troubridge, and near the start of the film, there are scenes showing HMS Wakeful. I think even the most unobservant viewer would have noticed the differences.

Bob Smith 29th May 2017 16:43

1 Attachment(s)
In Indiana Jones The Last Crusade, the Venice boat chase was filmed in Tilbury Dock showing the cable ship JOHN W MacKAY.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsFxWM46ZZM

BobClay 29th May 2017 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Smith (Post 3996)
In Indiana Jones The Last Crusade, the Venice boat chase was filmed in Tilbury Dock showing the cable ship JOHN W MacKAY.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsFxWM46ZZM

Now you've mentioned it the transition from Venice to Tilbury does jump out at you a bit ... :big_tongue:

Ode Indiana has an exciting life doesn't he ? Being chased about the place by a gang of psychopathic Tommy Coopers armed with broom-handle Mausers ? :wink::eek:

Tony Morris 30th May 2017 10:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobClay (Post 3984)
What was the film where (allegedly) John Wayne read the Lat/Lon straight off the sextant ? I think he was Captain of a cargo ship somewhere in the Pacific.

I think you woll find it was the "Wake of the Red Witch" from 1948.

ART6 30th May 2017 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard (Post 3927)
A film I saw a couple of weeks ago on TV called "The Mouse that Roared" A barmy film with Peter Sellers, had a couple of very short but good quality clips of the Queen Elizabeth and another of the smaller Cunarders of the Saxonia type at speed deep sea. A shame the clips weren't longer.

Was that the film about a tiny country that invaded the United States, with a view to being defeated and then enjoying American occupation with all of its benefits?

Richard 30th May 2017 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by ART6 (Post 4033)
Was that the film about a tiny country that invaded the United States, with a view to being defeated and then enjoying American occupation with all of its benefits?

Yes! That's the one. :)

Tony Morris 30th May 2017 19:55

Just turned on the TV and Speed 2: Cruise Control is on. What a load of bollocks it is. Must be the worst ever ship based movie ever.

BobClay 30th May 2017 21:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Morris (Post 4042)
Just turned on the TV and Speed 2: Cruise Control is on. What a load of bollocks it is. Must be the worst ever ship based movie ever.

I think even 'Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea' was probably better than that film .... :big_tongue: