Shipping History

Shipping History (https://www.shippinghistory.com/index.php)
-   Mess Deck (https://www.shippinghistory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   virtual crazy gang, part II (https://www.shippinghistory.com/showthread.php?t=56)

Farmer John 30th August 2017 16:09

Who forgot the bung THIS time? I just saw the little fountain in time, quick dab round with a sponge and it is fine.

Sir William, your speed boat awaits, the burble of the V8 is a wonderful sound. Rear suspension is lousy, Detroit muscle won't go round corners.

Varley 30th August 2017 23:32

Chilli-Gripewater, cracked pepper, celery salt and V8 juice. Fabulous Bloody Mary. Never heard them make a sound 'though. Not, anyway, until one had had two or so too many and then one hears one's head hit the deck quite loudly.

billyboy 31st August 2017 01:15

just have a quick look at the chart first. Dont want to hit any strange rocks with my pride and joy.

Click...whirrrrr.....Vroom!! Oh just listen to that sweet growl. JUst give it a quick test drive before taking folk ashore.
Vrooooooooom!! cough spit...rumble.....Silence.
Dang, no diesel!! see if i can raise Farmer John on my mobile.
Help, ran out of fuel. I am drifting out here.

Farmer John 31st August 2017 09:41

Sir William has been a long time on his little test pootle (spray to 30 feet).

I do hope he has remembered to switch the fuel on, or he will have to bleed the pump.

Why are the bleed nuts always unreachable from the lift pump? It does ensure you can only get it bled by getting soaked in fuel.

Actually, that model will self bleed when there is fuel.

Tmac1720 31st August 2017 15:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farmer John (Post 7517)

I do hope he has remembered to switch the fuel on, or he will have to bleed the pump. Nope he didn't:wink:

Why are the bleed nuts always unreachable from the lift pump? It does ensure you can only get it bled by getting soaked in fuel. 'cause that's the way us injuneers designed them to make the uninitiated keep their hands to themselves

Actually, that model will self bleed when there is fuel.

oh no it won't :paper:

Farmer John 31st August 2017 16:57

Tmac, will you come with me to help find Sir William and sort out his little bleeders, or shall I set out with my pairs of pliers and cold chisel and hammer? (this is known as the boy scout's tool kit.)

I could take the lovely little King Dick I have as well, but probably not use it.

Tmac1720 31st August 2017 17:17

As always a pleasure to assist you FJ, I assume you are agreeable to the usual rates?

Ah the old cold chisel and hammer eh?.... obviously you are trained in the old school of injuneering ;) however techkno....tecknol...tekchnol.... things have moved on these days and we use the handy size plasma cutter and a carbon grit blast...saves all that unnecessary effort and swearing as well as the knuckles.. :sweat:

As for your lovely little King Dick.. what you do in the privacy of your own cabin is entirely your business ;)

Dartskipper 31st August 2017 19:16

If Sir William's V8 doesn't start, try fitting this one ! We might have to make some minor adjustments to the engine beds and mounting feet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19eQBQep-sc

General Motors Detroit Diesel series 71. The most efficient machine ever devised by man to convert diesel fuel into noise.

Farmer John 31st August 2017 22:01

Tmac, the expert is worth his money. Let's go, Sir William will be getting hungry.

ssr481 31st August 2017 22:08

Now where am I?

Farmer John 31st August 2017 22:43

Don't worry, Sir William, we are on our way, bearing consumables to stay your hunger and thirst. There is, of course, a bottle of something soothing in the galley, and some of the horses hay is stowed in the cushions in the cockpit.

We have you targeted, we will be there in half an hour.

Farmer John 31st August 2017 22:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssr481 (Post 7536)
Now where am I?

At anchor off Richard's bay, Tmac and I are just rescuing Sir William form a little mechanical excursion he inadvertently took.

Can you check that the horse has enough water and such. Be good to see you when we return.

billyboy 1st September 2017 12:31

thank goodness they have spotted me at last. One of our cut outs in trouble for forgetting to refuel my boat.

billyboy 1st September 2017 12:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartskipper (Post 7532)
If Sir William's V8 doesn't start, try fitting this one ! We might have to make some minor adjustments to the engine beds and mounting feet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19eQBQep-sc

General Motors Detroit Diesel series 71. The most efficient machine ever devised by man to convert diesel fuel into noise.

Get them on the blower...I want that V 12. Sounds lovely.

Dartskipper 1st September 2017 14:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyboy (Post 7540)

They have a few finishing touches to do, and want to know what colour you want it painted. GM green, or Luxury Yacht white? They will be crating it up after preparing it for shipment, and can either fly it out on the next UPS Jumbo freighter, or we can pick it up when we are passing. I told them you had a special unlimited credit card, and they said they already heard about it, so payment at any time by fax, email, telegram, carrier pigeon or smoke signal is fine.

Farmer John 1st September 2017 16:09

It will need the fuel turning on even sooner.

Tmac, your bleeding of the fuel system was masterly, I noticed you delicately mopped a drip of diesel from the bleed valves with a tissue, to rub in the clumsiness of my efforts in the past.

All back on board, let's have a slight drink. Raise your glasses to Tmac, again I hear you all shout.

Plaggy stewards, a few cans of pees and some horses doofers, and none of those pineapple and cheese on sticks, that's a bit old fashioned.

ssr481 1st September 2017 21:10

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Farmer John (Post 7538)

Can you check that the horse has enough water and such. Be good to see you when we return.

I don't do horses old son... only multiples of 'em.. and usually when in conjunction with talking about flying machines... which is where I was last weekend and will be this weekend.. more Flying Fortress time...:cat::angel::wink::pint:

ssr481 1st September 2017 21:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyboy (Post 7540)

V-12??? Nah.. get a couple of Fairbanks-Morse 10 cylinder opposed piston diesels... though some of the restored diesel boats may look down on holes suddenly appearing where their engine rooms were..

Farmer John 1st September 2017 22:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssr481 (Post 7570)
though some of the restored diesel boats may look down on holes suddenly appearing where their engine rooms were..

We could devise an inflatable look alike. That might get us some time.

Probably in jail.....

Varley 2nd September 2017 00:14

Would it float like an inflatable or just look like one?

(Actually I understand there are some used inflatables under the funnel suite bunk. Don't even think there still good for a short time).

billyboy 2nd September 2017 00:50

Tmac...With this new engine coming I will need a different Prop. we will up our speed and power a great deal.

Farmer John 2nd September 2017 18:00

Maskelyne is reputed to have floated an image of the Bismark down the Thames made from a box of cornflakes and a balloon (or some such), but no-one took a picture. Is this the kind of prop youare thinking of, Sir William?

Dartskipper 2nd September 2017 19:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farmer John (Post 7593)
Maskelyne is reputed to have floated an image of the Bismark down the Thames made from a box of cornflakes and a balloon (or some such), but no-one took a picture. Is this the kind of prop youare thinking of, Sir William?

Didn't he make the Suez Canal disappear during the War? Wouldn't have fooled us though, not with our super powerful digital hyper definition radar scanner. (That funny looking thing whirling around at the top of the Christmas tree above the compass platform on the wheelhouse roof.)

billyboy 3rd September 2017 08:11

is that what that thing is? And I always thought it was a roundabout for Squeak!#

Tmac1720 3rd September 2017 18:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyboy (Post 7574)
Tmac...With this new engine coming I will need a different Prop. we will up our speed and power a great deal.

I excellent at screws Sire but may I suggest a water jet in this case ;)