Shipping History

Shipping History (https://www.shippinghistory.com/index.php)
-   The Quiz Forum (https://www.shippinghistory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Unusual object (https://www.shippinghistory.com/showthread.php?t=541)

cueball44 12th June 2017 15:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Makko (Post 4768)
#24 - Lock gate for the Panama Canal expansion.

Correct. :thumb:

Farmer John 12th June 2017 17:13

Hard disc, circa 1970, being delivered to my house. 32 Mbytes!

cueball44 13th June 2017 23:22

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone come across one of these ? What is it ?

cueball44 13th June 2017 23:27

1 Attachment(s)
What's this Cop doing ?

BobClay 14th June 2017 00:19

:eek:Some kind of dredger .... ? :eek:

At first I thought he was testing the bullet proofness of a helmet because I can't believe he's doing a finishing job on a failed execution ... :shock:

cueball44 14th June 2017 07:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobClay (Post 4869)
:eek:Some kind of dredger .... ? :eek:

At first I thought he was testing the bullet proofness of a helmet because I can't believe he's doing a finishing job on a failed execution ... :shock:

Manual Dredger. I wonder how far they got before 'Tea & Tab nabs'. Testing bullet proof glass. I wonder if he got danger money for sitting behind it.

BobClay 14th June 2017 07:38

I remember seeing a video of a man testing a bulletproof vest by being shot with a handgun at close range. Seemed an extremely dangerous way of testing the vest to me. I don't know that I'd trust anybody, no matter good a shot, to place the bullet exactly on the vest.

Malcolm G 14th June 2017 08:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by cueball44 (Post 4876)
Testing bullet proof glass. I wonder if he got danger money for sitting behind it.

I would be more worried about where the ricochets were going:confused:

.... The subject survived unscathed but the photographer was wounded:really_mad:

Dartskipper 15th June 2017 19:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobClay (Post 4877)
I remember seeing a video of a man testing a bulletproof vest by being shot with a handgun at close range. Seemed an extremely dangerous way of testing the vest to me. I don't know that I'd trust anybody, no matter good a shot, to place the bullet exactly on the vest.

I used to visit a company that made stab vests for the Police. Yes, they were tested with various stabbing implements that might be used by "the man in the street."
(They also supplied helmets to the South African Army and Police. The ones for the officers had extra layers of reinforcement.)

cueball44 20th February 2018 16:57

1 Attachment(s)
Do you recognise what this is ?

Makko 20th February 2018 19:32

#35 - Three drum admiralty boiler.

cueball44 20th February 2018 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Makko (Post 11958)
#35 - Three drum admiralty boiler.

Correct. :thumb:

JustWin 29th October 2018 21:10

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone seen one of these ? What is it ?

BobClay 29th October 2018 22:52

It's the tankard your beer comes in when it's a Yorkshireman's turn to buy a round … :D:big_tongue:

JustWin 30th October 2018 08:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobClay (Post 19340)
It's the tankard your beer comes in when it's a Yorkshireman's turn to buy a round … :D:big_tongue:

Not a tankard. But this Mug came in handy if you had the plague aboard. :eek:

JustWin 30th October 2018 13:49

And you will need a long pole to get it going.:shock:

Stollman12 30th October 2018 14:23

It is a signal cannon I saw one in a pawn stars episode on the History channel. I think it is called a thunder bug. The expert who was called in to appraise the object said that it was used in the 18th. century to summon Quarantine officers etc. When a ship first entered a port and went to anchor. The reason for the small size was to save powder in other words you got more bang for your buck. I can not remember how much it was sold for but it was a good few bob.

JustWin 30th October 2018 14:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stollman12 (Post 19359)
It is a signal cannon I saw one in a pawn stars episode on the History channel. I think it is called a thunder bug. The expert who was called in to appraise the object said that it was used in the 18th. century to summon Quarantine officers etc. When a ship first entered a port and went to anchor. The reason for the small size was to save powder in other words you got more bang for your buck. I can not remember how much it was sold for but it was a good few bob.

Correct. :thumb: I think it was also known as a 'Thunder Mug'.

BobClay 30th October 2018 15:01

Only a Yorkshireman could think of blowing your beer straight into your face in order to avoid paying for the round …. :big_tongue:

(Don't get me wrong, not that they're any better in Lancashire. )

(Being neutral is fine, but it should never stop you from taking the p1ss.)

:jester:

Stollman12 30th October 2018 15:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustWin (Post 19361)
Correct. :thumb: I think it was also known as a 'Thunder Mug'.

You are correct it's the american accent to a cockney's ears It sounded like bug but the appraiser said mug.'The yank's should learn how to speak the proper English' LOL

Farmer John 30th October 2018 16:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobClay (Post 19340)

I am glad you said "turn", we don't buy rounds.

See all, hear all, say nowt
Eat all, sup all, pay nowt,
And if ever tha does owt for nowt
Allus do it for thi sen.

BobClay 30th October 2018 20:40

"Appen."

(My impression of a Yorkshireman. Albeit a bit brief I'll admit. (Whatever way you look at it it's better than my Geordie impression.)) :big_tongue:

Farmer John 30th October 2018 22:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobClay (Post 19377)
"Appen."

(My impression of a Yorkshireman. Albeit a bit brief I'll admit. (Whatever way you look at it it's better than my Geordie impression.)) :big_tongue:

Tha's reet.

Say nowt.

JustWin 31st October 2018 21:36

1 Attachment(s)
What are we looking at here ? Can you name the Ship ? >

JustWin 3rd November 2018 08:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustWin (Post 19403)
What are we looking at here ? Can you name the Ship ? >

Clue > Battle of Kolombangara.